Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Polishing Stainless?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Polishing Stainless?

Anyone know how to polish Stainless Steel? I detailed the SS for a car show today, and it got rained out so since it looks so nice I wanna polish out my GMMG pipe's
Old 06-28-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you should be able to find some type of stainless steel cleaner then any type of metal polish should do the trick, or just clean it the best you can and polish it with some metal polish as long as it says its ok with ss
Old 06-28-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Eagle Ones Nano Metal Polish.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Does that somewhat seal the stainless? I'm gettin tired of water spots drying on my covers everytime I wash my car
Old 06-28-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ive had great luck with wenol metal polish to keep ss looking good. i have some stainless cleaner that i bought for work that cleans and somewhat seals it but i noticed it stay nicer alot longer with a dedicated metal polish
Old 06-28-2008, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

Brian, just use wax to seal it
Old 06-28-2008, 11:27 AM
FormerVendor

If you're polishing your exhaust pipes you're gonna need to either use some buffing wheels and compound and/or progressively finer sand paper and polish.

Brian: If you get water on your polished stainless covers, the easiest way is to just dry them off as you dry your car. If you let the water spots dry, they can be hard to remove w/o a buffing wheel. Or you can even remove the covers before you wash your car / engine bay. You can use automotive wax to help seal the stainless, clear paint, or clear powder coating.

If you're just cleaning your stainless, you can follow the steps below.

From our site: "Proper stainless steel care can provide a show quality shine for years to come. #8 mirror finish is just as easy to scratch as your cars paint so you must treat it with the same care. Only clean your Specialized Stainless products with clean micro fiber and a quality polish. We recommend "Mothers Billet Metal Polish". You can find this at most auto parts stores for about $15 per 4oz container (remember a little goes a long way). As an example, to clean a battery cover you would only need a pea sized drop. Lightly rub the polish onto the cover with your micro fiber towel until it is evenly coated. Now move to a clean section on your micro fiber and lightly buff the polish off.

The #4 brushed finish is easier to care for. Since it is a directional polished finish, scratches will be hard to see. I would still recommend the cleaning method above but you won't hurt finish of the brushed Specialized Stainless products with conventional cleaning products."
Old 06-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Motorboater

hey Steve..just to help your customers a little. I wouldn't put mothers billet polish on any of your brushed products. enough rubbing with that stuff and it won't look so brushed anymore, it'll still shine up all the grooves, etc and you'll end up with a shiny grooved looking item...
I experimented with my ABS delete block which came as brushed billet aluminum and that's exactly what happened and looked terrible. i ended up sanding out the brushing and then show polishing it conventionally..
Old 06-28-2008, 05:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
hey Steve..just to help your customers a little. I wouldn't put mothers billet polish on any of your brushed products. enough rubbing with that stuff and it won't look so brushed anymore, it'll still shine up all the grooves, etc and you'll end up with a shiny grooved looking item...
I experimented with my ABS delete block which came as brushed billet aluminum and that's exactly what happened and looked terrible. i ended up sanding out the brushing and then show polishing it conventionally..
Stainless steel is a lot harder than aluminum. I know what you're saying but it won't happen to the stainless. Even if you take a buffing wheel w/ polish compound to the brushed stainless, it will polish it up but won't remove the brushed finish. It actually looks pretty good.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Motorboater

I never said it would remove it, no way in hell you'll do that without wet sanding for a good long while lol. to me it just made it reflect the light funny and didn't have that cool brushed look as much anymore that's all.

Quick Reply: Polishing Stainless?