Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

George, your wilwood brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 05:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default George, your wilwood brakes

I noticed in a pic you had some light weight rear brakes. Do you have them on the front also? How much weight do they save?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2001, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: George, your wilwood brakes

Nope, just on the rear. AFAIK, nobody makes anything for the front, except for the high dollar road race type kits.

I went with the Wilwoods because I broke two stock calipers because of the grinding done to clear my 15" wheels (I ground too much where it wasn't needed). I was fed up, and swapped over to the Wilwood brakes. Believe it or not, I still have to run a thin spacer on the rear, otherwise the backside of the wheel contacts part of the Wilwood caliper.

I went with the "Pro Street" kit instead of the drag kit. The only difference in the two are the rotors. The drag rotors are paper thin, and were not recommended for a car that sees any street driving. I don't know about weight difference since I neglected to weigh the stock stuff before pitching it in the can. Kind of wish I had now, though.

I don't think it's anything to do in an effort to save a few pounds. They were fairly pricey by the time I had new lines and everything made up for the rear.
Old 12-20-2001, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: George, your wilwood brakes

Thanks for the info. I'll keep looking for light weight rotors that work with the stock calipers though. I bet we could take another 20# of weight off the front with a good set!