Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anybody remove backseats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i ever redo my interior with black carpet and cover everything in black leather, i'm going to do this. that way, when i recover it, there wont be all those indentions and cutouts for seatbelts on the plastic back there. might build a sub box that is easily removable back there too.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

same here my carpet is all nasty and i want to build a small subbox back in one of the cubby's while using the other for my junk
Old 10-09-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprisingly the rear seats themselves are not that heavy. I would say maybe 8 lbs. If you took out the seatbelts/seatbelt retractor things you could take a little more weight out there.

I took the rear seats out of my Z28 because it had cloth and I purchased leather front seats, but had trouble finding someone to just sell me the rears. No one sat back there anyway. I pulled the seats and replaced them with a delete kit that I made. It wasn't fancy, just two sheets of plywood tacked together at a 90 degree angle and covered with spare carpet I had in my attic. I used carpet/vinyl/headliner dye spray to match it to my car.

I don't have the measurements but the easiest way to do it is get a piece of that 1" thick blue home insulation sheet from home depot. That way you can sit in the car with a box cutter and chip away at it until it fits how you want. Then just trace it onto the plywood, cut, cover with carpet and voila, there you have it. From there you could put subs/trap door whatever your heart desires.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by keliente
Surprisingly the rear seats themselves are not that heavy. I would say maybe 8 lbs. If you took out the seatbelts/seatbelt retractor things you could take a little more weight out there.

I took the rear seats out of my Z28 because it had cloth and I purchased leather front seats, but had trouble finding someone to just sell me the rears. No one sat back there anyway. I pulled the seats and replaced them with a delete kit that I made. It wasn't fancy, just two sheets of plywood tacked together at a 90 degree angle and covered with spare carpet I had in my attic. I used carpet/vinyl/headliner dye spray to match it to my car.

I don't have the measurements but the easiest way to do it is get a piece of that 1" thick blue home insulation sheet from home depot. That way you can sit in the car with a box cutter and chip away at it until it fits how you want. Then just trace it onto the plywood, cut, cover with carpet and voila, there you have it. From there you could put subs/trap door whatever your heart desires.
Looks sick!! Great job.

- Mike
Old 10-09-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

that looks awsome, keliente. i want mine to look like that but one side will be a sub box and the other will have a top that lifts up and have a little storage compartment. kind of like what reject was talking about.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

I took mine out because the dog dind't fit in the seat. Now with no seat she curls up in the depression just fine. keliente that looks sick I may have to see if I can do that. Any one want to do a write up of removing the seat belts I still have those back there.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GTABurnout
I took mine out because the dog dind't fit in the seat. Now with no seat she curls up in the depression just fine. keliente that looks sick I may have to see if I can do that. Any one want to do a write up of removing the seat belts I still have those back there.
Pretty easy, you need a 3/4 in socket and a T50
Old 10-09-2008, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

At first I pondered if this was a serious question because so many people have done it, but as you see you have many good options to go with. Personally, I think it looks weird without the back seats in the car. That's just my opinion though.

*Kelly, you get another vette?!
Old 10-09-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Wow, that looks pretty damn good.

Seems to be more usefull than our seats. . .
Old 10-09-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My backseats are gone and has a setup like Keliente's. I did it more for the !mooch mod than anything, and it works GREAT!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tbird31
At first I pondered if this was a serious question because so many people have done it, but as you see you have many good options to go with. Personally, I think it looks weird without the back seats in the car. That's just my opinion though.

*Kelly, you get another vette?!
Yep I picked up a '97 for $10k It has rod knock but who cares, I have a lot of spare parts laying around. I may sell my formula soon so I can focus my time & energy (and $!) to making something out of the vette.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

that looks awsome, keliente. i want mine to look like that but one side will be a sub box and the other will have a top that lifts up and have a little storage compartment. kind of like what reject was talking about.
Maybe a little road Cooler

Quick Reply: Anybody remove backseats?