Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60E Rebuild

I've got a 2000 Z28 that the 3-4 clutch pack went out on. I'm still in high school so I'm not looking forward to how much this is gonna cost. My questions are if the car is my daily driver/ weekend racer, what rebuild kit would you recommend I buy? Also I know for sure I'm going to put a shift kit in it. Which kit would be the best for daily driving?

So far I've been told to get:
TransGo Shift kit
Alco Red clutches
Beast shell
29 element sprag

Thanks ahead of time guys!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Go to Performabuilt or FLT and get the whole unit. You don't want to rebuild it yourself, automatics are ridiculously complicated. You will save a lot of $ as well as peace of mind by going with a sponsor now before the tranny grenades and you need to rebuild everything.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

ya they have smokin deals on there trannies
Old 01-19-2009, 05:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree, don't try a rebuild yourself to save money. It is guaranteed to cost more in the long run. I only recommend a DIYer take on an auto because they want to, knowing it will probably cost them more than just buying a unit. Might be able to find a local reputable shop to patch it for you. I would personally save up the money and buy from a sponsor on here.

Chris
Old 01-19-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

^^^^i agree as well.....
Old 01-19-2009, 08:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would agree with all above if you haven't done one or if your trying to save money dont do it yourself get one from us or even another sponsor here .
I have seen the rebuild it yourself plan go wrong more times than not.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

I'm having a local mechanic rebuild it. He stands behind his work, if it breaks again, he'll rebuild it free of cost. I just need to know what to put in it to upgrade it. Clutches, shells, shift kits and stuff. I'm not gonna get 3k to put into a trans yet. I paid 4800 for the car itself. I'm in high school so if i can get away with a reliable rebuild with some upgrades for about 1500 I'm not gonna double it. It's not what I can afford right now
Old 01-19-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not gonna get 3k to put into a trans yet. I paid 4800 for the car itself. I'm in high school so if i can get away with a reliable rebuild with some upgrades for about 1500 I'm not gonna double it.
Double it? unless you are pushing 500+ rwhp, check out some of the deals on here , FLT, APF, and performabuilt have some good deals going on. I just picked up a trans from a sponser for a great deal imo. Just check out some of their deals before you commit to anything.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zed28camaro
I'm having a local mechanic rebuild it. He stands behind his work, if it breaks again, he'll rebuild it free of cost. I just need to know what to put in it to upgrade it. Clutches, shells, shift kits and stuff. I'm not gonna get 3k to put into a trans yet. I paid 4800 for the car itself. I'm in high school so if i can get away with a reliable rebuild with some upgrades for about 1500 I'm not gonna double it. It's not what I can afford right now
I would read up more on automatic transmissions if I were you. Just my 0.02, but you can save yourself a lotta time (and money) by understanding the actual process of a rebuild so you know whats going on.

Props on wanting to tackle it yourself though, but I would rebuild a few THM350s and 700R4s before trying on a 4L60E but again thats just me
Old 01-19-2009, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

I guess I wasn't clear. I am not the one rebuilding it...I'm buying the parts and having a mechanic rebuild it. I just need to know what parts to buy, like the weak points...insurance if you will.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Parts arent very expensive. Any big trans part supplier in your city could probably hvae the parts next day. Save yourself the money and pull it yourself & have someone trustworthy assemble the trans
Old 01-20-2009, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Default Reply

I am sure that if you contacted one of the vendors on this forum,they could recommend and sell you all the parts that are needed for a good rebuild. Make sure that YOUR mechanic has good experience in doing these electronic trans. Good Luck.
Rich
Old 01-20-2009, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

He's a GM mechanic at the dealership I work at. He's one of three that do transmissions in service. He also has like 2 drag cars and does a lot of transmission work on the side
Old 01-20-2009, 01:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

not being rude but if he has built a performance 60e or two he should know what to put in it if he does not hes not qualified to build it. There is a huge difference between stock rebuilds and performance . Like I said not being rude in any way

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-24-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Default Parts for a Rebuild

Just FYI- I am in the process of getting parts together to rebuild my trans in my 99 T/A. I have done everything in my car, and several others, myself. Including transmissions. It sounds like you have a person that can get it done for you. Learn all you can during the rebuild.

Everyone acts like it's a f***ing impossibility to get a rebuild done. It does require several specialty tools, which your dealership should have. It also takes patience and accuracy. Everyone, including the "helpful" sponsors on here are very liberal with YOUR money. To the point that they don't even read your original questions.

It can be, and is done, everywhere and every day in places other than sponsor shops. Take time to search out a good kit and add any other parts you need and get started.

