Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Saw a Dick Harrell car today, must say I am very disappointed by the quality...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sad thing is that when people have the money to buy these cars they do not take care of them the way they should. Regardless of how much this car is driven it should be clean. The engine bay is a disgrace. I can live with the flaws in the body work since these are hand built and adds to the uniqueness of the car but the other details should be meticulously taken care of. Something like this that is shown to others should never be dirty. My SS with over 102,000 on it is cleaner than this car and that is sad.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Being a detailer I can tell you that a very expensive car in less than perfect shape for it's purchase value is of no surprise at all and often the norm.
THANK YOU! I couldn't agree more. When I see a high-end car with obvious signs that it's actually DRIVEN, that makes my respect for the owner go up. It's not a faberge egg, it's a car. And even though the Harrell Camaros are arguably among the nicest ever built, it's still a Camaro, not a Veyron. Drive it, enjoy it, and keep it on the road, not in a glass case in your garage.

And to everyone getting their panties in a wad about him saying something negative about the vaunted Harrell cars, get over yourselves. Nobody cares if you saw them being built, saw one at a show, or saw a magazine article about one. The fact is, DEMONBIRD...er...6LITEREATER guy (who is NOT a troll, by any stretch) saw one and was honest about his opinions, without letting the "legend" get in the way. While I'd like to see the same car up close and personal like he did, he posted about what he saw, and I respect that. If I paid that kind of money for a special edition Camaro, I'd sure as hell want it to be as close to perfect as possible too.

-Mike
Old 06-02-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, so I was there too. I saw the legendary "Dick Harrell car". Was it cool? I suppose. Different? Definately! Look like it was daily driven? Yes (and i respect that). Look worth 100K? NO WAY.

The car was very unique but it did have very minimal issues. I DID see the slight imperfections in the paint just infront of the rear passengers side wheel (where it looks like the fenders had the work done) and to me it looked like the paint hadn't cured completely or the prep under the paint was compromised (maybe someone's oily finger touched it while he was watching it [and others] get built, and just had to feel the car??)

Maybe..... when the side stripes were redone the side of the car had to be possibly re-painted?? Could the new shop have not cared as much since it is after all, just a camaro??

Who knows. What I do know is that it was a unique car, and i'm lucky to have seen one with my very own eyes and i'm sure there are thousands of guys out there who might NEVER get to see one.

The fact alone that it gets driven is awesome, and i'm sure the owner of the DH camaro doesn't give a **** what we think or "know" anyway, since he drives it and enjoys it....the way WE ALL DO our camaros.

Afterall, isn't his car 7-8 years old? I wish mine looked that good (or could fetch that price)
Old 06-02-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
That could be one bad car in the batch, I mean you don't always **** a solid log do you?
Oh, and this could possibly be one of the greatest quotes i've ever read, lol!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I do not need to book a flight to see this car I saw it when it was being constructed and I saw it after it was completed. I have seen 90% of the wide body cars that were produced by GMMG and the craftmanship was outstanding.
Well either you haven't seen it as it sits now or don't know much about body work. Used to think my Maaco paintjob on my first Firebird was good. I just didn't know about orange peel and such things...

I've spent enough time hanging around a very good friend Chris (Whistler) one of the best body guys on this forum if not the country (I still haven't seen another Targa topped Camaro) to know what poor craftmanship looks like, maybe you don't.

Regarldess, the point is right now you are doing nothing more than talking out your @ss about the past. You aren't standing in front of the car seeing what I saw to make a judgement on it.

This is like someone going to the dealer with a car that blew up due to faulty gas lines and the dealer tells them they've seen millions of cars and none had that problem so the person must be imagining it...

GMMG has a very good reputation that was earned by producing great specialty vehicles. You are the only one who has ever criticze the quality of the build their cars. These cars have been featured in many magazine articles and at many automotive events. They have received nothing but stellar reviews.
Again, if you would have ACTUALLY READ MY POST I spoke plenty of good words about them, just said this ONE CAR had issues and it surprised me...

