Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Best Car Wax for DARK CARS

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 846 Likes on 647 Posts

Zanio does NOT look as good as pinnacle and does not last as long. This is coming first hand from someone who has tried about 200 different waxes.

I'm not going to argue looks because they are subjective. But if you are claiming that Piannacle is more durable than Zaino either you are a liar or didn't get the oils off the surface prior to applying the Zaino. Zaino will not bond properly over any type of oil. Zaino will crush any carnauba on durability. Zaino lasts longer for me than Collinite 845.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really 'that' concerned with durability when it comes to the T/A as it sits in the garage.

Prima Amigo, Prima Finish.
Then I stick to my Victoria's Concours Red wax.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate meguar's on dark colors! Always is a pain in the *** to get all the dark shadows out of the paint.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Zanio does NOT look as good as pinnacle and does not last as long. This is coming first hand from someone who has tried about 200 different waxes.

I'm not going to argue looks because they are subjective. But if you are claiming that Piannacle is more durable than Zaino either you are a liar or didn't get the oils off the surface prior to applying the Zaino. Zaino will not bond properly over any type of oil. Zaino will crush any carnauba on durability. Zaino lasts longer for me than Collinite 845.
I'm glad someone addressed that, as I was going to say the same thing. Pinnacle by no means will ever outlast Zaino and shouldn't, mainly because Zaino is a sealant and Pinnacle is a wax. A wax's protective material is carnauba, a natural ingredient, while Zaino's protective material is synthetic (man-made). A natural substance such as carnauba will degrade faster than something chemically structured to resist such things.

In terms of looks, again, both different animals. Sealants typically have better crisp and reflective properties while waxes have warmer and deeper looks.

For dark cars, something like Meguiar's #26, Pinnacle Souveran, or P21s Concours, or their latest P21s Pure Carnauba would all look stunningly deep and wet.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wannafbody

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I'm glad someone addressed that, as I was going to say the same thing. Pinnacle by no means will ever outlast Zaino and shouldn't, mainly because Zaino is a sealant and Pinnacle is a wax. A wax's protective material is carnauba, a natural ingredient, while Zaino's protective material is synthetic (man-made). A natural substance such as carnauba will degrade faster than something chemically structured to resist such things.

In terms of looks, again, both different animals. Sealants typically have better crisp and reflective properties while waxes have warmer and deeper looks.

For dark cars, something like Meguiar's #26, Pinnacle Souveran, or P21s Concours, or their latest P21s Pure Carnauba would all look stunningly deep and wet.
Opinions are like ********....everyone has them.

Yes in my case zaino DID NOT last as long and DID NOT look as good as pinnacle. I know how to detail cars trust me. I used to do it for a living and actually owned a detailing business for a few years. I had several regular customers that had cars worth $300k +. But like I said this is just my opinoin. The bottom line is use anything suggested in this thread and your car will look good as long as you do it right.

This is how I detail a car that has scratches that need to be polished out:

Wash
Clay Bar
Wash
Polish
Wax or Seal
Detail spray

All in all it take me anywhere from 2-10 hours depending on the severity of the scratches.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by my01ws6
Opinions are like ********....everyone has them.

Yes in my case zaino DID NOT last as long and DID NOT look as good as pinnacle. I know how to detail cars trust me. I used to do it for a living and actually owned a detailing business for a few years. I had several regular customers that had cars worth $300k +. But like I said this is just my opinoin. The bottom line is use anything suggested in this thread and your car will look good as long as you do it right.
Looks are opinion-based, but the argument of sealants lasting longer than waxes is not. It is a simple fact. A natural product will not last as long as a synthetic product formulated to specifically combat degradation. Period. The natural substance of carnauba will degrade faster than synthetic polymers, and Pinnacle is absolutely no exception to this. In fact, its lack of durability is widely noted and quite well accepted due to the fact that it looks fantastic and is easy enough to apply that durability is not a huge concern.

Zaino is known to be one of the longest lasting sealants on the market. Regardless of its looks, its durability is not protested (at least not until now, that I've heard of).

