Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Buffing tonight, first time using Menz IP

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool Buffing tonight, first time using Menz IP

I've been using the Tropi-Care TC-8 mostly for a while, along with some 3M compound for heavier scratches.

I am going to try out the Menzerna IP on my SS for the first time tonight. I've read some stuff about using it, just looking for some input.

I have TC-3 & liquid carnuba...What should I use as a topper? Both?

After washing...

After drying...

The car is clayed & wiped down & ready to go.

Any input is welcome!

Thanks

Jason
Old 07-21-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have had good fun with it. work it with a orange pad of some sort until its clear in a two by two area and your good..BUT you will leave marring behind no doubt, I suggest using final polish by menzerna or any final polish of any brand..only use a white polishing pad with that and you will be very happy with results..Let me know how it goes I have alot of experience with this, let me know if you have any questions
Old 07-21-2008, 03:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Jason:

Use Landonz's guideline for working the IP on the surface. The IP will feature a greater cutting ability than the Swirl Cutter to level the deeper surface scratches and blemishes. Keep a spray bottle of water handy to minimize the dusting. Work this small initial surface area until you are satisfied with your results before proceeding on the rest of the car. For removing the micro-marring on darker colors, you can also follow up with the white pad and Swirl Cutter at speed 4.0-4.5.

To finish this detail, you can apply the Sealant xP first and then the TC-2 Liquid Wax over top for additional depth. The TC-2 Wax can also be used as a stand alone product.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the advice guys.

Just made the first pass on the rear spoiler & 1/4 panel. I was expecting more micro-marring & a bit more cutting. I'm not complaining though. It is hard to see hardcore results with my car, because I keep the finish pretty decent. So far, I think the Menz is OK, I don't think I really need it on this car though.

Here is a snapshot of the 1/4 panel reflection after the Menz. I suck at photos, can't seem to get an good pics of the LED light shinning on it.

Last edited by Unstang; 07-21-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Unstang
So far, I think the Menz is OK, I don't think I really need it on this car though.
As clean as you keep your car, I'm not surprised.

Something I'll add: I always like to remove the worked in MIP with a 50/50 rubbing alcohol/water mix (from a spray bottle). While MIP isn't loaded with fillers, it can leave behind a little residue. I've found the alcohol/water wipedown gets rid of any residue and gives me a good, clean surface for the next step.

For me, that's usually Menzerna FP2 with a white pad or Tropi-Care TC-8 Swirl Cutter with a white pad.

After that, I apply a good sealant Tropi-Care TC-3xP (my current weapon of choice), Blackfire, or Zaino. I've also used Menzerna FMJ in the past, but found it to be a little harder to work with than the other products I just listed. I will say that it works VERY well when you add a layer of Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze, though.

If you have more questions/problems, post up. I've used the Menzerna line pretty extensively (should be obvious by now), so I've got some experience and have also helped some other folks on this board.

This (very old) thread might help: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/358966-full-menzerna-pics-56k-begone.html

-Mike
Old 07-21-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Mike, I actually dug that thread up a while back, when I first thought about getting the Menz.

It is coming along pretty good. I might get to the TC-3 yet tonight, been taking it easy.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got the Menzerna done, went over it with the TC-8 swirl cutter, & I found a sample bottle of TC Sealant XP that I have never tried. This combo looks to be pretty nice. All products went on & came off easy. That is the thing I like most about TC products, they are very easy to work with & put out great results time & time again. I've gotta say thanks again to Steve & the TC crew for making buying detailing supplies pretty easy & cost effective.

I tried to snap a shot in the garage, but they don't do it any justice. I can't wait to see it out in the sun!

Here are a couple shots of the front, sorry for the dark pics, my camera skills are lousy.

Tomorrow I'll pull it out of the garage after work & snap some pics & then I am going to top it with liquid carnuba.

I'll be in the Twin Cities for the Car Craft Summer Nats this weekend showing off the results.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks amazing man!
Old 07-22-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to be clear... you are using a PC right?

No way Menzerna IP will leave any marring behind whatsoever on our hard GM clears by a PC. Even when using it with an Orange pad. You can even use SIP/Orange with little to zero micro-marring behind, and I do it quite often. IP is a finishing polish for our clears and does not need to be followed up with any finer polish than that. If you're finishing with FP or FPII, you're just wasting time on a GM, IMO.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Just to be clear... you are using a PC right?

No way Menzerna IP will leave any marring behind whatsoever on our hard GM clears by a PC. Even when using it with an Orange pad. You can even use SIP/Orange with little to zero micro-marring behind, and I do it quite often. IP is a finishing polish for our clears and does not need to be followed up with any finer polish than that. If you're finishing with FP or FPII, you're just wasting time on a GM, IMO.
Yeah, you are right. I had an orange pad on the PC, speed 6 & the surface was pretty much ready to go...I'm anxious to see how it does on other finishes.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Getting closer...
Here are some daylight pics, nothing on top of the TC XP sealer as of yet.

I'll post some more pics once it is all done.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks GREAT, nice job.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

i dont get any micromarring on my car when i used the IP. i used an orange pad with it also.
it dont leave any on my 03 black benz eather. i go from the ip to my blackfire gloss enhancing polish which really wets the finish then from there i used my blackfire wet diamond sealant.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iron Head
Looks amazing man!
Originally Posted by luckyou03
looks GREAT, nice job.
Thanks!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Drove it to St Paul, Mn for the Car Craft Summer Nats this weekend. The car saw more rain in 3 days than it probably ever has...

Before we left my friend's house on Friday morning...

Show on Saturday morning.

The good news is the products held up to the weather great & I didn't crash it on the bald MT radials on the way home.

Quick Reply: Buffing tonight, first time using Menz IP