Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A4 Question

I've been wondering if it would make normal driving easier with A4 as opposed at an M6. First, I commonly give insufficient gas starting off on a grade in 1st and when the clutch engages, the engine grumbles a bit because of the extra load on the same amount of throttle that would otherwise work for flat ground. This constant back and forth in throttle adjustments escapes my attention at times. And then there's the very engagement of the clutch. I sometimes lose concentration and engage the clutch a little to fast, thus causing that same brief engine grumble, and sometimes I engage a little too slow, causing extra heat/wear on the clutch. The second comparison point is that with the M6, you don't have the maintain the trans fluid as often. But I've heard that automatics from GM happen to be among the best for longevity.

I'm still a bit of a newbie with cars, so I'm looking for a general comparison in pros/cons of both options. Is it true that with an A4, you can never lug the engine?

Last edited by Crimsonnaire; 02-02-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Well certainly the "A4" is and easier drive and no you wont lug the engine, Autos as really super driver freindly in that all you do is start the car put it in drive and give the gas, Nothing really to think about at all .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

And from what some have said, it's also drag race friendly in that you never miss a shift.

I have been told that an automatic is harder to work on. How much more expensive is it to rebuilt an A4 vs the M6?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Is it possible to swap a manual with an automatic in its place...?
Old 02-03-2009, 01:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

in truth and auto is no more expensive than a manual to rebuild and unlike a manual does not require changing the clutch so often . Everyone thinks a manual is stronger and well maybe a little but and auto is faster, Where a auto may have to be refreshed once in a while inexpensivley a manual in HIGH POWER needs a 1200 dollar clutch every so often so when it comes down to it IMO and auto is cheaper and faster

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-03-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Junkie

So, the other half of that answer is you can rebuild the manual yourself. No way on a 4L60e. Don't even try. Send it to the pros, they do it for a living and have all the tools and expertise.
And yes, the swap happens all the time. Most go M6 to A4 for all the obvious reasons, but you might luck out and find someone who wants to go the other way. Then you just exchange parts.
A4 here, got tired of rowing the boat.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

Cool! I'll think about it if the opportunity is available.

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
A4 here, got tired of rowing the boat.
LOL But how long does the torque converter last before it needs an overhaul?