Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My T-Top conversion is DONE!! She's Topless!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that looks clean almost factory. Great job man. Very nice.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lotus289
Yeah my friend and I kinda put the write up on the back burner. Since this was bumped from the dead (not that I'm complaining) maybe I'll get to work on it again. There's not much left to do so I'll shoot for this weekend. Then we just gotta find a host for it.
What else do you really need to include? The pics look pretty straight forward to me. I am going to be doing this hopefully this weekend or next weekend. If you have any more pointers or helpful hints please let me know
Old 03-16-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We wrote up a step by step instruction with pics. Every single minuscule detail is spelled out with pics too.

As for tips, here's the biggest two:
- Try as hard as you can to get the T-Tops and the weather stripping from the same vehicle. That will help tremendously with keeping the car from leaking. The seal between the two is slightly different from car to car. My T-Tops don't match 100% to my weather stripping and it makes it a little more difficult to keep water tight. But, it's not the end of the world. Mines still 100% water tight.

- Also, when you install everything, bolt the center bar down, put the T Tops in, and align the weather stripping to that. It's a lot easier to keep it water tight.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

We wrote up a step by step instruction with pics. Every single minuscule detail is spelled out with pics too.

As for tips, here's the biggest two:
- Try as hard as you can to get the T-Tops and the weather stripping from the same vehicle. That will help tremendously with keeping the car from leaking. The seal between the two is slightly different from car to car. My T-Tops don't match 100% to my weather stripping and it makes it a little more difficult to keep water tight. But, it's not the end of the world. Mines still 100% water tight.

- Also, when you install everything, bolt the center bar down, put the T Tops in, and align the weather stripping to that. It's a lot easier to keep it water tight.
Do you have a copy of the write up? shoot me an email dmaxie at gmail dot com
Old 03-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Received 98 Likes on 56 Posts

Awesome craftsmanship, great job!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Couldn't tell in the pics. But if you get the front windshield reveal molding/seal for a t-top car, it should help with the leaks. In the pics, it looks like it's sitting on a non t-top windshield seal.

Great job as well!!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:30 AM

wow good work!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:52 AM
On The Tree

hmmmm wonder if i could do sumthin like this to my gto??? maybe like a targa top
Old 03-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
Couldn't tell in the pics. But if you get the front windshield reveal molding/seal for a t-top car, it should help with the leaks. In the pics, it looks like it's sitting on a non t-top windshield seal.

Great job as well!!
I know its probably a long shot, but do you have a pic and or a part number for this piece?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Captain
I know its probably a long shot, but do you have a pic and or a part number for this piece?

10293683 is the GM part number.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino

Great job as well!!
I planned on getting the actual T-Top Side and Top moldings for the front glass. But every glass shop I called said they windshield has to be taken out to do it, and they can't guarantee it won't break.

There's no issue with leaks though. I ran a bead of RTV along the whole Top seal and the T-Tops are sealed in by the weather stripping. I does look different when the tops are out because all you see is RTV, but everyone that has seen it in person told me if I wouldn't have told them I did the work they would've thought it was factory.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

I planned on getting the actual T-Top Side and Top moldings for the front glass. But every glass shop I called said they windshield has to be taken out to do it, and they can't guarantee it won't break.

There's no issue with leaks though. I ran a bead of RTV along the whole Top seal and the T-Tops are sealed in by the weather stripping. I does look different when the tops are out because all you see is RTV, but everyone that has seen it in person told me if I wouldn't have told them I did the work they would've thought it was factory.
If you get a chance can you take or post a pic of where you RTV'd?
Old 03-20-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you get a chance can you take or post a pic of where you RTV'd?
Sure I can get that sometime this weekend. Are you looking for just the windshield line or EVERYTHING I RTV'd?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Bravo! Looks just like the factory. Great job!
Old 03-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Sure I can get that sometime this weekend. Are you looking for just the windshield line or EVERYTHING I RTV'd?
Whatever you are willing to contribute We are doing my conversion tomorrow and sunday, I'll post up pics and such when we are done. I am planning on doing a complete tutorial video since no one else has done it. I figure it could be my chance to be a youtube hero
Old 03-20-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Divided
Damn, thats alot of work. Not my cup of tea, but it definetly looks better.

Out of curiosity, what ls1 cars come with ttops?
All 98+ Trans Ams from the factory came with T-tops
Old 03-21-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Whatever you are willing to contribute We are doing my conversion tomorrow and sunday, I'll post up pics and such when we are done. I am planning on doing a complete tutorial video since no one else has done it. I figure it could be my chance to be a youtube hero
I'll take some pics tomorrow (Saturday) of the RTV'd areas. Good luck with the conversion and the vid. Make a thread when you get it done.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:52 AM
Staging Lane

I'll take some pics tomorrow (Saturday) of the RTV'd areas. Good luck with the conversion and the vid. Make a thread when you get it done.
PM sent. Come on down man, we will have a big ol' time here in CU!!!!
Old 03-22-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i first looked at the title of this thread i assumed it would be a hackjob, but after seeing it that's a really nice job. glad to see someone took the effort to do it correctly.

since you're planning on getting a V8 F-body, you may want to find a wrecked donor car and put all the LS1 parts on yours. i mean, your camaro is in good shape, and you put this much work into it so far. why not?

and i'm glad mine came with T-tops already. lol i'm too tall to sit comfortably in a hardtop car without my head touching the headliner.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i forgot to mention the fact that you'd still be paying "V6" insurance too. all they see is the VIN

Quick Reply: My T-Top conversion is DONE!! She's Topless!