When you resorted to name calling and a personal attack it just reinforced my feelings that you are a just a jealous, envious person. A person that wants to demean a much nicer car than the one that you drive. Maybe you chould check into attending a anger management class or seek some counseling to help you with your obvious problem.
I simply responded to the way you spoke (typed) to me... You call me jealous because I say a car is awesome and inspired me but was thrown off when I could see what look like bondo lines... What did you expect?

You probably only know the term troll because it has been applied to you. This account alone has way more posts than you not including the 3000+ I had as DEMONBIRD before the name change. I don't talk **** but I don't ignore it either...
Old 06-02-2008, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

From this pic, one has to wonder if any additional tire clearance is gained over the stock quarterpanels?

Last edited by Greg99LS1; 06-02-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Are they perfect? No . . . But REMEMBER:

These cars are HAND built . . . nothing mass produced . . .

And 2nd, atleast SOMEONE had the ***** to build it . . .

Hand built cars have "unique" features or flaws . . . whichever you choose . . .
Hand me $100,000 and I'll hand you a car with some "unique" flaws such as this one and then let's see if your attitude is the same...

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
The 63 Grand Sport Replica Vette I helped build, looked awesome, but it too had what one could critique as horrific flaws, but it still sold for over $100,000 and was a BLAST to drive.

When you build a car like this with materials of diffent charateristics, and "moldablity" issues that you find aweful occur.

When you build a car yourself, then critique . . .
So you're coming from the stand point of a builder who can't get it perfect so has a certain level of acceptance for "not the best" work apparently.

Sorry, but I have been around better. If this car came out of Chip Foose's (who I have hung out with plenty) shop and he saw these flaws you bet your @ss it would be back in and done right... I have seen plenty of the Overhaulin' cars, Unique Cars he helped design and other customer cars in person and none had flaws this big. Let alone any of his show cars...

I am not a builder but again:

"I've spent enough time hanging around a very good friend Chris (Whistler) one of the best body guys on this forum if not the country (I still haven't seen another Targa topped Camaro) to know what poor craftmanship looks like..."

I spent countless nights with him doing minor things on up to helping wiht the cutsom bumper that is now on VSGLS1's car. I know what goes into it and I know how to spot bad work. End of story.

Yeah, sometimes you get a bad batch of stuff and it cures funny down the road (which is what could have happened on the fenders)... but the hood alignment? Come on now...

Again, my first encounter with the car I spent almost half an hour amazed I was actually seeing it in person, totally dumbstruck. The overall impression of the car, it looks AMAZING!

Second half hour, later in the day, the initial awe wore off and I started really checking it out (which I doubt the ordinary car show person gets the time to do) and that's when MIKE, not even myself, FIRST POINTED OUT had bad the fender was at about 40% of the angles you would look at it from...

I'm the nut job you see at shows that when he is fascinated (in love with) a car you can't drag me away untill I've laid on the ground all around the car just to take in every angle of it...

I don't do it to find flaws, cars I don't like due to flaws I make fun of (if someone is around) and keep moving. It is the cars I love that I camp out at most of the day.

No one else was hanging around this car for an hour and I didn't do it so I could come on here and trash it, it was just short of meeting Jesus for me.

God forgive me for coming on here and being honest about it
Old 06-02-2008, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

i dont think it looks all that great? am i missing somthing?
looks like a hideous try at a widebody look. i dont like it... at all.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Runamuck
i dont think it looks all that great? am i missing somthing?
looks like a hideous try at a widebody look. i dont like it... at all.
If you saw it in person you'd probably love it. It just really accentuates the natural lines of the Camaro.

Best way I can describe it is like comparing the 1967-1968 Camaro body to a 1969.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
If you saw it in person you'd probably love it. It just really accentuates the natural lines of the Camaro.

Best way I can describe it is like comparing the 1967-1968 Camaro body to a 1969.

ill take your word on it, but the pictures just make it Blah looking to me.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Runamuck
ill take your word on it, but the pictures just make it Blah looking to me.
i'm with you man, it was cool to see for what it is....but if i had the $$, I think i'd pass... It's just a camaro.

