Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e worn check ball symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e worn check ball symptoms

Could a pro on this board please tell me what symptoms worn check ***** in a 99 4l60e would be?

I just had the 3-4 clutches,forward clutches and low reverse planet replaced by a shop. I still have a few odd little problems that worry me.

1 slight delay going into drive maybe 1 second then it feels like it drops in hard.

2 decelerating from 50 mph down to 15 mph then trying to resume speed sometimes it sligghtly raises rpms then CLUNK it catches hard.

The reason it was taken apart was the lugs on the 3-4 clutches were worn off.

There is 126k easy miles on the car, its my wifes daily driver. 99 TA

Thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 10:42 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Normally if the check ball seats in the separator plate are worn a leak or even a tie up can occur. If you just had some work done on your transmission I would think that it would have been addressed in the build. The one seat that always shows signs of major wear is the 2nd gear. If this was not addressed in your build I would contact your builder to tell him the issues you are having and have them addressed. Vince
Old 03-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Banned

Well he didn't think it was nessisary to change the ***** and plate but he didn't pull it down because everything looked so clean.

I'm asking if they needed changing what i would be experiencing,I don't mind going back and telling the guy i want the ***** changed. It works excellent up shifting, everything is firm and perfect. Its just that weird part throttle thing @ 15 mph and the 1 second delay going into drive i feel is odd.

Thanks for the input, I realize you don't want to beat up on my builder. I was in the trans business myself way back in 70's. The guy felt he didn't need to do any extra work to the trans because it looked so clean and worked ok. The only reason i had it torn down is i heard a odd noise in P N and 1st. The noise was 3 of the 3-4 clutches had the inside lugs worn off, the 4th clutch plate looked ok and was the only reason she still had 3 and 4th gear. AND IT DIDN"T SLIP! Thats how easy my wife drives.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:15 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ***** really would not need to be replaced. The separator plate wears out because of the steel *****. If your guy felt it looked OK then lets assume it was. Being that you have a delay at times I would suspect that maybe the trans is low on oil or it might have a pressure issue. The issue with forward engagements could be worn forward accumulator piston. This is located in the valve body and we always replace them in our builds. I think it would be best to contact your builder and go from there. When he did the build if he did not replace the gaskets and other seals that normally would be replaced in an overhaul, this could be an issue as well. Vince
Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 AM
Banned

Thanks i'm going to contact him tomorrow. Heres the thing, I knew there was a slight delay going into drive before he worked on it but forgot to mention it. I think the new clutches in the forward pack slip less than the factory ones and that the harshness i feel. I timed it tonight hot going from N to D takes a little under 1 second until its in solid but like said it feels harsh.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Launching!

2nd checkball takes a pounding
Attached Thumbnails 4l60e worn check ball symptoms-100_0308.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Banned

wow but whats the end result problem wise? Hard shift? no shift etc?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

i have a stage 3 with shift kit and stall and thats exactly what my 2nd gear is doing, acts like it is slipping until i get rpms up to about 3800 to 4000 and thats only like half throttle, hits the rev limiter when racing. how much to fix this prob??
Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

Did he disassemble the whole trans? It sounds like the wave was left out of the forward clutch. It would cause a slight delay and harsh engagement. You may want to check the plastic accumulator in the VB. If you get that far you might as well replace them both if you have both. The other problem with the "flare" is a timing issue. The Transgo kit has shims to shim the servo on the side, 2-4 servo, to tighten the band. There is also a new exhaust for the capsule. The builder must read the directions and drill the proper holes and install. This may cure your flare. When he gets the trans apart, have him inspect the plate, if good install the plastic *****. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: 4l60e worn check ball symptoms