For the sake of the thread let's not bring detailing businesses into it b/c much of my detailing customer-base comes from the jobs "pro detailing" businesses/places performed that I have to fix.

So, let's keep it to simple facts.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Default Just my .02 for Mother's Products

I do auto detailing on the side and use Mother's Syn for my std wax for all cars. For my personal cars I use the a 4stage Mother's Process. Here are examples of my black cars, all with either a 3stage to 5stage wash to buff:

Old 07-21-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Any kinda zaino product that you can buy is great for any car that is dark in color and lasts forever.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by spudnick3119
For OTC, go with Meguiar's #26. Its the only reason I will step into an Autozone. Here's some pics:

This car is in your same town........
This car looks to be amazing. Gotta love the LT1's

Hard not to make him prove it...
Which I doult he will have to...
Old 07-22-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

hey z06trailblazerss what specific mothers did you use ???
Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ramairjohn2000
hey z06trailblazerss what specific mothers did you use ???
I use: Full hand wash first
1) Mother's Clay Bar

THEN

2) Mother's Step 1 (cleaner),

2A) If necessary, as the paint has nothing on it or between the buffer and scratches- a scratch remover. I also use the Turtle Wax BLACK Wax on the nose and rockers to hide any and all stone chips (minor ones)

3) Mother's Step 2 Sealer and Glaze

4)Mother's Step 3 the carrnuba wax. I Sometimes try waxes Mother's puts out for this step. I have used the regular carrnuba wax and wasn't a fan. I then used the actual "STEP 3 Carrnuba" and it had a WHOLE DIFFERENT SMELL AND TEXTURE. This is def an impressive product. I have also used the "Mother's SYN wax" which is ok, comes off easily but only lasts 3-5 weeks. And the best wax I have used (from Mother's) to date is the Reflections wax. It goes on sooooo easily and comes off so easily.

I do the 3-5stage proces twice/year on all my cars. It takes me approx 6-8 hours for me to be happy with the results. My DD is the Trailblazer SS. I did the 4stage last December before all the salt and snow hit here in Mass. I used the reflections for the waxing 'step' and it lasted a good ways in Febuary. Normally I have to re-wax by mid January. I know there is better products out there but for the price of the products I use, and how often I work on the cars, I love the Mother's products. I am open to other options as I see the Pinnacle wax looks awesome on the black so this is something I may have to try!

Last edited by ZO6TrailblazerSS; 07-22-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I am going to incorporate the turtle wax for black cars in the mix, thanks again.....
Old 07-22-2008, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Anybody looking for a little extra pop the Mother's sealer and glaze is great by itself.........A wax or sealant on top is the icing on the cake.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

I've had great luck with Menzerna products. Lately I've added Blackfire Midnight Sun (used to be called Wet Diamond and was cheaper).

However, my cars are not daily driven and only get washed about 1-2 times a year with a few waxings in between.

you tell me if it works or not

Old 07-22-2008, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

^^^bad ****** ***.. Nuf Said
Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 846 Likes on 647 Posts

Mothers products are pretty good for OTC. Zaino has a glow at sundown that no other product can match IMO. Z8 is icing on the cake.

Anybody who claims that carnauba waxes last longer than Zaino has no credibility regardless of how many cars they've detailed. Carnauba begins to melt at about 140 degrees-your car will easily reach that temp on a hot day.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by myfast70
I've had great luck with Menzerna products. Lately I've added Blackfire Midnight Sun (used to be called Wet Diamond and was cheaper).

However, my cars are not daily driven and only get washed about 1-2 times a year with a few waxings in between.

you tell me if it works or not

that sir is my dream car...and plus one on the blackfire midnight sun it works wonders but its very expensive
Old 10-13-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zaino.

Inside the garage

Outside

Old 10-13-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just use off the shelf meguiars NXT. no complaints here!!
Old 10-13-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by my01ws6
This is why I say Pinnacle.

GO WITH THE PINNACLE! lol

Quick Reply: Best Car Wax for DARK CARS