Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F**K prothane tranny mounts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if this was true then why did adding poly mounts into my 97 ta and 99 ta m6 cars instantly give me terrible vibration and noise and both cars had near zero miles on them and had zero vibrations to 160mph pre polly trans mount or make that noticeable vibration and noise. It made those cars feel and sound like a Russian tractor!

I switched back to stock and smooth and quiet as stock again.

So will stock mounts break as much on an auto trans especially if the torque arm is moved off the trans? And is prothane any quieter than energy suspension. I and tried all that grind the humps ,tried washers and left off the metal plate on the mount trying to get the car quiet. It was horrible.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Well if this was true then why did adding poly mounts into my 97 ta and 99 ta m6 cars instantly give me terrible vibration and noise and both cars had near zero miles on them and had zero vibrations to 160mph pre polly trans mount or make that noticeable vibration and noise. It made those cars feel and sound like a Russian tractor!
Mounts alone do not cause vibration. They are isolators.

Now, could it be possible that the poly mount changed your geometry a tad... Did you check all your angles?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:41 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6

I switched back to stock and smooth and quiet as stock again.

So will stock mounts break as much on an auto trans especially if the torque arm is moved off the trans? And is prothane any quieter than energy suspension. I and tried all that grind the humps ,tried washers and left off the metal plate on the mount trying to get the car quiet. It was horrible.
Some cars just have vibrations in the drivetrain. You won't feel it with rubber mounts because they are so pliable they isolate the vibrations from your body...

As posted above, the only way a solid or polyurethane mount can cause vibration is if they are different dimensions from the stock part. Anything that alters driveline geometry can induce a vibration. Now that being said, I've installed literally hundreds of these and from time to time, I get a car that vibrates unbearably. There is no easy fix. Sometimes you just have to go back to stock.

Shane
Old 06-22-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had some energy suspension stuff in my attic for a long time and finally put them in when I changed my clutch. I did both the torque arm mount and trans mount (already had engine mounts). Engine mounts were the greatest relief ever from the banging Y pipe... holy crap... but the install was worse than any camshaft or ring/pinion gear change, damn.

The rear end has been junk for some time in my car and I've just been puting off replacing it. After the trans/torque arm mounts I can say that I will definitely be replacing the rear end. Am I mad at the mounts? No. More shocked at how terrible the situation was with the rear end.

Now, if after a midwest rear end - rebuilt t56 - and monster clutch - I still get vibrations and noise, then I'll put a rubber trans mount back in. I hope I don't need to though because I enjoy how firm everything is.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somebody needs to make the urethane engine mounts the same way the oems are made with the through bolt resting against urethane instead of metal.

I didn't feel any driveline vibration issues but my engine doesn't smooth out until 2000 rpms and I could definitely feel the engine through my steering wheel. I didn't care for that. It felt like I was driving a gokart.

I put new oem engine mounts back in and now the Y pipe bangs against the floor.

I wish we had something in between the current extremes for engine mounts that would give better engine stability but still insulate a bit.

Last edited by kenp; 08-28-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ or just get a Y pipe with a little more clearance, or the BFH mod to your current y pipe.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
^^^ or just get a Y pipe with a little more clearance, or the BFH mod to your current y pipe.
I've got plenty of clearance, the new 383 moves around a lot more than the original LS1, even on brand new oem mounts.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

I've had both the Energy suspension and the Prothane even after having my driveline balanced at Inland Driveline I still ended up going with the $18 mount from Carquest-it has lasted longer than the original factory issue, and almost no vibration.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Energy Suspension just released a new part for LS1 F-bodies. Nobody has it in stock yet, but it is 3.1151 (G for Black and R for Red). The guy I spoke with said the durometer of their insert is 70 and the Prothanes are 88.

I guess I'll try the Energy Suspension if the price is comparable to their other stuff.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Veteran

I still think moving the torque arm off the trans and use stock mount should work fine.I am pretty sure its the torque on the trans that breaks the mounts obviously and their can't be really torque on the trans with the torque arm moved off it.
Its a theory anyway.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Veteran

I got my car running with new 4l80 and have some big issues problems like orginal poster said past 60 mph it gets horrible. I put in new prothane trans mount.

