Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different input shafts for 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Different input shafts for 4L60E

I just got my new tranny, but my vigilante 3600 stall won't go in on the shaft. It goes in no problem on my old tranny, and when you take a look at them both they look kinda different. We did however, had to swap the bellhousings cuz the new one was from a truck. Is there 2 different type of input shafts on the 4L60E?
Old 09-16-2003, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Different input shafts for 4L60E

Unfortunately there is..

A new 300mm converter was used in the 98+ LS1 F-body, and 99+ C/K truck style. These transmissions are identified by the top, center bolt on the bellhousing. This input shaft is about 1/4" longer than previous shafts. I'm guessing you have a transmission from a 97/98 truck, and need an "LT1" style converter that fits the older style shaft.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Where did you get that transmission? That seems strange.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Teching In

It gets worse than just the input shaft. The stator shaft that is bolted and pressed into the pump is also 30mm longer on a LS1 4L60E. The other 4L60E for the smaller torque converters was used in full size truck, LT1 camaro, S10, Small Blazer, Astro van, and caprice. I made the mistake of buying the wrong tranny and have been through all of this the hard way. My trans is still screwed up. I am debating about throwing the thing away just buying a new one. I only have like 1500 into this trans. If I was you, I would have the trans completly rebuilt by a shop with the right parts installed. The input shaft and forward clutch drum is around 95. The stator shaft is around 70 but you are better off buying a new pump assembly. Swaping that stator shaft was not worth the savings of a new pump. The seal and gasket kit is around 50. Or buy a new trans and use the one you have as a core. That is what I'm probably going to do.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why not just get the matching converter, and the matching flexplate (bolt pattern different? Use the one from the 'vette I'm told) ...
Old 09-18-2003, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It gets worse than just the input shaft. The stator shaft that is bolted and pressed into the pump is also 30mm longer on a LS1 4L60E. The other 4L60E for the smaller torque converters was used in full size truck, LT1 camaro, S10, Small Blazer, Astro van, and caprice. I made the mistake of buying the wrong tranny and have been through all of this the hard way. My trans is still screwed up. I am debating about throwing the thing away just buying a new one. I only have like 1500 into this trans. If I was you, I would have the trans completly rebuilt by a shop with the right parts installed. The input shaft and forward clutch drum is around 95. The stator shaft is around 70 but you are better off buying a new pump assembly. Swaping that stator shaft was not worth the savings of a new pump. The seal and gasket kit is around 50. Or buy a new trans and use the one you have as a core. That is what I'm probably going to do.
We noticed that too. The tranny shop sent both back and I'm getting mine rebuilt.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:29 AM
Teching In

The reason we can't use the smaller converter flexplate and converter is that the LS1 flexplate is dished. The end of the crank is also unique to support the end of the converter. If you try to bolt the smaller converter to the LS1 flexplate, it doesn't line up with any holes or not the proper holes. The converters are also different width by as much as .5-1 inch. So when you bolt the converter in, it disengages the transmission pump. The other flexplates are based on the older small block chevy crank bolt pattern so it will not bolt to the LS1 crank.

The moral of the story is once you go LS1...you have to make sure you get all the specific parts for an LS1 including flexplate, converter, and transmission.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

The C5 Corvette uses the older style 'verter -- try that flexplate.. If you're pulling the verter too far out of the pump, you can shim either the flexplate, the converter, or both.

Quick Reply: Different input shafts for 4L60E