Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-3 shift hittin limiter @ WOT, brought shift point down

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

That's something totally different that has been explained a few times. It's also been explained why shifting manually on a transmission without a manual valve body is a complete waste of time.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
The 4l60s take longer to shift 2-3, because more stuff has to happen in the trans in order for that shift to happen. Yours seems like its taking a while though, just keep moving the shift rpm/speed down til it shifts where you want it.

On a side note, I've seen some recommend putting the shifter in '3' until it shifts into second then move the shifter into 'D' before it shifts to third. I've never tried that, but someone said it worked for them.
Might have been me, I don't know. Tried it after reading it somewhere. Also read to run the fluid about half a quart over full, which I do now. At the track after the nitrous install the car didn't want to make the 2-3 shift. At the time I always just left the car in 3rd until it crossed the finish line. I now leave it in 3rd until it shifts to 2nd, and then put it in overdrive. Works much better for me that way. Something about more line pressure for the 2-3 shift if it's in overdrive. Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

I had/have the same problem. I have fixed it by keeping the Rev Limiter at 6500 but lowered the 2-3 shift point. I used to have the 2-3 shift raised 12 mph and now it's at +8mph (over stock). I still need to lower it another 2/3 mph and it will be perfect.

It's keeping me from breaking into the 12s. My MPH at the track are 110 and some change but the time is 13.45 from all of the "flubbering" (can't think of the appropriate word).
Old 03-12-2009, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

i have the same problem, I have hp tuners and i moved my shift point down to 50 mph. From a 45 mph roll it shifts fine now, but when i go from a dead stop it will hit the rev limit every time.. Could my 2-3 shift solenoid be the problem?f
Old 05-11-2009, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Default me too 2-3 hitting limiter

I have the same issue to. I have a new stage 5 trans 1 month old rated to hold 800 hp from local shop. It has all the bells and whistles in it (4l60E). I noticed when I race it in 3 it will bang the rev limiter for the 2-3 shift for a second then shift but in D (overdrive ) it never does it. I have a 3200 vig stall as well. Speed Inc tuned it last year with the old trans and the trans shop didnt change the tune. Hell I just been racing it in D, but wonder how much slower am I in D vrs 3. I dont feel any slower and the car pulls very hard with the new trans and shifts VERY firm. any input???
Old 05-11-2009, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same issue. Had my car tuned a couple weeks ago and still was not able to get it to shift even after lowering the shift rpm down to 5100rpm.Im not sure if the mph was touched or not though so I might try that to along with also changing my fluid. Fluid looks fine but that doesnt mean its still good.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^ I see you have a predator...did you try raising the wot rev limiter?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

not yet i havent but im gonna mess with it some before i just order another transmission.I was on a dyno and being tuned with hp tuners and couldnt get it to shift correctly but if it doesnt rain friday ill probably take it to the track and see what happens
Old 05-11-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
not yet i havent but im gonna mess with it some before i just order another transmission.I was on a dyno and being tuned with hp tuners and couldnt get it to shift correctly but if it doesnt rain friday ill probably take it to the track and see what happens
Never mind...i thought you had a after market cam in there? I'm told our cams stop making power after 5900 rpm, so raising the rev limiter is not the way to go. I guess it's lowering the rpm shift points?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

i do have an aftermarket cam but raising the limiter isnt exactly going to fix the issue.the computer is still commanding shifts at 5100rpms and showing that it is shifting but its bouncing off the limiter
Old 05-11-2009, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a similar issue to this and it kept getting worse to the point it wouldnt shift at all under wot...and then the trans grenaded completely..i dont think its a tuning issue..
Old 05-11-2009, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

yeah im thinking about picking up a flt transmission very soon.Just hate to spend the money right now if i really dont need to.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ah...got it...i just bought a LVL 2 PB and mine should be tuning issues.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ls1Rook
I have the same problem and had it for a while now, only i do think is my tranny for the reason that when the car is cold, 2-3rd goes in like it should but with a slight delay... when the car is at normal warm temp.... 2-3 shift hits limiter... also... when tranny is place in 3rd (D) i have bad vibration in the tranny... wich i read here that it might be clutches slipping...
what do u mean by bad vibration exactly?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Teching In

So anyone else have there tranny rebuilt and have this issue gone? post up
im having the same problems.....but also when i put it in 2 and power brake it all it does is bogg down no tire spin
Old 05-13-2009, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Quote:
I have the same problem and had it for a while now, only i do think is my tranny for the reason that when the car is cold, 2-3rd goes in like it should but with a slight delay... when the car is at normal warm temp.... 2-3 shift hits limiter... also... when tranny is place in 3rd (D) i have bad vibration in the tranny... wich i read here that it might be clutches slipping...

what do u mean by bad vibration exactly?'99CaMaRoSs;11590722
what do u mean by bad vibration exactly?
This is exactly what my car does. Bounces off the limiter until I lift on the wot 2-3 shift. 3rd gear vibrates pretty good but all other gears are smooth. I do not believe it is a band wear type issue. Maybe some other mechanical or programming issue, but not band related. My trans did this stock and now does it with a heads and cam upgrade. I have so many wot runs on this tranny that i am sure it would have blown by now. lol

We have tried to program it out and sometimes it seems to have helped, but then it does it again. Fluid and level are good, I even added an extra 2qt pan fot the hell of it.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 AM
10 Second Club

Damn, I was just reading this and decided to say I have the same problem with 2-3 shift on mine also. mine is a fully built 460le also. Shift points were originally set at 84mph when it started happening on nitrous only. (Motor runs were fine) We dropped it to 78mph and it shifted fine but i felt it was short shifting and I was losing mph on top end. So we bumped it up 3 more to 81. Same thing happened again bouncing the rev limiter.
Seems as we all know that nitrous will always find a weak link. I think i will just try to have it refreshed and gone over...If that dont work I just may have to go TH400 and be done with it, but i think i would really miss an overdrive. Just thought I would share.
Seems alot of us have this Problem!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Swedez28
Damn, I was just reading this and decided to say I have the same problem with 2-3 shift on mine also. mine is a fully built 460le also. Shift points were originally set at 84mph when it started happening on nitrous only. (Motor runs were fine) We dropped it to 78mph and it shifted fine but i felt it was short shifting and I was losing mph on top end. So we bumped it up 3 more to 81. Same thing happened again bouncing the rev limiter.
Seems as we all know that nitrous will always find a weak link. I think i will just try to have it refreshed and gone over...If that dont work I just may have to go TH400 and be done with it, but i think i would really miss an overdrive. Just thought I would share.
Seems alot of us have this Problem!
i cant power brake in 2nd....alll it does is bogg down, no power!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add me to the list also. After I did gears and stall it does same thing when I go WOT for the 2-3 shift. It hesitates to shift and then it'll hit off the limiter. I'm guessing its the bands. Going to probably get a FLT tranny and have the yank ss3600 refreshed to be on safe side. Even though its been tuned I'll get it re-tuned again.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
Mine does it one the street. Everytime I go WOT it will bang the 2-3 shift. Fluid is full and still in good condition. Maybe its my converter? Is having a really loose converter a problem that could cause this? I have no idea, just throwing that out there.

BTW: If I ease off the throttle and get right back in it, it will shift.
That's what mines do right there my tps sensor was the cause of that throttle position was way off tranny didn't know how to respond causing it to hit rev limiter at wot read on these sensors = tps=vss=wot sensor .

Quick Reply: 2-3 shift hittin limiter @ WOT, brought shift point down