Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Pro advice AGAIN lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the reason for the black ATF, think about this for a min...the trans doesn't slip and its shifts nice. The oil is black but its not burnt.......guess why yet?????

He added a seal softener like Trans X etc ...so much that the seals leached off coloring the oil black. What tipped me off was i pulled out 2 qts to look at it and realized it didn't smell like atf, It smells like solvent!

I'm very upset with this guy now because he KNEW all along why the oil was turning black but played dumb not wanting to admit instead of replacing all the seals he just added a seal sweller.

Please pros chim in and tell me how long you think the seals will last now that they have been exposed to such a strong solvent. The oil has a jet black tint to it from the seals. I'm going to try and get most of the ATF out and replaced as soon as possible. TY

Last edited by 9987ta; 03-22-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Banned

I had it flushed,local guy using a pump in the dip stick. pull 4 qts...add 4 drive it, did this 3 times. He thinks two more times should do it. wants to wait a week to get it all mixed together to get the most out.

By the way with ALL ATF in the trans the car moves along much nicer. What was in there seems to have no lubricity to it,very thin with no film.It actually looked and felt like black cherry soda, It was that thin and black.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Banned

The owner of the shop contacted me and is willing to do what ever it takes to make it right. So i'm sure in the end this will all work out. Cars sure can be a pain in the butt!
Old 03-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Banned

Ok now the fluid is staying red so they must have got the worst of it out. Now i have engine trouble!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:51 AM
Banned

Just to update the engimne is running worse, it surges at anything above 45mph making you think the lock convertor is slipping in and out. Actually its the engine surging! GEEZ I'm guessing she put bad fuel in it just before she took it back to the trans guy. I'm hoping its just a blocked fuel filter.

Unfortuneatly I at 1st thought it was the trans acting up because it starts surging right about 45 mph! WHAT A PISSER! I gotta try smooth things over with the trans guy now because honestly he did a good job, the trans works perfectly just the fluid was dark. I know ALOT of shops do the sealer thing to be sure they don't get come backs from weak seals. If i had realized it before why the oil was turning black i would have just flushed it and not said a thing. WOW talk about FUBAR...this car is really getting on my last nerve!