Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HIDs not that bright??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIDs not that bright??

I recently purchased a set of HIDs from a dealer near my house in chicago, the light is bright when outside of car, but from the drivers seat, other halogen street car light seem to look better? wtf? I tried angling them on my 96' ws6, but they kinda shoot higher than the back bumper of a car, what should I do?
Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any more info? Mine are crazy bright!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine are pretty bright as well.... What temp are they? A projector would put out more light and it would be directed better, I believe, but it would take some fab work..
Old 06-11-2008, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

the temp is 8000k and the brand is called MAXX. Like i said, they are really bright if you're looking at them from outside, but from the driver seat, they tend to shoot at stop signs, and other signs much better? The the housing I have for them is a aftermarket H4, not mirrored, but like a projector style, is that what you think may holding all the light back? Should i get a mirrored housing?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So you are running HID's in a halogen housing? Seems that way since you're saying they are really bright from the outside. That's error #1. They should NOT be really bright from the outside unless you are below the sharp cut-off pattern which you don't have unless you have projectors, or at the VERY least E-code housings.

You are also running an 8000k kit. That's error #2. 4300k is about perfect. The higher you go from there the less lumens output you're going to get and the more blue, then purple, then pink, etc it will go.

Find some projectors, either 50mm H7 Hella's, 90mm H9 or the 90mm D2S Hella's. Retro those into the car. That will fix 90% of your problems right there.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

for the time being, until projectors can be worked on, does anyone know where I can get a direct fitted housing for an 96' trans am? Like the mirrored kind, because I think my problem now is the the current housing is aftermarket, but looks like a projector type of lighting, which doesn't allow a lot of the lighting to be shot out, and if i go to a wall, it looks like 2 big blue circles that are shooting high up when they should be at the person in front of mes' back bumper of lowering on the street, plz any info will be appreciated.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aovall1
for the time being, until projectors can be worked on, does anyone know where I can get a direct fitted housing for an 96' trans am? Like the mirrored kind, because I think my problem now is the the current housing is aftermarket, but looks like a projector type of lighting, which doesn't allow a lot of the lighting to be shot out, and if i go to a wall, it looks like 2 big blue circles that are shooting high up when they should be at the person in front of mes' back bumper of lowering on the street, plz any info will be appreciated.
there is nothing better, for sale.
If you want the best alternative, order the larger 8x5 projector next gen H4 housings from Pegasus, they have a real actual projector inside the housing, take it off, cut a hole in the aftermarket 4 x6, and bolt it on.

other then that, going to projectors retrofitted, is the only really good option.. both range from 200-350.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Aside from what Runamuck said, there is no other option. What you have now is deadly illegal and has killed people, caused many accidents, and as you are witnessing, isn't doing **** for you. Police officers absolutely hate people who place HID systems into halogen assemblies.

Basically remember this: HID rebased capsules put into a Halogen lamps are extremely illegal.

Not just slightly illegal, it is a $6000.00 fine per bulb and per ballast. You also will not be able to get your car inspected (at most places) and the police can and will pull you over.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

wow, i didnt know that, it seems like in the htreads from here that a lot of people do do what i have done and i thought it was fine? i guess not, but does anyone have a write-up, so that I may put them together, cuz im not that electronically educated, or possibly someone put the set up together and i pay them?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm designing a Camaro version that will be complete with all you need. For 'birds, VIP1 (I think that's his name here) did a writeup on his installation of projector low beams. Do a search and I am sure it's in there somewhere. Or, if you can find that thread from a little while ago... red 97? "SS" with the ugly WS6 style hood and the little round lights as headlights, I think he posted in there. I think the search feature is still down?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

HiBachi.. where did you order your projectors from?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

aovall1, it sounds like you got the fake projector housings from ebay. They almost look like a projector in a reflector housing, but they are just a regular reflector housing with a hunk of curved glass in front of the bulb. There is no projector bowl and no cut-off shield. And it sounds like you have them aimed too high if the center point is up at sign level.

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
For 'birds, VIP1 (I think that's his name here) did a writeup on his installation of projector low beams.
I have a 2001 though, aovall1 has a 1996. The headlights are different. He needs a bi-xenon setup.

Check out the Lighting FAQ.
There is plenty of info there.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/710357-lighting-faq.html

Blackbirdws6 used FX bi-xenon projectors in his 1997 Trans AM.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/849199-93-97-firebird-bi-xenon-fx-projector-retro-fit-updated-w-write-up.html

Also check out www<dot>hidplanet<dot>com/forums/
I'm on there too with the same screen name.

