Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Need some advice on re-polishing stock WS6/SS exhaust tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on re-polishing stock WS6/SS exhaust tips

Ok, so the polished exhaust tips on my WS6 are showing quite a bit of carbon these days and I've decided to go ahead and polish them back to the factory shine. I first tried doing it by hand using Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish then Nevr-Dull. It didn't take long for me to figure out that it's going to take more than elbow grease to solve this particular problem; time for a little electric/mechanical assistance. I've got a Dremel XPR with just about every attachment and bit that they make. I'm thinking the 423, 414, or 429 (polishing bits/pads) would probably work best. Anyone ever used their Dremel for this (if so, what tips did you use)? I've also heard about "cheap buffing/polishing wheels" that you can get for your drill, anyone able to share more info about these? I thought about buying a Powerball to use for this but if there is a better way of doing it without spending the $20+, I would rather do that (not to sound cheap or anything, but no sense spending money if you don't have to). So let's hear it, guys, and thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 10-12-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

I rememeber doing this to my brothers t/a with the tips off. If i am not mistaken these tips are very porous so you need to sand them with like a 600grt or a little more agressive sanding pad. once you do that you go down to a finner sand paper. i polished with the dremmel but it will take you forever to do it that way. You can put a buffing wheel that is bigger on a drill and polish with rouge you can buy at sears.

The polishig pad will look like a cloth wheel. about 1-1/2 to 2" in diameter

If you have one of those cool little air tools that you can put those nice little plastic removable grinding discs on , it would be a great help.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pheonix
I rememeber doing this to my brothers t/a with the tips off. If i am not mistaken these tips are very porous so you need to sand them with like a 600grt or a little more agressive sanding pad. once you do that you go down to a finner sand paper. i polished with the dremmel but it will take you forever to do it that way. You can put a buffing wheel that is bigger on a drill and polish with rouge you can buy at sears.

The polishig pad will look like a cloth wheel. about 1-1/2 to 2" in diameter

If you have one of those cool little air tools that you can put those nice little plastic removable grinding discs on , it would be a great help.

Thanks Phoenix. Damn, that seems like a real pain (especially since I can't remove the stock tips) but I guess if that's what it takes I don't have much of a choice. I'm going to have to think on this for a bit...
Old 10-16-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

I tryed this with a dremal and is sucked like the other guy said the casting sucks I did 600 then 1000 grit then mag polish came out ok but not great.\
Hook'em Horns

Quick Reply: Need some advice on re-polishing stock WS6/SS exhaust tips