Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l65e

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l65e

New guy here. Quick question. Do the 4L65E's have a thinner low roller race than 4L60E's? I think i heard that the 4L65E's use a bearing between the sun shell and the low roller race instead of a thrust washer. So in theory I could get a low roller race from a 4L65E and use the bearing. Or am I way off. I know the 65's use a bearing instead of a thrust washer between the reaction carrier shaft and the sun shell. I've built 2 700r4s and they are still on the road but this is my first 4l60e. For you guys making big power, how often do the rear planets fail?
Old 10-11-2008, 03:36 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

The 4L60E & 4L60E use the same low roller inner race, as both use the plastic washer between the sunshell and race. The 4 pinion planets are fine. I have not had a failure in any of 9 & 10 second units. Make sure you use the Viton input to output shaft seal from a 4L60E when building a 700R4, this will guarantee lube to the planetaries. Dana
Old 10-11-2008, 10:06 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PedaltoMetal
New guy here. Quick question. Do the 4L65E's have a thinner low roller race than 4L60E's? I think i heard that the 4L65E's use a bearing between the sun shell and the low roller race instead of a thrust washer. So in theory I could get a low roller race from a 4L65E and use the bearing. Or am I way off. I know the 65's use a bearing instead of a thrust washer between the reaction carrier shaft and the sun shell. I've built 2 700r4s and they are still on the road but this is my first 4l60e. For you guys making big power, how often do the rear planets fail?
What you have seen is an after market/custom piece. The low roller races are the same in the 700r4,4l60e and 4l65e. With installing a bearing on the sunshell the low roller race needs to be machined to accommodate this bearing. Here are some pictures of what we make here at FLT for our level 4 and 5 builds. These are pictures of the shell being modified.

Here is a picture of the modified low roller race. It is machined to compensate for the bearing and its retainer.

As far as the planets are concerned we like to use AcDelco 5 pinion planets in our level 5 builds. I feel that these planets are stronger than the oem 4 pinion planets and also were designed to support more torque than 4 pinion planets. I also have seen many used 4 pinion planets from cores we have torn down that the gears on the pinions seem to wobble causing a failure. I personally have not had this problem with the 5 pinion version and also the gears seem to not pit like the 4's. If you can afford the AcDelco planets for your build I would say use them. Vince