If anyone wants my sommer86 edition camaro it's for sale.... at the bargain price of $48K, lol. Custom front end and manta.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Meaning you haven't seen this one, like the OP has in person, correct? You're asserting that the craftsmanship on this car can't possibly be bad because you've seen others that were constructed well? I'm not trying to single you out in particular so please don't feel hostility, I am just trying to understand where your logic is in that argument.

I appreciate the OP actually giving first-hand experience, whether it is good or bad, with another Dick Harrell car. Is anyone really surprised that a DD DH car could be in less than optimal shape? Being a detailer I can tell you that a very expensive car in less than perfect shape for it's purchase value is of no surprise at all and often the norm.
I have seen the car in question. Read the first sentence. What part of my post saying that "I saw this car being constructed and saw it after completion" did you not understand. I saw this car again out on the Hot Rod Power Tour when it was still in its original configuration and it looked great. I've got some photos of it somewhere ... I'll see if I can dig them up ... This car has been to a body shop after it left GMMG. The origianal DH stripes are gone and the stripes on the hood have been changed too. Who ever did the work screwed up the car...as I said before none of the GMMG DH wide body cars that I have seen had poor craftmanship...I used 90% as a generality..there might have been a couple that I never saw but I have seen close to all them ... Beleive me you can't sell $100K + cars that have poor craftmanship .. The people who buy them are not bozo's thet just fell off the turnip truck..these guys are car guys and car collectors with deep pockets and know high quality when they see it .. I have seen DH cars that are 2, 3, and 4 years old and they still look as great as the day that they left GMMG...of course they have not been to some sorry azz body shop out west and been phuched with like this car obviously has... has the OP ever seen any other DH car in person or is this the only one.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What part of my post saying that "I saw this car being constructed and saw it after completion" did you not understand.
That sentence right there. I must have misread it. I didn't mean to question your omniscience on DH production.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Banned

I have seen the car in question. Read the first sentence. What part of my post saying that "I saw this car being constructed and saw it after completion" did you not understand. I saw this car again out on the Hot Rod Power Tour when it was still in its original configuration and it looked great. I've got some photos of it somewhere ... I'll see if I can dig them up ... This car has been to a body shop after it left GMMG. The origianal DH stripes are gone and the stripes on the hood have been changed too. Who ever did the work screwed up the car...as I said before none of the GMMG DH wide body cars that I have seen had poor craftmanship...I used 90% as a generality..there might have been a couple that I never saw but I have seen close to all them ... Beleive me you can't sell $100K + cars that have poor craftmanship .. The people who buy them are not bozo's thet just fell off the turnip truck..these guys are car guys and car collectors with deep pockets and know high quality when they see it .. I have seen DH cars that are 2, 3, and 4 years old and they still look as great as the day that they left GMMG...of course they have not been to some sorry azz body shop out west and been phuched with like this car obviously has... has the OP ever seen any other DH car in person or is this the only one.

Again, not saying all DH cars are like this, just saying this one is... Now, I believe it is very possible you are right about the hood... Maybe the shop that removed the stripes screwed up the alignment...

I don't see how because I was under the assumption that they were vinyl... Maybe when the side stripes were done they recleared it and pulled the hood off for that? I dunno...

Regardless, the back fenders had to have happened from the ORIGINAL body work unless another shop redid the molding...

This is not like a paint run or anything. It is very obviously an unblended bondo/body filler (whatever they used) line well under the basecoat.

Again, not questioning what YOU saw, just saying what I SAW and HOW IT SITS NOW. I still think this is something that could have appeared after the car had time to cure.

As far as the mod's comments I replied to earler, I can see what you are talking about with the hood (it was not a high production piece and looks like a handmade piece which is always rougher tham production quality ones).

It is one of what, like 30? That is understandable. The hood stuff is not acceptable whatever shop is responsible and the fender problems should be addressed... Those are the things I feel of course happen from time to time when doing something of this magnitude but should get fixed when it is a 100K plus car and not something your buddy is hooking you up with for a 6-Pack...
Old 06-02-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok this is just going all wrong . . . So you are dissappointed. Be done with it.

Jeez.

Quick Reply: Saw a Dick Harrell car today, must say I am very disappointed by the quality...