Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E FMV Transgo-3 with Aftermarket hard parts - Help Please-

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

TG has you install a cotter pin in the low band apply orifice in the seperator plate, this will slow down band apply and prevent as harsh of an apply.

Be sure it is there.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
TG has you install a cotter pin in the low band apply orifice in the seperator plate, this will slow down band apply and prevent as harsh of an apply.

Be sure it is there.
Tricks of the trade hey

can't wait to rip this box apart.

Once again thanks !
Old 11-25-2008, 09:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume jim built it but no idea about your probs. Mightymouse just took his 4l80e into the 8s that jim built and i have beat on mine for AWHILE....get it apart and then go from there. mistakes do happen.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:06 AM
On The Tree

That's cool,

I have full confidence in the shop that built it and I am sure it will turn out to be something simple.

I am sure if the auto was in the US it would of been fixed quick and easy by now.

It's a bit hard to diagnose the problem from the other side of the world.

It will get striped tomorrow and hopefully between my local shop and the US shop, the problem will be found.

The reason i started this thread was to get all great minds together , and find people that may have experienced the same problems.

Transgo stick shift 4L80E's don't exist down here and everyone's guide and input will help speed up the process of elimination.

Once again thanks everyone!
Old 11-28-2008, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone have a copy of the 4L80E stick shift instructions that can email to me please?

The faxed copy i have is not very readable.

cheers
Old 12-01-2008, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Hi stelth , you must be pissed . All the money you spent in the US on upgrading your 4l80e and now the thing does not work . In the end it will get resolved at someones expence. I would like to say that

you have many issues that when i built my 4l80e i had to address. firstly with the ck performance parts , the 36 element sprag was very tight we had to machine to spin easier. A problem i found was the lubrication to this sprag was leaking where the pressed ck mod to the drum is installed. When i applied air to the lube holes and sealed 3of them most of the air was not coming out of the lube hole . I had to dismantle the unit and use special adesive to seal . Once i did this it solved its issues . The billet 300 m shafts are not to oem specs and need to be machined , other wise they will rubb , which is another problem you have. I have spoken to many transmission builders on this forum and many other us trans builder before i built my 4l80e and i say the most helpful guys hands down would be FINISH LINE TRANSMISSIONS and rossler . To me they seemed to have time to talk to you and explain . One thing i hate is when a business goes out of their way to make a sale and asks for your credit card details, they now have your money . If you are dealing with honest people the goods you purchased should be all there but with some people when your goods arive there not . but luky i have gold they reimbursed me the money.I would have to say that ck performance has spent the time in producing a better product but maybee the parts he sends over seas he should spend a bit more time in product quality. possibly the larger performance shops in the usa recieve beter quality .

Last edited by hawkls7; 12-01-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did find the problem?

Did you get a copy of the instructions? I have a PDF if you still need it.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by twinturbo496
Did find the problem?

Did you get a copy of the instructions? I have a PDF if you still need it.
I would love a copy ,

P.M sent

Thanks
Old 12-24-2008, 05:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hawkls7

firstly with the ck performance parts , the 36 element sprag was very tight we had to machine to spin easier. A problem i found was the lubrication to this sprag was leaking where the pressed ck mod to the drum is installed. When i applied air to the lube holes and sealed 3of them most of the air was not coming out of the lube hole . I had to dismantle the unit and use special adesive to seal . Once i did this it solved its issues . The billet 300 m shafts are not to oem specs and need to be machined , other wise they will rubb , which is another problem you have.
I haven't had that issue with the CK drum or shafts.
The sprag is supposed to be tight, if you don't understand what strut angles are on the sprag, you don't need to be machining the parts. The sprag will be lubed by default because the retainer will keep the lube on the sprag from the side.

I'm also pretty sure CK would have taken care of you if there was a real problem with the part and not a perceived one.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Stelth,

I emailed you the instructions. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Stelth,

I emailed you the instructions. Good luck.
Thank you very much,

I tried to email you back to thank you, but it kept on bouncing back.

I will keep you posted.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:24 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a couple issues using the super sprag drum as well. I felt the outer race was to tight to the drum and the retainer. I actually machined a couple races down a bit so it would not create metal. More than one I had was very hard to turn and just was not right. I have never seen a factory sprag in any trans turn as hard as those drums do. Not even the 4T80e that sprag comes from. Also the retainer in some of the drums we had to grind down the welds because they would come in contact with the spring retainer for the intermediate clutch. We have since switched back to the Coan drum and it is a very nice piece. More money but the quality in my opinion is worth it. No machining required other than making a pressure plate. I have used some CK products and they have been fine but others needed modifications to fit properly. I think these custom pieces need to be test fitted before they are shipped out to the customer. Nothing worse then products that potentially can cause a problem or do not even spline together. Sorry but these are the facts I was forced to deal with. Quality control is something I consider very critical. Good luck. Vince
Old 12-27-2008, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
pressure plate. I have used some CK products and they have been fine but others needed modifications to fit properly. I think these custom pieces need to be test fitted before they are shipped out to the customer. Nothing worse then products that potentially can cause a problem or do not even spline together. Sorry but these are the facts I was forced to deal with. Quality control is something I consider very critical. Good luck. Vince
Thank you very much Vince for your honest opinion and also for your help behind the scenes.

