Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans dipstick has fluid spurting out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans dipstick has fluid spurting out?

I had a 4L60E fully built with a modified high stall a while back and it went great. Since then I've had it removed by the workshop to go into a new car, thing is, today they fitted it to the new car (fully compatible with this trans) and the breather t piece on top of the trans snapped. One hose goes to the chassis rail and the other goes to the dipstick tube. We figured just as long as one is going to the dipstick and the other one is blocked off it will be o.k.?

When we started the car the fluid level was spot on even though we drained a tiny bit from the converter during fitting, then after a short drive we checked the fluid level and it poured out of the dipstick everywhere, even after the car was turned off! We removed the cooler lines to remove any possible airlocks with the car running and drained some fluid to the right level but the thing is still spitting out the dipstick when it is opened.

Help, any suggestions because the trans has only been sitting for 3 weeks and wasn't opened b4 going back into my new car. I'm lost and the trans builder says he hasn't seen this b4!

Last edited by chargedvx6; 11-03-2008 at 02:07 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 11-03-2008, 04:27 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was the vent steel or plastic? It could be bent/sealed shut. It needs to vent. The dipstick tube is not enough in this case because it is located much lower than the vent in the case. I would suspect this is your problem. Vince
Old 11-03-2008, 05:13 AM
On The Tree

I'm thinking the vent too. It was the only thing that changed from the last install to this time. We snapped the little plastic T piece that divides to the two vent lines but maybe we bent the steel vent tube coming from the trans.

Just didn't think it was relevant until the trans over heated to purge the hot fluid?

I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks
Old 11-07-2008, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

Well it turns out that the t piece was snapped by the tranny guy and he put some sealer and ran it as an L piece. Apparently this wasn't enough flow for the vent.

I replaced the breather T and all's well.

Quick Reply: Trans dipstick has fluid spurting out?