Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this a fair price for tints?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is this a fair price for tints?

Hey guys,

I just got off the phone with a local audio shop and they told me $185 for all the door windows and rear window. I only have tint on my rear window which is all blue, and he said $40 per window for tint removal.

Is this good? Also do you think the tints are really worth it? I have a full bolt on car and I don't think I could use the money for anything else..
Thanks guys
Old 09-23-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty good deal. And, yes it is worth it! Not only does it keep your interior cooler and better protect it, but it also looks amazing on these cars!

Unfortunately I just got a ticket for side window tint, and now I have to remove it
Old 09-23-2008, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Ah that sucks. Idk how dark I should go though, I want it so people can't clearly see in, but I also wanna be able to see out without any problems?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
Pretty good deal. And, yes it is worth it! Not only does it keep your interior cooler and better protect it, but it also looks amazing on these cars!

Unfortunately I just got a ticket for side window tint, and now I have to remove it
Weird, I'm yet to get a ticket for side window tint in the south bay.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

thats a pretty good price. its a bitch to get that tint off. i think im gonna do 5% on the sides and eyebrow and 15% in the rear, so i can see out of it at night. and we dont have state inspections in arkansas, so i dont have to worry bout it. unless a cop pulls me over and is bein a dick.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

I payed 300 for a 3M tint job that last a lifetime, If i scratch it I can take it back and get it redone. 185 is a steal Get 20% Here's mine in the day, not to hard to see out of at night
Old 09-23-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

That price is a steal. I got quoted $300 for everything. With tint removed by the business. It's different wherever you go depending on the demand, and also the quality of tint used. Also a big factor is if you have rear window defrost. The guy who is going to do my tint said it was going to take the better part of a day to remove due to trying to save the little strips. This is where most of the money will go.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Banned Village Idiot

sounds like a good deal... $40 per window to remove the tint sounds too high tho... but i don't know... i would remove it myself... go to home depot and get yourself a can of this thing called "stripper" it removes paint from wood i used that to remove my old tint on my car years ago worked great!!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Find out if they're doing one piece for the back window or two. I've seen alot of cheaper places do two piece on the back window.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned Village Idiot

i would really stay away from the 2 piece... but if you have done that before and looked good, go for it!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

My car has 2 piece on the back at the moment. Umm.. Can i take the back off myself by just getting under the tint and pulling it off? Or am I going to kill my defroster?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87

no you dont, just go pay the fine bitch!

That's a real good deal, but is it the lowest grade tint? What % are you looking at getting?

If youre getting 5% make sure it's good tint because if it isnt the tint will turn blue.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Veteran

^^I wish it was that easy. I have to get a cop to review the car, make sure theres no tint on the side windows, a front license plate on the car, no blacked-out taillight covers, and then he signs the back of the ticket.

I will probably re-do the tint, but it sucks that I have to remove what is on there right now because its a nice tint job...
Old 09-23-2008, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Holy crap that sucks^

I don't know about the tint grade, I only called for a price. I'm still deciding whether or not I should do it.

But could I just rip off the old tint on the hatch without hurting the defroster lines?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Teching In

my car came with like what I think was 85% tint which is nothing. First thing I did was took it to a tint shop they quoted me 85 to remove it all, and 165 to have 15% put all the way around then another 15 to have a 5% eyebrow put on. I wasn't too happy to hear that it would cost 85 bucks to remove it, so I did it myself no problem. I just grabbed a razor blade and started at one corner, came off no problem, left some glue, but windexed that right away. The back window was easy to, don't worry about the defrost it wasn't a problem for me. Saved myself $85 and he forgot to charge me for the eyebrow. So 165 for everything.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

I had to do all this stuff too with my tint. I originally had 5% all the way around, and i wasn't bothered by cops for the first year or so, then i got pulled over 2 times in 4 days for it. So if i got the tint removed, my tickets would be dropped. So here's what i did to get it off, and it worked like a charm:

For the tint removal, go to any local auto parts store (advanced, autozone, ect...) and get some tint remover (basically it's just a spray bottle with ammonia in it). Get a black lawn trash bag and tape it over the outside of the glass on a nice sunny day, and spray the inside where the tint is, and let it bake in the sun for a bit. (remember, the sun should be hitting the trash bag that's on top of the window). Make sure to leave the doors open to air out, because you dont want those ammonia fumes in the car while you are letting the ammonia do it's job. Then after about 30 minutes, take off the trash bag and take a razor blade and work one of the corners of the window till you can get a fingers grip on it, then just pull gently and it should all come off in one nice sheet. Be careful with the rear hatch if you use the razor blade, because YES you can cut through one of the defroster lines, and that will cause that line to not work.

If you try it without the ammonia like i did for one window, it will take all day and will be VERY messy.

Another important thing to make sure of is that if you plan to get the windows retinted, and you remove the original tint yourself MAKE SURE that you get ALL of the glue/residue from the original tint job off of your window. I cleaned mine with hot water and dishwasher detergent.

As for the darkness....i currently have 5% on the rear hatch and 35% on the sides. I think it's the perfect percentage myself, even after having 5%. It's dark enough where you can only see the outline and MAYBE facial features if the light shines in just right. But for the most part, it looks very sweet on the car.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

I need to get my driver's side redone. I called a place here, they said it would be 40 Bucks to peel and retint.

But, I think that I am going to pull the old **** off myself then take it in to get it tinted.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Around here it's about $175 including removal. If I were doing mine again, it would 15% sides and 5% rear.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Around here it's about $175 including removal. If I were doing mine again, it would 15% sides and 5% rear.
thats what i had done for $160( no removal)....after that i found out the hard way that my felt window pusher was broke and gouged the tint
Old 09-23-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Veteran

I dont see why removing the old tint from the rear window would ruin the defroster lines, unless you are scraping it off or something like that. Then to remove the leftover resedue use goo-gone or something like that, so that it is not abrasive on the defroster lines.

Also, maybe try doing it in the sun, or with a hair dryer, it might make it come off easier, but I don't know from experience YET (next couple of days I will know all about it, lol).

Quick Reply: Is this a fair price for tints?