I know that you have also helped others like hawkls7 with similar problems as me.

I wish i had bumped into a thread like this one, in my countless hours of research before i had outlaid the cash.

I hope this information will help others in the future, as you can never have

"enough real world facts" on these types of forums.

keep up the good work !
Old 12-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Air will always leak out faster than oil when performing a leak test.There is 0 thrust between the race and the washer ,so there is little concern there as long as an oil film exists between rotating components.I am using the original inner and outer 4t80e races on my drum with a .005 press fit so the dimensions generated are from gm ,not meI have only had 1 of those sprags fail on us out of about 400 we have sold or used in transmissions.As for the retainer hitting the int spring pack that was fixed a long time ago.The th400 retainer on the 400 center support never hit ,but the stamped type on the 4l80e would deform and flex causing it to rub.If you put a new retainer it woulndt hit ,but no one including me ever does.There are 0 problems with the new sprag retainer.Obviously this failure experienced is not related to a defective drum.I will always look over items and peoples scrutiny to try to improve them

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 12-27-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by performabuilt
We use CK parts often and have never had any issues with any of them, All have been excellent pieces.
I've had the same experience, having built hundreds of units using CK parts.
I've mostly used the 200-4R forward drums, input shafts and other pieces.

The ONLY issue I've ever had was with a billet servo on his first production run. Even with the longest apply pin it was still too short and I had too much servo travel. It wasn't noticeable usimg my normal servo travel check, but was obvious in the car.

I've also used the TH400/4L80E super drums. I got an early one also and Chris told me to check the welds on the retainer for clearance. No problems with that. It is still working excellent in a TH400 behind a 540 BBC in a '67 A-body. I talked to the customer about a month ago and that trans has been in service for 3 or 4 yrs now.

The trans problem in this post sounds like hydraulic issues. The vibration could be anything, but I would look at the converter first. Simply because there is nothing spinning inside the trans but the input shaft and OD section in neutral. A converter is heavier and more likely to be noticeably out of balance than a trans internal.

I have also used many Coan products with good results (mostly valve bodies).
Old 01-06-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Any updates on this issue?

Any new info on this?

I have a 94 P chassis model with the same transgo modifications, the TH400 came out of my car last night, and the 4L80E will go in tomorrow evening if my modified converter is finished.

I am paying $225 to have a 4.3L converter modified, supposedly it will increase stall speed about 700-800 rpm (to around 2900 rpm) with a new lockup clutch. By this weekend I should know how well it works behind a 496 BBC with a blower.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 AM
Launching!

Talking

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I had a couple issues using the super sprag drum as well. I felt the outer race was to tight to the drum and the retainer. I actually machined a couple races down a bit so it would not create metal. More than one I had was very hard to turn and just was not right. I have never seen a factory sprag in any trans turn as hard as those drums do. Not even the 4T80e that sprag comes from. Also the retainer in some of the drums we had to grind down the welds because they would come in contact with the spring retainer for the intermediate clutch. We have since switched back to the Coan drum and it is a very nice piece. More money but the quality in my opinion is worth it. No machining required other than making a pressure plate. I have used some CK products and they have been fine but others needed modifications to fit properly. I think these custom pieces need to be test fitted before they are shipped out to the customer. Nothing worse then products that potentially can cause a problem or do not even spline together. Sorry but these are the facts I was forced to deal with. Quality control is something I consider very critical. Good luck. Vince
Vince you have once again explained some defects . I always wondered where the sprag comes from. im not nocking chrises product if the quality is there, I respect people that sacrafice there time in developing better products and that i give him . he needs to know our feed back even if im on the other side of the world
Old 08-26-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

4L80E problem resolved, or???
Old 10-10-2009, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

4L80E problem resolved, or???
All the hard parts mentioned above got thrown in the bin!
Old 10-10-2009, 11:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry u had all those probs. I have made 57 passes on Jims tranny since you made your first post about this

Quick Reply: 4L80E FMV Transgo-3 with Aftermarket hard parts - Help Please-