Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manually shifted 4l80e ross-lock shift controller??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manually shifted 4l80e ross-lock shift controller??

I am looking to put an 4l80e in my car and i want to have it manualy shifted. I was looking on the rossler website and they have something called a roos-lock shift controller. has anyone had any experience with this? Are there any other inexpensive options? Im not too familiar with the newer electronically controlled transmissions so any advice would help. Thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 07:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trans go HD-3 will give you manual shifting. No way to get a brake once you've put the HD-3 in though as far as I know.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChevyinaFord
I am looking to put an 4l80e in my car and i want to have it manualy shifted. I was looking on the rossler website and they have something called a roos-lock shift controller. has anyone had any experience with this? Are there any other inexpensive options? Im not too familiar with the newer electronically controlled transmissions so any advice would help. Thanks
I almost tried his MVB/t-brake combo. This set up is kind of new, but I think Karl is a sharp guy and an honest one. He wouldn't be selling the thing if it didn't work well. I say go ahead and give it a try if that's how you want to run it.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From the description on his web site, the trans is built the same as if you were running all the electronics, except for a new pressure valve and some return springs. I assume the controller holds the solenoids open?? So in theory, you could swap over to automatic operation if you didn't like it. I wish it would have been available when I was building mine. The best part is you can use his tbrake. I'll be swapping to that set up after the 1st.

I've heard transgo is working on a brake set up that is compatable with their manual kit as well, but I don't know for sure.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Firechikn
From the description on his web site, the trans is built the same as if you were running all the electronics, except for a new pressure valve and some return springs. I assume the controller holds the solenoids open?? So in theory, you could swap over to automatic operation if you didn't like it. I wish it would have been available when I was building mine. The best part is you can use his tbrake. I'll be swapping to that set up after the 1st.
I would say that is correct. When I spoke with them about controlling one of their trans and they said I could go manual and set up a controller later on.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Turbo Addict

I have a FMVB 4L80e built by Jim at transformance via hd-3. And yes you are correct no transbrake with this. He did say I could buy the rossler kit which includes some internal springs and stuff mentioned (I already have those), a deeper pan, transbrake, stock valvebody with shift kit and this magical box. So I can manually shift the trans with the box and have tbrake; when I get Bs3 or the like and let it shift the trans, simply remove the box and it's all good to go.

Once I get the car on the road again, I plan on getting this kit...said I could install it myself with the trans in the car.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Yep, I have 98 and this will be the key for me to making it shift with out a standalone or bs3. The cool part is you just unplug it and you are back to stock.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was wondering about what the Rossler tbrake included as far as valve body goes. I couldn't tell if it replaced the whole valve body or not. I guess I'll have to buy a new stock valve body to make it work. I'm almost tempted to install the wiring and go fully auto, but that would be one boring car to race.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

What tells the tranny the gear it should be in with the 4l80e ross-lock shift controller? Im sure the shifter its self gets things going, but is there anything else?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

From what I gather it is a small box that plugs in to the transmission almost like some sort of standalone that allows you to shift manually without having to tear appart the valve body.I think there is a kit for transbreak too. I think its all FMV. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Any feedback from people that have used it?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

There is a way to make the TransGo-3 kit work with a transbrake.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
There is a way to make the TransGo-3 kit work with a transbrake.

hey mate, how's it going?

the question for me down under is, how to make the transgo-3 kit work in general.

I gave up on my box that was built in the US and started again with a local shop here in Australia.

i was actually asking in this thread about the Rossler electronic device that makes the 4l80e manual with a standard VB.

Things like how quick does it shift once the shifter is moved and what happens when you gear down, does it have engine breaking?

I just want a manualized 4L80E and there must be a big reason why all the big Trans shops in the US don't have a proper manual VB for this box.

cheers
Old 04-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Teching In

TCI has a 4L80-E brake that retains lock-up and utilizes the overrun clutches in 1,2 and 3rd gears to take the load off of the overrun roller clutch assembly. No deep pan needed. It's available for early and late models.

Last edited by rsm425; 04-02-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Any info on the original thread title about the rossler controller ?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

I haven't had issue with the TransGo-3 kit.
It works fine.
There might be some slight delay between manual shift time and actual shift at the planets due to the fact that TransGo kit still uses the shift valves in the VB, and they must move to actuate the shift. Whereas in comparison to a reverse manual VB on a TH400 there aren't any shift valves that need to move.

TCI has the manual VB as well as CKPerformance.

I haven't used the Ross-Lock so no comments. I'll be using a Rossler 4L80E transbrake in the near future on an automatic setup and am using a CKPerformance transbrake to replace the failed Trinity setup.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
I haven't had issue with the TransGo-3 kit.
It works fine.
There might be some slight delay between manual shift time and actual shift at the planets due to the fact that TransGo kit still uses the shift valves in the VB, and they must move to actuate the shift. Whereas in comparison to a reverse manual VB on a TH400 there aren't any shift valves that need to move.

TCI has the manual VB as well as CKPerformance.

I haven't used the Ross-Lock so no comments. I'll be using a Rossler 4L80E transbrake in the near future on an automatic setup and am using a CKPerformance transbrake to replace the failed Trinity setup.
Ok so after trying to get the Transgo-3 to work my only other choices is TCI or CK.

I wonder why Rossler and a few other big name shops don't have a mechanical manual VB ?

It must mean something?

cheers
Old 04-03-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the TransGo MVB in mine and it works fine, It has a small delay from 2nd. to 3rd, at cruse but a WOT it shift prefect and hard. I talk to TransGo the other day and they said they drop the trans brake ,because there was no demand for it.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
I have the TransGo MVB in mine and it works fine, It has a small delay from 2nd. to 3rd, at cruse but a WOT it shift prefect and hard. I talk to TransGo the other day and they said they drop the trans brake ,because there was no demand for it.
Ok

Sell me your VB !

Name your price, go as high as you like.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im very temped to do that. But im very happy with it, sense i built the tranny and valve body

Quick Reply: Manually shifted 4l80e ross-lock shift controller??