Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

My T-Top conversion is DONE!! She's Topless!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i done 2 t-top conversions and each only took me a day. dont see how it would take you a week. i had one customer come at like noon and i was done before dark. all labor by myself only. customer just watched. and thats including a trip to town to get extra blades. i'm guessing 3-6 hours it took me.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great work my brother done this to his 95 Camaro and the results were simular to yours
Old 12-22-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

very impressed....glad my car already has them...
Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

When i started looking at the pics, ill be honest i was a little worried, but it turned out awesome...
Old 12-23-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know this thread is old, but i want to do the exact opposite and put a hardtop on my t-top car.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by forgedlt4
I know this thread is old, but i want to do the exact opposite and put a hardtop on my t-top car.
Plenty of threads on it.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Guitar
Plenty of threads on it.
i figured. it doesnt appear too hard, but its just one of those things i always wished my car had.... a hard top
Old 12-23-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FastRidesOnly
i done 2 t-top conversions and each only took me a day. dont see how it would take you a week. i had one customer come at like noon and i was done before dark. all labor by myself only. customer just watched. and thats including a trip to town to get extra blades. i'm guessing 3-6 hours it took me.
I know I haven't seen any of your work, but there's absolutely no way that anyone can turn out a T-Top Conversion in 6 hours, by themselves, and get the quality we did. It's not possible to hand form all the metal in all 4 corners without adding any new metal to the car, fiberglass the rain channels, Bondo the rain channels to smooth them out, then paint everything to color match the rest of the car, then adjust everything to make it water tight. I've had my car looked at by plenty of people, while sitting next to my friends SS with factory T-Tops, and not a single one of them could figure out which one was not factory. And this included 2 dealerships. Try and rag on me all you want for taking 6 days to do a project of this magnitude, but that's how long it takes to do our caliber of quality work.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey man wickedd job on the conversion!

did u ever get around to that write up ??
Old 01-28-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome job on the conversion... is it bad that I wish my car a hard top? lol
Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 AM
On The Tree

Amazing
Old 03-04-2012, 01:37 PM

I just saw your write up....is there anyway you can give more detailed instructions...i'm a little confused on how to make the rain gutters and where exactly to mark before I make my cuts....you said something bout making a tutorial did you? I realize this is an old post so I hope you're still a member
Old 03-04-2012, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lotus289
I know I haven't seen any of your work, but there's absolutely no way that anyone can turn out a T-Top Conversion in 6 hours, by themselves, and get the quality we did. It's not possible to hand form all the metal in all 4 corners without adding any new metal to the car, fiberglass the rain channels, Bondo the rain channels to smooth them out, then paint everything to color match the rest of the car, then adjust everything to make it water tight. I've had my car looked at by plenty of people, while sitting next to my friends SS with factory T-Tops, and not a single one of them could figure out which one was not factory. And this included 2 dealerships. Try and rag on me all you want for taking 6 days to do a project of this magnitude, but that's how long it takes to do our caliber of quality work.
Amen, it pisses me off when someone tries to one-up ya when you obviously took your time to do an amazing job.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Teching In

I want to convert my hard top to a t-top as well. I'd obviously need to get it done by a pro. I'm curious, how much do you think it will run me?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sully316
I just saw your write up....is there anyway you can give more detailed instructions...i'm a little confused on how to make the rain gutters and where exactly to mark before I make my cuts....you said something bout making a tutorial did you? I realize this is an old post so I hope you're still a member
He's still around, but I don't think he ever finished a tutorial. There are other pages that show the process as well, here is one that I used when I did the conversion to my old car.

Originally Posted by 00LS1CHICK
I want to convert my hard top to a t-top as well. I'd obviously need to get it done by a pro. I'm curious, how much do you think it will run me?
I will honestly be surprised if a shop takes on this job, most will just laugh and tell you it can't be done. There are a few people around the country who will do it for others, but they are few and far between. This is something best done yourself. It really isn't too bad.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TechCam97
He's still around, but I don't think he ever finished a tutorial. There are other pages that show the process as well, here is one that I used when I did the conversion to my old car.

I will honestly be surprised if a shop takes on this job, most will just laugh and tell you it can't be done. There are a few people around the country who will do it for others, but they are few and far between. This is something best done yourself. It really isn't too bad.
I wish I could do it myself but I'd rather not attempt the job and it turns out terrible because it probably will. I don't know how to do any body work.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TechCam97

The conversion you linked to is the exact one I took most of my information from. It tells you exactly where to make the initial cuts. We just took mine in a different direction with the corners. We didn't want to add any metal, so we just shaped what was already there.

As for having someone do it, my friend called around after we did this one, just for fun. He found 2 shops within a few hrs of NW Ohio that would take on the project. They both said it was more trouble than it's worth, but would take the project. One quoted us at $10,000, the other was at $6,000. Both said it was roughly 100 man-hrs to complete. Both also said we're better off buying a new car. Now we're both very big DIY guys and love projects that challenge us. So I spent the better part of 2 years researching it, finally pulled the trigger, and haven't regretted it a single day since.

The cost can vary. I have paint hookups, so all my paint and fiberglass was free. The Bondo and basic tools/supplies I bought. I got the glass off E-Bay for around $175. I got the headliner from the dealership for $180 or so. And everything else I got from a local junk yard for $80. So I was only into the project for around $450 or so, and then I sold some of the OEM hardtop parts for around $100. It's really not that expensive, and personally, I don't think it's that hard. It is very time consuming, and it can be very exhausting. But it was A LOT of fun. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
Old 07-08-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks great despite what moses says
Old 07-09-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

I'd say try it yourself. I knew nothing about t-top conversions or fabrication and did it with the tutorial in around 6 hours. Tells you everything you need to know. Gather all the tools. take your headliner off and you'll see it isnt that hard.

i have a extra set of t-tops and locks if anyone in florida needs to buy some.

i'm about to do a t-top conversion on a fox mustang. its a little but harder.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

That came out great..

Quick Reply: My T-Top conversion is DONE!! She's Topless!