Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot trans...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 02:26 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hot trans...

Well a few months back I had Speed Inc install a 3200 Vig converter and a 19,000 B&M trans cooler. I'm still running the stock thermo stat. Speed Inc said the 19,000 trans cooler will be more then enough. This is my daily driver and I noticed after about 10mins of driving my fans will pretty much stay on the entire time until I turn the car off.

So should I have went with a bigger trans cooler, or should I get a lower thermo stat? At first I didn't care that the fans stayed on all the time, but now I'm starting to think maybe its getting too hot?
Old 09-14-2003, 02:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Default Re: Hot trans...

I set my fans to run all the time after warm-up on purpose. That way there is always air blowing across the trans cooler.

If you are worried about your trans running hot, get a temp gage or watch it on a-tap....
Old 09-14-2003, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the 28000 cooler, and sometimes I wonder if its getting too hot after 4 passes in a row at the track. I guess a gage would be the only way to tell for sure.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:28 PM
Customizing Director

If you are worried about your trans running hot, get a temp gage or watch it on a-tap....
Alright cool, I guess I'll go get a gauge soon so I can see whats happening more. While I'm at it I wonder what other gauges (3) I should get. Trans temp, water temp, ???
Old 09-14-2003, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

Hey Madice, you said you have a Vig. 3200 right? I just put the same converter on my car its a 2000 Z. I have a few mods ,but what my question is do you have to give it alot of gas more than before the stall to get it moving? Also I dont exactly know what the converter locking means but sometimes in 3rd gear its stays at the same RPM rage for a while until I give it more gas is this normal? I was just wondering if you could help me out since we have the same stall.
THANKS
Old 09-14-2003, 05:55 PM
Customizing Director

Same stall and pretty much same car (Both 00 Z's). It does take some more gas to get the car moving. I'm usually around 2000 RPM's a lot on the street when taking off normally. Once it hits about 50ish I'll be crusin at like 1100-1300 RPMS and then will have to give it some gas if I want to get out of it (which seems to be what you described), but the car does take off fast.

If you have 2.73 gears (which I have in mine) it will make the car feel more loose compared to a higher geared car.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

I have 3.42's, but ya once it hits 4th it feels alot better. Also since I put the stall i have misfires in all cyclinders for some reason which I didnt have before I cant explain that.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Customizing Director

Also since I put the stall i have misfires in all cyclinders for some reason which I didnt have before I cant explain that.
Wow that would **** me off. Can't say I would be able to explain it either.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have the trans. temp gauge with a cooler and a deep pan.highest have seen so far is 180 degrees cruising on the freeway.will compare when at the track.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is an important thing to remember guys. We typically check our trans temps during WOT testing on the highway. Running on the highway, even at WOT bursts, is probably the coolest your tranny will be. You're running locked up before hand, you're getting your best airflow between the cruise speed and the fans, and you're probably in the highest part of the TCs efficieny band when you do unlock.

If you have a real concern about a converter in a daily driver, test it in city traffic after about 20 minutes of driving around. That stop and go in the 35-45 mph range is were the temps really build up. There's nothing as brutal as the lock, unlock, lock, unlock of rush hour and constructions zones.

I got some real surprises when I first put in my Tran temp gauge. It's definitly a good mod for a daily driver/weekend racer.

Rick
Old 09-15-2003, 12:29 AM
Customizing Director

If you have a real concern about a converter in a daily driver, test it in city traffic after about 20 minutes of driving around. That stop and go in the 35-45 mph range is were the temps really build up. There's nothing as brutal as the lock, unlock, lock, unlock of rush hour and constructions zones.
See now thats what I'm talking about with the "Hot trans" . Even tho it was cool to open the door at a stop light and feel a warm 10mph wind coming from under the car , still made me wonder if it is too hot? Thus this thread to make sure it is safe. But looks like I'll need the gauge 1st to make sure.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, best thing to do is to watch it with the gauge, my TH400 sees A LOT of stop and go and its gotten close to 210 just driving around, and I have a LARGE cooler...
Old 09-15-2003, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Also since I put the stall i have misfires in all cyclinders for some reason which I didnt have before I cant explain that.
Wow that would **** me off. Can't say I would be able to explain it either.
This _can_ be normal(you should always check to be sure). The stock converter is larger and contains more fluid which will mask alot of the harmonics present in the engine.In a sense the converter acts as an additional harmonic balancer. Going to a smaller converter will not absorb as many of the small harmoinics present and will tend to show misfires.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:28 PM
Customizing Director

lerajie - So I can possibly be having mis-fire's and not even know it?