Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Formula Bird Tranny Wisdom Sought

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 01 Formula Bird Tranny Wisdom Sought *FIXED*

All,

I posted a similar question but it should be in THIS Forum vs the 67-02 Firebird forum.

01 Formula Firebird, 85K Miles. Transmission rebuilt about 1 month ago (Before I bought the car), new VSS, fluid is nice and full. I spoke to the tranny shop that did the job and the 1st thing they did was replace the VSS, however, they did say they ran 2 new wires from the VSS to the ECM/PCM but did NOT remove the old wires..Hmm..then rebuilt the tranny. My thinking is a wire/ground SOMEWHERE in the original VSS wiring line or at the 80-pin connector to the ECM/PCM?? The tech stated that this same problem below happened to them as well and it seemed when some stress is placed on the engine/trans it seems to repeat the issue. I am taking it back to them next week (They said no charge) to troubleshoot. Here is the current diagnosis:

When engine/trans is COLD - Put into drive and it does NOT want to get above 2nd gear and the speedo is jumping around or just stays at 0, this happens until the engine reaches normal operating temp.

Start the car and let it warm up to normal operating temp - Seems to drive/shift just fine. I went on a 90 mile round trip yesterday (80% Interstate) no issues UNTIL I stopped for a bite and when I pulled out had to open her up a bit to accelerate into traffic then it did the same thing..did not want to go above 2nd gear/speedo jumping. Then I let off the accelerator..let it coast some then gently hit the gas..she did just fine the next 10 miles to the house.

Also..when she is cruising I get a fairly high pitched "whine"/Noise seems to come from the rear at around 55-65..only when constant accelerating..I let off the gas at the same speed, noise goes away. After I hit 70+ the noise is barely noticeable.

Another tech has also suggested that it might be the B-Shift solenoid?

Your extensive wisdom and advice or just plain old .02 is appreciated

Last edited by SteelStroke; 01-12-2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Fixed!
Old 12-30-2008, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well I would say the center os the issue is the VSS without a proper signal from it the trans will not be told to shift correctly, This would be the most important thing to tackel first . with the cool temp not working and warm workig Iwould be looking at connector ends

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-03-2009, 03:19 AM

Bump TTT for any other suggestion/insights.

I got to get this fixed B4 I think of a WS6 Hood..a new exhaust..other toys..
Old 01-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I would go after the wiring for OS issue. They can break inside the insulation and cause an intermittent loss of signal. I doubt the noise you are hearing is soleniod b, since it is not even on in third and 4th gear.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 PM

Default Fixed..So Simple

Just an update..tranny shop took care of it. It was a wiring issue. They admitted that when they ran a new circuit from the VSS to the PCM, they should have removed the old circuit, which was causing the problem.

Thanks to the Tranny sponsers who responded.

Now it's on to greater things!

Ram Air Hood
Fast Toys FRAMOD
Texas Speed Rumbler Cat Back exhaust
New Paint Job (I like Black!)
Kee Audio Speaker Replacement and Head Unit
Fix the leaking Pinion Seal and maybe new rear end gears?

Other toys as my Air Force Retirement Pay allows..