Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

RK Sport headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RK Sport headers

Well, about 5 years ago, I bought a set of chrome ceramic coated RKsport headers. I was told that they would stay shinny and not rust....well, they lied. My headers are so dull and rusty it pisses me off because they were not cheap. They will not warranty them so I am stuck with either getting new ones or fixing these. Any ideas on how to start cleaning them back up? They are rusty on the flanges. Tubes are a very dull silver now.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Steel wool. Not sure if its good for headers but usually cleans rust up.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

Might have to just get some new ones.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Rai
TECH Enthusiast

clean them -- and paint them black
Old 06-15-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Veteran

ok so youre telling me that youre surprised that your headers rusted afte r5 years of use..wow dude first off dont expect something to stay clean without washing it. If you read, most companies say this on coated headers, to wash them once a year to prevent rust. Obviously you didnt
Old 06-16-2008, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

paint them.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
ok so youre telling me that youre surprised that your headers rusted afte r5 years of use..wow dude first off dont expect something to stay clean without washing it. If you read, most companies say this on coated headers, to wash them once a year to prevent rust. Obviously you didnt

Before you ASSUME that I don't take care of my ****,

Washed and polished numerous times every year esp since car was driven year round and I live in Ohio so it sees snow and salt.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

How many times have you polished them? Headers on a V6...I hope you have some sort of FI.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mybabythebird

Washed and polished numerous times every year esp since car was driven year round and I live in Ohio so it sees snow and salt.
lol obviously you jumped to conclusion..i didnt say you arent taking your entire car, i was saying your headers
Old 06-16-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mybabythebird
Take it easy - he was just saying that you need to clean your headers, not the rest of your car. Most people wouldn't go through the trouble of wiping down their headers, especially if you drive car for any reason other than show.

I recommend you go ahead and pony up for a more durable set of headers. ARH, QTP, and Kooks are some names that might sound familiar. I don't know if they make a V6 application, but their durability would be more in-line with your expectations. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I'm not happy with these headers at all. The gaskets that came with them were junk and I had my local exhaust shop get me good ones that were almost the same size. I called RKSport to get a replacement set and they said they did not have any. Thought that was weird. As far as a new set, since she is a 6 I'm limited on companies that make them. I know Pacesetter makes some but I have heard good and bad about them. Last winter was the last winter the car is going to see. I have another car now to use as my daily driver so the Bird is up for the year. With 115,xxx on the motor, I have a few oil leaks to fix and a crankshaft sensor to replace then I'm going to start fixing the one panel that started to rust and re-work the engine bay and do some more detail work. Then, I'm off to the interior to change it around. Trying to do something inside with flames to carry over from the outside. When it comes to my car, I get defensive fast, sorry I yelled

Quick Reply: RK Sport headers