Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E vacuum modulator kit question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4L80E vacuum modulator kit question.

Here is a photo of the parts included in the Transgo kit.

Looked pretty simple, but when I actually tried to install it, the holes wouldn't line up, even when I pushed in firmly on the modulator.

After a little closer inspection I decided to modify one of the parts. Hope it works.

I will post a photo of the modification next.

Feel free to comment. I expect that the change I have made isn't really the right solution, but I did it anyway.
Attached Thumbnails 4L80E vacuum modulator kit question.-4l80e-vacuum-modulator.jpg   4L80E vacuum modulator kit question.-4l80e-vacuum-mod-kit.jpg   4L80E vacuum modulator kit question.-vacuum-modulator.jpg  
Old 01-01-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I found that the bottom of the modulator has a radius that was preventing it from seating flat. The instructions don't say anything about how it is supposed to seat, and the photo in the instructions isn't close enough to tell for sure. The modulator looks like it is just a modified TH400 part with the end cut off. So perhaps this modulator just had a larger radius than normal, preventing the assembly from seating correctly. Anyway, I am not a pro builder, but I decided to radius the transgo part so the modulator would seat the way I think it was supposed to be assembled. Attached are a few photos. I may not have done it correctly, but perhaps this will help any other novice builders.
Attached Thumbnails 4L80E vacuum modulator kit question.-won-t-seat-correctly.jpg   4L80E vacuum modulator kit question.-modified-transgo-part.jpg   4L80E vacuum modulator kit question.-installed-after-modification-.jpg  
Old 01-01-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the kits I have got have done the same thing. Usually they will just tap in and sit flush. What you did shouldnt hurt anything, the modulator is suppose to sit flush with the sleeve. Good write up!!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

im not 100% sure what your saying, i have not installed mine yet, doing a manuel vb setup, but i thought my instrs. said their was a flat spot on the mod, which i assumed was for the plate to sit flush, but the mod has no flat spot-is that the problem your having?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have some more photos, I can send them to you if you like.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At times I have had to tap on the modulator a bit to get it fully seated. In some cases there is a small bur that needs to be removed. Never did it the way you did but it looks like it will work as long as the modulator is tight in the sleeve. Vince

Quick Reply: 4L80E vacuum modulator kit question.