Originally Posted by Runamuck
My guess is that he got them from the same place I did... Rally Lights
Old 06-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Aside from what Runamuck said, there is no other option. What you have now is deadly illegal and has killed people, caused many accidents, and as you are witnessing, isn't doing **** for you. Police officers absolutely hate people who place HID systems into halogen assemblies.

Basically remember this: HID rebased capsules put into a Halogen lamps are extremely illegal.

Not just slightly illegal, it is a $6000.00 fine per bulb and per ballast. You also will not be able to get your car inspected (at most places) and the police can and will pull you over.
haha, where are you getting your information from? I've put plug and play lights in my last four cars, have not only never gotten pulled over, but even passed inspections (at the dealership and at different gas stations.) Retrofits are better, no argument there, but plug and play is not as horrible as you are making it sound. I'm still undecided on whether I'm doing a retro or plug and play, don't know how bad the housing in the camaro is when it comes to scattering light everywhere.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

I had block off plates, and covers on my MR2's H4 halogen housings, and they worked beautifully!

the only problem is the quality of the aftermarket breand of 4 x 6 that are available.
With in the first week i put my open H4 4x6's in, the front cover fell off in the housing..
I need to buy a new set, as i have a brand new 9004 HID set.

I dont feel like converting the headlights, but i need to play around with the ones i have.. i may screw around with the housings i have now, and the FX7 infiniti projector i have laying around from my bike project.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn i've gotten pulled over 6 times in 4 cities and they never said anything about my HIDs and ive always had them. Although I know they're illegal no cop around here seems to care
Old 06-13-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dorifto83
haha, where are you getting your information from? I've put plug and play lights in my last four cars, have not only never gotten pulled over, but even passed inspections (at the dealership and at different gas stations.) Retrofits are better, no argument there, but plug and play is not as horrible as you are making it sound. I'm still undecided on whether I'm doing a retro or plug and play, don't know how bad the housing in the camaro is when it comes to scattering light everywhere.
Doesn't mean it's legal. My info comes directly from Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards which is the main standard in the United States for governing legal aftermarket items for vehicles, among other things. It also comes from being friends with many police officers. As my license plate designates, I've been a firefighter for some time now. I ask them so many questions, I am sure they are sick of hearing from me

Illegal rebased HID bulbs and installation of HID kits into halogen light assemblies have killed people and caused many accidents. This is the main reason why police are stepping up enforcement of lighting laws.

In regards to officers citing you, it really depends on a lot of factors including their training. Most officers will only cite you if you are blinding them or if the color of your light is NOT white. The officer I know who tests this will pull out a white sheet of paper, put it in front of the headlight and if it turns any other color, you receive a citation. It obviously doesn't have to be HID, it can be those "cool blue" or "Xenon" halogen bulbs, or the higher Kelvin HID kits. Other officers I know won't do anything unless, like I said, you're blinding them.

And remember... Just because you haven't been cited yet, doesn't mean you aren't going to run into that one officer who is up to date on all his lighting codes and feels like writing you a $24,000+ ticket. In my last truck I rode around with tint on my front windows for 2 years, and the week I sold it, I was pulled over and told to remove it or pay a few hundred $'s in fines.

I'm just trying to help you all out. If you do the lighting setup properly, you'll be happier not only 'cause you're legal :-P but because the beam pattern and brightness will be so much better!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Runamuck
I have a dealer account with Hella You can purchase them from Susquehanna Motorsports in Fleetwood, PA via www<dot>rallylights<dot>com

Last edited by VIP1; 06-13-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

I also have a few police friends and I've shown them my car and they say it looks nice, but they haven't mentioned my lights being too bright, i think why they aren't blinding is because I have a retarted housing restricting the light pattern, but eh. But thanks for the info hibachi, i will be getting projectors soon, and if you know someone who is selling kits, let me know, thanks!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Teching In

I'm just trying to help you all out. If you do the lighting setup properly, you'll be happier not only 'cause you're legal :-P but because the beam pattern and brightness will be so much better!
But a retro wouldn't be any more legal/illegal than a plug and play kit, true it is the better and safer way to go, but if you bump into a police officer who wants to be a douche it would be illegal either way. I do agree with you about being happier with retros, and the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards that path.

Quick Reply: HIDs not that bright??