Good luck and keep me posted!!!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Hey man I had the same problem as you. I have had 2 trans rebuilt by 2 different sponsors on here. Neither one of them was ****....... One lasted 200 miles and one lasted 5000 miles. My suggestion to you is On Ebay Search For ARtransmissions. They sell a whole kit for like 250. Thats kollen steels, red eagle alto clutches, bushings, kevlar band... etc.... Get you a vette servo...Or billet servo and ride my friend. For what these vendors charge thats the best way out. I think Circle D offerers a kit for like 900 that looks great as well. I did mine no problems what so ever and been 6.10's at 124 mph on it. I hope this helps man thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I would tend to disagree we are :liberal with your money" Our margins and i am sure any other sponsor would likley say he same are not alot to talk about,
Bear in mind in our case the build list below is close to our level 2 add in that we supply the core and the shipping and that we will buy your core back for 150 if you dont want it and pay shipping on that too, for $1840 I think you will see there not alot saved time you buy the parts and pay someone to build it usually with no warranty or tech support

But since my advice was taken in the wrong light,

You should get the following at min

1- master rebuild kit minus the 3-4 clutch
2-upgraded 3-4 clutch set such as the Zpack or the ALTO POWER PACKS and whats needed to get the clearance in the .020 range.
3-Performance band (Wide is good if you get a perfect reverse input drum or a new one) Dont use a stock band with any thing bigger than a corvette servo!
4-beast sun shell a must
5-5 pinion planets (optional but make sue if you do they are OEM) LEVEL 3 BUILDS GET THESE.
6-Borg warner 29 dual cage sprag (A MUST)
7-Bushing kit (you will need bushing installation kit)
8-shift kit TRANSGO HD2 is a good choice (other kits can be used as we do not use this kit however its a excellent kit if you are not familiar with the hydraulics of the unit.)
9-PCS solenoid (required) other solenoids are optional if there good I would replace if budget allows however.
10-You have a vette servo which is adequate in most instances however you could also look into the billet servos for second and 4th though they are not cheap comparative.We use both the billet 2nd and 4th servo .
11- Sonnax high rev pump spring
12-A pressure gauge to read at least 300 PSI you need to set max line at 225 psi many times after a shift kit its much higher which can cause damage.
13- Be careful on the shift kit keep it moderate, Some people think as hard as you can go is best but while you want firm to hard and you start breaking stuff,

You wont get all this for 250 but with good and careful clean builder you should end up with a decent unit parts wise anyway.

Hope this helps and of note there is a number in my signature for parts. So note I can sell you the parts to do it just was giving friendly advice from watching and seeing peoples experiences

Good Luck with your endeavor

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 01-25-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I would tend to disagree we are :liberal with your money" Our margins and i am sure any other sponsor would likley say he same are not alot to talk about,
Bear in mind in our case the build list below is close to our level 2 add in that we supply the core and the shipping and that we will buy your core back for 150 if you dont want it and pay shipping on that too, for $1840 I think you will see there not alot saved time you buy the parts and pay someone to build it usually with no warranty or tech support

But since my advice was taken in the wrong light,

You should get the following at min

1- master rebuild kit minus the 3-4 clutch
2-upgraded 3-4 clutch set such as the Zpack or the ALTO POWER PACKS and whats needed to get the clearance in the .020 range.
3-Performance band (Wide is good if you get a perfect reverse input drum or a new one) Dont use a stock band with any thing bigger than a corvette servo!
4-beast sun shell a must
5-5 pinion planets (optional but make sue if you do they are OEM) LEVEL 3 BUILDS GET THESE.
6-Borg warner 29 dual cage sprag (A MUST)
7-Bushing kit (you will need bushing installation kit)
8-shift kit TRANSGO HD2 is a good choice (other kits can be used as we do not use this kit however its a excellent kit if you are not familiar with the hydraulics of the unit.)
9-PCS solenoid (required) other solenoids are optional if there good I would replace if budget allows however.
10-You have a vette servo which is adequate in most instances however you could also look into the billet servos for second and 4th though they are not cheap comparative.We use both the billet 2nd and 4th servo .
11- Sonnax high rev pump spring
12-A pressure gauge to read at least 300 PSI you need to set max line at 225 psi many times after a shift kit its much higher which can cause damage.
13- Be careful on the shift kit keep it moderate, Some people think as hard as you can go is best but while you want firm to hard and you start breaking stuff,

You wont get all this for 250 but with good and careful clean builder you should end up with a decent unit parts wise anyway.

Hope this helps and of note there is a number in my signature for parts. So note I can sell you the parts to do it just was giving friendly advice from watching and seeing peoples experiences

Good Luck with your endeavor
Yes, many sponsors on here DO totally disregard the original questions that people present. Generally, people make their financial position very clear prior to presenting their needs for input.

More often than not sponsors cruise the threads and tell people it's "too difficult", "not recommended" or basically "you'll **** it up so just buy our stuff and your dreams will come true".

It appears that it's just easier for sponsors to throw a link to their products than take the time to post actual assistance. Transmissions, diffs and tuning are the most common to get "don't try it, just buy it" advice.
Yeah, you posted input................... After the fact. $2000-$3000 transmissions are incredible but the vast majority can't justify it or even really need it.

Sorry, it true. Oh yeah, questions on nitrous controllers get the same replies. Read some of your own posts and you'll see it. Bob at EPP is the king of it.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Last post is exactly rite!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 05:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thats ok I am very sure you will find many 100s of people on here and post I have made where it was just help and I sold or gained nothing.
I give people advice based on both my own experience and from watching others.
Theres a whole section in the stickys up there of things to help people with there transmissions etc that I made.
And I have spent hours and hours helping people who have tried to build there own and had issue trying to help them solve the issue. So I would disagree . I spend a very large amount of tim helping people who have never bought a thing from us,
But I do give IMO what I think is the best advice first.

Call 888-744-6542