Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Tinted Windshield Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008 | 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have 35% on my doors. i thought about getting my windshield tinted 50%. but here in Jersey, the inspection sticker poses a problem.
Old 09-22-2008 | 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have 5% on my hatch, 15% on my driver/passanger and 35% on my windshield. i would not suggest any darker then 35% on a windshield. i get kids everyonce in a while that want it and i sway them from it. although i did have a few basketball players bring some high dollar cars in that wanted limo all around and 15% on the windshield. Said Detroit pistons player said "i want some of that non yo business tint" so i wasn't going to argue....but otherwise i only like 35%...on my ram i have 35% on the windshield as well but it's the platinum film

my buddy's old stratus with tinted windshield

his new (to him) mustang tinted just the same

Old 09-22-2008 | 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
would 50% be pointless?
no.. 50% is great to have because it greatly reduces glare of the sun, oncoming traffic at night. and its not too dark that you'll get a ticket right away. personally, i would love to have 35% or 50% on the windshield but cops are very strict around here and i cant roll down the windshield LOL
Old 09-22-2008 | 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by italicizedsponge
no.. 50% is great to have because it greatly reduces glare of the sun, oncoming traffic at night. and its not too dark that you'll get a ticket right away. personally, i would love to have 35% or 50% on the windshield but cops are very strict around here and i cant roll down the windshield LOL
50% is nice if you want the UV protection, otherwise it is hardly detectable. it will really do little against the glare or anything else. One of my old trucks i had i put 50% on the windshield just because a particular local cop used to pull me over everyday so i went with 50% for a month so he would leave me alone. he even pulled me over with 50% on a gloomy day and i told him it wasn't tinted i just tinted the back of my truck darker (which i also did) he looked at the windshield and the rest of the truck and said "ohh...i see what you did, take it easy matt" it's bad when you're on first name basis with the police
Old 09-22-2008 | 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

i have 15% on the back and sides then 20% on the windshield. u can see fine at night of course u cant see in it at all, but i like the looks of it.
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:10 AM
Banned

on the side windows. a buddy told me to try this.

when i get pulled over and the cop says" roll your window up so i can check it." i say this" no, it is in side my car, and i don't give you permission to search my car. so go get a warrent if you want the window up."

what you guys think. think it would work?
Old 09-23-2008 | 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

when i get pulled over and the cop says" roll your window up so i can check it." i say this" no, it is in side my car, and i don't give you permission to search my car. so go get a warrent if you want the window up."

Yeah, it should get you a ticket for something else!
Old 09-23-2008 | 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

no, thats plain dumb.

i swear people and their imagination....
Old 09-23-2008 | 01:06 PM
Teching In

my dad has 10% on the sides and back of his 99 red corvette, he put 40% on the front windshield and you cant see in it at all. In daylight you can see perfect out of, and what I like the most is on a perfect sunny day the only thing somebody can see when driving in front of him is his hand on the steering wheel, very cool! havent driven it at night yet tho, so i don't know about that.
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

on my turbo 93 civic coupe ( i know guys dont flame but it makes power) i had 5% on everything, and 50% on the windshield, i loved it and i think it helped with glare, had a problem with a few cops, but i think cops hate the rice ( i dont have altezzas or a gay fart pipe, just a sohc vtec with an edelbrock turbo kit)

Im thinking of getting my trans am in sig tinted with the back and side windows 35 and do the windsheild 50..
I also had a buddy with an 06 rsx have platnum 18% on everything and 35 on the windshield, really does make the car look slick but you get the wrong cop and it would suck to have him take a look under your car and notice your long tubes with no cats and send you to inspection..
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

and when he does that you go to a friend who works at an inspection place. I want to tint my windshield but could i get something in between 35 and 50%?
Old 09-23-2008 | 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

heres all you need to know:

DO IT
Old 09-23-2008 | 10:33 PM
Launching!

Someone mentioned having vision issues if using polarized sunglasses...I wear polarized Oakleys whenever I'm driving during the day, would non-metalized tint not have this issue, or am I pretty much SOL?
Old 09-23-2008 | 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by csxfbird
Someone mentioned having vision issues if using polarized sunglasses...I wear polarized Oakleys whenever I'm driving during the day, would non-metalized tint not have this issue, or am I pretty much SOL?
I dont know...I have a cheap pair if Fossils or some crap I keep in my truck for spares and when I wear them I get the rainbow effect looking through the tint on the side windows (5% on all 4 doors and the back) but wearing my Raybans I dont get it. I would think the Raybans are polorized and the others arent but I dont know. I would say if you dont get that effect looking through the side windows with them then your fine.

BTW I have it set up to get the windshield tinted next week...before the GM Fest at Silver Springs.
Old 09-23-2008 | 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

ONE MORE QUESTION....what did you guys do about the rear view mirror? Did you take it off and just tint around the mount on the windshield?
Old 09-24-2008 | 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
ONE MORE QUESTION....what did you guys do about the rear view mirror? Did you take it off and just tint around the mount on the windshield?
yes. it's been a while since i've looked but i believe our cars just have a tiny torks bit that holds the mirror on.

(if you have a tinter that knows what they're doing) they will remove the miror, then just cut around the metal mount and lay the film and later reinstall the mirror. you will only see the little mount through the tint if they can cut a nice smooth line

if you get your car back and the tinter is an assclown, you will be able to tell by a cut mark running strait up from the mount where they cut the film so they could just plop it around the mirror.
Old 09-24-2008 | 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's stupid and will get the cop to mess with you even more. here in MI tint is not legal and when i do get pulled over and the cop asks for a doctors note or an explaination i just tell them strait up i work at a detail/tint shop and i'm aware it's illegal and that you can only have a 4" strip on the top of 35% on any window adjacent to the driver in MI.... This usually dumbfounds the cop because they're used to the "ohh i bought the car like this...i didn't know" and i've yet to get a ticket for tint since i was in HS when i tell the truth
Old 09-28-2008 | 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

heres mine. its 15% on the sides and back then 20%on the windshield. i can see out just fine at night, and not much of a glare.
Attached Thumbnails Tinted Windshield Questions....-dsc05442.jpg   Tinted Windshield Questions....-dsc05443.jpg  
Old 09-28-2008 | 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Havent done my fbody yet but here is my malibu

2 1/2% all around and 35% on the windshield
Attached Thumbnails Tinted Windshield Questions....-c435886e-3f47-402a-9866-8ad82614f540.jpg   Tinted Windshield Questions....-8072c987-aa35-4813-a222-1e585210f665.jpg  
Old 09-28-2008 | 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

I went with 35% on the front windshield and 5% all around. I was thinking that 35% would be too light and thought about going with the 20%, but keep in mind since the windshield is at an angle, it would look darker than it actually is. This is why the 35% on F-Body's look darker because of the viewing angle in my opinion. Here's some pics:

Some ol' pics from before:

Present:

Quick Reply: Tinted Windshield Questions....