Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Tinting tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting tail lights

Ok have anyone ever tinted tailights with window tint cause i heard it will just peel off cause of the hott weather and iv had them black with that black transparent paint on the tail lights but someone broke my tail light so i bought a new one and took the paint off the other one so i wanted to tint them and what percentange to use. any help would be appreciated thanxs.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you could find tint that you could contour to them, it would almost certainly peel if you drove a considerable distance with lots of braking.
I wouldn't go any lower than 50% with window tint, since it blocks out light in BOTH directions, it would significantly decrease your brake light visibility.

Just get some VHT Nightshade. It works better, won't crack or peel, and it's actually designed to black out lights without significantly reducing their brightness.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:21 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Go to local hobby store, go to the r/c car paint section, and get 1 or 2 cans of "window tint"
Then remove your tailights, clean them well, and paint them (somewhere well ventilated). I did 7 coats on mine, waiting a couple hours in between coats. They look gloss black, but the light has no problem shining through. Looks way better than covers. Make sure to clear coat or they will fade/come off over time.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-01-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Def do Niteshades, or you can have them professionally tinted by someone using Automotive paint diluted with clear and they spray it on....but thats more costly!

Niteshades run you about $8-10 per can depending on where you get it, and of course Duplicolor Clear runs you about $6 or so per can at any Auto Parts store, some 2000 Grit Wet/Dry sandpaper and your good to go! Optional buffing can be done to achieve high gloss shine with a good polishing compound.

Heres some of mine:

Yes I know my car was filthy due to it sitting for a few weeks

And at night...no problems seeing the light shine through:

And I have all of my lenses (with the obvious exception of Headlights/Fog Lights) done with Niteshades!

-Justin
Old 07-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

what did you do for rev. lights?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wXh151
what did you do for rev. lights?
They are Blue LED's, #1156 bulbs.....I got them from this place:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

I get all of my LED's from them, here are some shots of my interior lighting that I got from them:

-Justin
Old 07-01-2008, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

See I don't want to do it and then **** it all up there has to be people on here that has done window tint or something else. Where i live you can't get that vht stuff pretty much my state of technology we get **** last.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

ATAY, you don't have any hobby shops that have remote control cars anywhere near you??

2Fast - I did the speedo LED conversion on a friends car, looks sick. With those reverse LEDs, can you still see well enough to maneuver in a dark place? (practicality vs looks)
Old 07-01-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

You can get VHT nightshades off the internet. http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/vhtnigpain.html
Old 07-01-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ATAY383
See I don't want to do it and then **** it all up there has to be people on here that has done window tint or something else. Where i live you can't get that vht stuff pretty much my state of technology we get **** last.
Im sure Summit Racing delivers to Kansas! As far as ****** it up....it could happen, but using common sense and good write-ups, the odds of you screwing it up is pretty high!

Originally Posted by wXh151
2Fast - I did the speedo LED conversion on a friends car, looks sick. With those reverse LEDs, can you still see well enough to maneuver in a dark place? (practicality vs looks)
Actually my speedo is a Reverse EL Glow Gauge, and I love it! The Reverse LED's are actually bright as ****, and I have NO problems with seeing in dark places....so it kinda works as both factors in practicality and looks!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I done mine in VHT night shade and turn out good for the first time.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

^^^Look at that Mirror Shine!!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Go to local hobby store, go to the r/c car paint section, and get 1 or 2 cans of "window tint"
Then remove your tailights, clean them well, and paint them (somewhere well ventilated). I did 7 coats on mine, waiting a couple hours in between coats. They look gloss black, but the light has no problem shining through. Looks way better than covers. Make sure to clear coat or they will fade/come off over time.
I went to my local hobbyshop store today and purchased the last two cans of window tint spray paint $5.50 each. I decided to try it on my sidemarkers first and it looks great so far with four coats I'll probably spray it with clear coat tommorrow. Then I'll do my taillights. I'll be posting pics soon.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

You can also use X-pel or Lamin-X tint film. I used Lamin-X and it came out nice. I do agree that paint is the best way but I need the option here to be able to take it off if need be. Both manufactureres come with a range of tint darkness and a couple colors.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by naperws6
I went to my local hobbyshop store today and purchased the last two cans of window tint spray paint $5.50 each. I decided to try it on my sidemarkers first and it looks great so far with four coats I'll probably spray it with clear coat tommorrow. Then I'll do my taillights. I'll be posting pics soon.
sounds good, post pics when you can!!
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-03-2008, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

I'd like to use the nightshade on mine too, but can you do the reverse lights too? I noticed not to many people have that done..
Old 07-03-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tator98ta
I'd like to use the nightshade on mine too, but can you do the reverse lights too? I noticed not to many people have that done..
Some people have, most people don't due to the fact of not seeing too well with the Reverse Lights tinted......I don't have my Reverse tinted, left them.. and put Blue LED's in...and have No problems seeing in reverse at night!
Old 07-03-2008, 03:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by tator98ta
I compared a buddy's nightshade job to my hobby store r/c window tint paint job, and mine actually came out much better looking than theirs. Mine were darker, more glossy, yet let equal if not larger amount of brake light through

naper, after doing your tailights, buff them a little before clearing them (if you have a buffer). they'll come out with a high gloss mirror finish if you take your time
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-03-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
I compared a buddy's nightshade job to my hobby store r/c window tint paint job, and mine actually came out much better looking than theirs. Mine were darker, more glossy, yet let equal if not larger amount of brake light through

naper, after doing your tailights, buff them a little before clearing them (if you have a buffer). they'll come out with a high gloss mirror finish if you take your time
thanks bud will do.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Excuse the Dirt!!!!

Quick Reply: Tinting tail lights