Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

accidently into reverse while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default accidently into reverse while driving

well my girlfriend thought she was being cute by pushing my car from drive to neutral while driving because it would just nmake me rev (well fyi i have a 2000 camaro v6 with 80,000) and it accidently went into reverse because i was tapping my hand on the shifter to the beat of the music and it was while i was going like 30 and i caught it before anything really "happened" but it starting to bog down so to speak but it never fully went into gear and i put it into neutral real fast and turned the key off but i couldnt tell if the car shut off on its own or if i did it myself because it all happened so fast. the car still runs and pulls really strong, the oil is still excellent and so is the transmission. doesnt make any weird noises and there are no funny smells. it drives just like it did before but i had an older truck that did this and it drove for an hour or so before i found out i had a busted lifter and seized my camshaft in place. i have turned it off and on several times and reved it several times and like i said everything seems perfect. right after i shut it off/the car shut itself off it wouldnt start right away it took maybe like 3 or 4 cranks or so and then it turned over and drove fine. is this car supposed to shut off on its own in an accident like this? someone please help i hope i didnt f*** anything up...
Old 10-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Sounds like you need to dump her.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00MaroVSix
well my girlfriend thought she was being cute by pushing my car from drive to neutral while driving because it would just nmake me rev (well fyi i have a 2000 camaro v6 with 80,000) and it accidently went into reverse because i was tapping my hand on the shifter to the beat of the music and it was while i was going like 30 and i caught it before anything really "happened" but it starting to bog down so to speak but it never fully went into gear and i put it into neutral real fast and turned the key off but i couldnt tell if the car shut off on its own or if i did it myself because it all happened so fast. the car still runs and pulls really strong, the oil is still excellent and so is the transmission. doesnt make any weird noises and there are no funny smells. it drives just like it did before but i had an older truck that did this and it drove for an hour or so before i found out i had a busted lifter and seized my camshaft in place. i have turned it off and on several times and reved it several times and like i said everything seems perfect. right after i shut it off/the car shut itself off it wouldnt start right away it took maybe like 3 or 4 cranks or so and then it turned over and drove fine. is this car supposed to shut off on its own in an accident like this? someone please help i hope i didnt f*** anything up...

this happend 2 my auto z28 and drove good 4 about a minute then booom!!!!

jkjkjk ull be fine nothing happend but tell her 2 stop being stupid in ur car.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1passion
jkjkjk ull be fine nothing happend but tell her 2 stop being stupid in ur car.
I agree.

Just tell her "wrong ****"
Old 10-26-2008, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

lol like i said it never fully went into gear and it pulls so strong so i dont think anything happened but just needed reassurement. funny you speak of dumping her and stuff because....a week after we started going out...this happened to my other chevy.....lol.....and that was over a year ago

Old 10-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Banned

I did that once, had a tuner hooked up, checking something while shifting manually. I went into reverse around 80 IIRC, pulled it out well under a second. RPM went from 5000 or so down to 400 but it never stalled.
I later took the trans apart for some upgrades and didn't find any problems.

You should be ok.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jetlag
I agree.

Just tell her "wrong ****"
any chance u can help me out on my thread. rebuilt transmission slipping.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah if mine goes into R while driving my car will just shut off and thats it nothing got messed up, so you should be fine....
Old 10-26-2008, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 189 Likes on 146 Posts

^^That is true. I've tested that to see, and it works. It's a programmed safety kill. A friend of mine runs a Tranny Shop and explained to me how it works, but it's something electronically controlled.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

thank you guys for all the responses i needed major reassurement last night becuase i was stressing. i take pride in my car and i dont want to see another one of my cars on a flat bed!!!! thanks guys
Old 10-26-2008, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

I accidentally put mine in reverse while doing a 1-2 shift. I had no safety kill feature. It stalled the engine and locked the rear wheels lol. This was a th400 trans though. It scared the crap out of me because I had just rebuilt the engine and had about 2 weeks of breakin on it lol.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

either way she should give you some money and ******** to make up for it.

Quick Reply: accidently into reverse while driving