Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004R Governor, full throttle upshift RPM

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
It's going to be hard to get the correct geometry with it hooked to the gas pedal. Having the correct geometry will make or break the life of the tranny. Here is a link with some drawings that you can look at.
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...o/700R4p1.html
That purplesagetradingpost site has some really good info! Thanks for sharing, *LS1MCSS* I had never run across it before. I'm gonn'a write it down somewhere and save it. Ron
Old 12-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.ckperformance.com/resourc...4RCATALOG.html
Old 12-15-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the link *chris718*. I had already found your web-site and I will get back to you. I had already sent *jakeshoe* a pm explaining that I'm not quite ready to do this yet, but I am trying to get some preliminary info so I will know who to turn to when I'm ready. Now I've got a question. Hopefully it's not too dumb to deserve an answer. *jakeshoe* mentioned a paint "code" on, I guess, the valve body itself?, or is it on the trans somewhere? If you read the post I was wondering if I might have the correct valve body already and just need a different or a modified governor. I would think Bowtie would have used a GN or 442 or Monte SS VB in a Level 3 trans. Is there a serial # on the VB or trans that would tell?? Thanks! Ron
Old 12-15-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

The paint code is on the VB, it is unlikely that BTO can just use a GN or MCSS valve body on every level 3 they sell, those valve bodies go for about $400-600 each and they aren't commonly available.

Not only that, but I know where BTO gets most of their cores from and I get first pick over them because I'm local
Old 12-15-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
The paint code is on the VB, it is unlikely that BTO can just use a GN or MCSS valve body on every level 3 they sell, those valve bodies go for about $400-600 each and they aren't commonly available.

Not only that, but I know where BTO gets most of their cores from and I get first pick over them because I'm local
Lucky You!! That's a heck of an advantage! Is there a certain color to distinguish or ?? Would a valve body out of a 442 be the same?? I have a complete core out of a 442, or at least that's what it's supposed to be. Ron
Old 12-15-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

No,
a Hurst Olds 442 VB would be a KZ code and it's very similar but not the same as the GN or MCSS. Each is slightly different but most result in a 5000-5200 rpm WOT shift with the matching governor.

They can be modded to achieve mid 5K shifts easily but after that you get into some odd part throttle shift issues.

The KC and CR codes are more common and combined with a proper governor and mods they seem to be the best way to achieve 5800-6000 rpm WOT upshifts.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
No,
a Hurst Olds 442 VB would be a KZ code and it's very similar but not the same as the GN or MCSS. Each is slightly different but most result in a 5000-5200 rpm WOT shift with the matching governor.

They can be modded to achieve mid 5K shifts easily but after that you get into some odd part throttle shift issues.

The KC and CR codes are more common and combined with a proper governor and mods they seem to be the best way to achieve 5800-6000 rpm WOT upshifts.
Thanks again *jakeshoe*. Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet if I want that high upshift, LOL. Story of my life. Ron
Old 12-18-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the same problem in my carbed 6.0 combo. My car upsifts to early at the track, We my try the governor weight adjustment thing first. But I'm inclined to just try to find a GN or Monte VB and gov.. I don't have first hand experience but have heard that if you do that your regular up and down shift can get messed up. (weight adjustment)
I hate to spend that much on a VB . Sometimes hotrodding kinda sucks.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bluethunder364
I have the same problem in my carbed 6.0 combo. My car upsifts to early at the track, We my try the governor weight adjustment thing first. But I'm inclined to just try to find a GN or Monte VB and gov.. I don't have first hand experience but have heard that if you do that your regular up and down shift can get messed up. (weight adjustment)
I hate to spend that much on a VB . Sometimes hotrodding kinda sucks.
Amen, to that, dollar-wise anyway! As you can tell by my posts, I don't know much about 2004R's, but in your case I would think a good shift kit (Transgo?) that allows normal auto in drive and manual shifting combined with a good positive (rachet?) shifter would solve your problem. In my case, the tight confines of a '34 coupe (I'm a big dude) plus the fact I have a Disability which precludes the use of a floor shifter, all limits me to a column shifter. Over 500HP in a 3100LB with driver car means that the chance of over shifting into wrong gear or, worse yet, neutral, is not a good thing!! I've found it takes most of my attention just to keep it pointed straight! Anyway it was just a thought for your consideration. Were'nt you the one that had the thread about a problem with an MSD 6010? I kept following that, but I somehow missed the conclusion. ??? Ron
Old 12-19-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ron, You are right, that was me. I had to send the unit back to them (MSD). Because I have a 24X reluctor they told me it needed to be recaled. It worked fine when I got it back. I have put the car away for the winter months so I really did not have a chance to drive it this summer. On the other subject I have a fully built 200R4 that has all CK Performance components. I just did not have the extra $$$$ at the time to do the Grand National valve body. I had a SBC 350 in the car before I switched to the LQ-4. So I know my tranny shifts way to early. I plan to change it out before I take it to the track next spring. This is not a full time race car, but I want it to work correct when I decide to jump on it.

Last edited by bluethunder364; 05-07-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Great looking car *bluethunder*. It does'nt look like it packs too many extra LB.'s either. Glad to hear you got the MSD sorted out. I, like you, am trying to get everything ready for spring. I'm up to my eyeballs trying to put shoulder harness and enough other safety gear in my coupe so they will at least let me run on "test and tune" night. Got'ta get this trans deal figured out also. Later! Ron
Old 12-20-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the comments. It should be a handful at the track. My old combo with a mild 350 SBC ran a 12.0 flat @113. I plan to tune it with the dyno (roller) in the spring, but I'm pretty sure it will make alot more HP than before. I contacted CK Performance on Fri and they have a valve body-governor combo that will get me up to 6,000rpm shifts. Last year with the old set-up it was shifting at around 5200. I have a few more small issues to address and then it should be road worthy. Send me some pics of your car.
Thanks....Chris
Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 PM
acr
Teching In

Jake or Others, Exactly where are the governor codes located & what color or other ID should we be looking for?
Thanks.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

It's not a governor code, it's a calibration code. It will be on the tag of the trans case, right rear if it's still there and the transmission hasn't been altered, or it will be a painted code in yellow, pink, or white, on the VB near the manual valve on the side.

Quick Reply: 2004R Governor, full throttle upshift RPM