I am going to go back to stock one and see how it helps. As said have had zero luck in the past in my 96 and 97 and 99 cars. Everytime the poly mounts were horrible even after modding the energy one.no spacer,shave the humps..etc.

I do also now have torque arm on trans crossmember. I had spohn tunnel mount but it was terrible for clearance so sold it.

I do have some potential other issues in my car to check..but still think going to stock mount will solve 95% of my vibration/noise issues. Currently my car is undriveable to me past 60mph.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ever since I installed my yank converter with the poly trans mount, Ive had vibration issues. You can feel it when you rev the engine in park. On the highway, It makes kind of a rythmic vibration with diffrent speeds, and you can see the passenger seat vibrating. Its really annoying.

So, recently I installed a ford 9", new DS, T.arm, Tranny bracket T.arm relocation kit, & STILL have the same vibration. Next time I go to the shop I will have them put the factory mount back and see what happends.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I to have had a bad exp with energy trans mounts. I spent days trying to find the cause of the vibrations. and once I switched to the stock mount, I could see out of my mirrors again and my car did not feel like a jackhammer going down the highway! I had a broked tails shaft so I now run a tunnel mounted TQ arm and a stock mount and the ride is 98% like stock
Old 02-27-2010, 10:43 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ws666
Like the title says WOW they really REALLY suck! (cant stress that enough!)

For the last year now I've been trying to trace vibrations/ changing pinion angles/ having my driveshaft balanced, even bought a second driveshaft! / replaced U-joint's/ replaced convertor (well that one just wanted to go bigger) but it didnt help with the vibes! And have been to the transmission shop numerous times trying to get them to figure it out. Not to mention the hours I've spent under the car myself ... and finally FINALLY! thanks to advice off LS1Tech just switched back to a stock rubber mount I picked up at napa for $21 ******* dollars and that just fixed 95% of my vibrations!

Holly **** are you kidding me!? I'm so happy right now I can drive on the freeway again, and at the same time SOOO pissed at prothane and the jackass who designed their poly trans mount I wish I could kick him square in the nuts so ******* hard for all the money and headach that mount has caused me!
Anyone with an automatic who is thinking of using prothane or any poly trans mount for that matter DONT DO IT! Its not worth it I'd much rather have to replace a torn rubber mount occasionally than ever go back to poly!

And btw the napa mount i got is only listed for 94-97 firebirds but it works great on LS1's trust me! End Rant! I think I'm going to go for a drive and actually enjoy it for the first time in forever... THANK YOU LS1tech!!!
I have the Energy variant. I do not know if it is the same, but you have to leave the preload plate off. It chages the drive angle too much. Also grind a little off the preload bumps on the back. This gets rid of most of the vibration.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I put the stock trans mount back in and my ride has improved drastically. It no longer has the feel of a trailer full of aluminum ladders hitting a series of speedbumps at 30mph.

Now, my poly engine mounts are still worth their weight in gold. No banging exhausts here. Poly trans mount could be the best way to make your car ride like you've got tires crudely carved out of stone.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:59 AM
On The Tree

Right on wes glad to see you figured it out...I have two poly trans mounts here at my house lol...I didnt notice anything on my 5spd when i changed mine but have to see when teh auto is done if i like it!! Hit me up bro lets go have a beer or something
Old 03-09-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK so I put the factory mount back & it took away most of the vibrations. The rest i think is comming from the T. arm but I dont care im not changing it.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe worn motor mounts could be passing the it back more when you make the trans. more solid.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Default Mine as well

Originally Posted by WS-Six
I have a Prothane on my car (for a month or two now) and i am swapping it off....i can't take it anymore. It's like i'm sitting in a rolling vibrating chair. My phone and change bounces around in the car...F it.
I have gotten the same vibration as you and the rest are having, i will be swapping my Prothane out his weekend.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can u buy a good factory style one? The only place i can find them in stock around here is Advanced auto for 14 bucks, but i have to change them after every 2 or 3 days! They don't last long at all. Nothing like the trans bashing the bottom of the car unexpectedly to scare your passenger half to death either. I think my Girlfriend is used to it now, but it makes me want to bash my head off the window. I am so sick of changing those damn things.

Quick Reply: F**K prothane tranny mounts!!!