Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KEVS98LS1
What size cooler is everybody running and what brand.Does it depend on what size converter you have?
Any stall over 3k will need a decent size and reliably known cooler such as the venerable B&M Super Cooler. Its cheap, it works.

As for me I always go overkill, therefore my set-up:

Derale Atomic Cool (P/N 13950) w/ auto 400 CFM fan (180' on, 170' off) running through -6AN steel braided lines and paired with a Derale deep steel cooling tube pan (P/N 14104).
Old 03-02-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

question..would it be a good idea to bypass the stock cooler.. i live in florida. i dont drive it alot ( maybe once a week) and im goin with a pt4000 converter? any help would be great thanx o and are yall using the lines that come in the kit or buying new higher quality lines..i herd something about the lines that come with the b&m coolers leaking? thanx
Old 03-02-2009, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to run through the radiator until I upgraded my lines to -6AN braided steel. There is 2 ways of thinking:

-Stock cooler + cooler = Keeping the fluid from getting "too cold" by routing through the cooler first, then through the radiator to bring the temp back up.

-Cooler only = Easier to route, keeps the fluid from heating back up inside the radiator in high temp. areas like FL, TX, AZ..etc...

With a 4k stall and living in FL I doubt the fluid will ever get "too cold". I dont have a B&M but Im pretty sure it just comes with high pressure 3/8'' fuel line like all the others. As far as leaking it could be from the NPT fittings. My Derale cooler uses -6AN, and AN fittings are flared aluminum fittings the you can almost spin all the way tight by hand. Just a small touch with a wrench synches them up air tight. Unless your going to do braided line then dont worry about it because you'll just be hose clamping the fuel line on the end of the fitting anyway. This is probably where most leaks come from.

AN fittings + AN hose ends > Fuel line + hose clamps
Old 03-02-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine has a fan and kicks on at 180,also TCI deep pan
Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

well my old car had it like this. stock cooler then the b&m then to the trans.. i had a pt4400 with 3.73s and a deep pan and i only seen it over 180 once and that was driving and beatin on it for over an hour during the summer..i think ill try it like my old car first then if it gets too hot too fast then ill just bypass the stock cooler..thanx