Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM, Performabuilt, or FLT 4L80E.... I am going nuts trying to decide!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation RPM, Performabuilt, or FLT 4L80E.... I am going nuts trying to decide!

Well... I dont think Ive seen a post like this before... read below and see what I mean.

Performabuilt... 2yr warranty IF you use their converter. +1 for the warranty but still not sure about their converters. If I want to go without their converter.. with a Yank, PI, or Circle D... I lose 1yr warranty, -1. I have heard nothing but good about Performabuilt however I cant seem to find a whole lot about their converters. Im still not too sure why you would lose a whole year warranty going with a major brand name converter. I understand the logic, sales.. and to get their converters out in the market, but why not stand behind a converter brand that will warranty their own converters for the same time period? Oh well... Im still considering Performabuilt even with their converter.

FLT..... talked to them on the phone. Chuck seems very knowledgeable on the phone and very willing to speak with me about my car and what I need. Trans warranty only 6 months (-1), but my gut feeling is I wont need the warranty. Best thing is... I can use a converter that I REALLY want to use. Not saying Performabuilt converter is junk, just that I REALLY would like to use a brand that is tried and true. Price from FLT is very reasonable and Chuck made an offer for my T56 core that is totally fair and reasonable. +1 Oh another +1 is he mentioned he would warranty my trans WITH the t-brake in it. Oh yeah.. FLT trans comes with the bellhousing and tailshaft ready to install, Performabuilt doesnt include these items. Not knocking them... just pointing out the facts.

Lastly....

RPM.... they seem to be generally accepted here but not a sponsor so I wont go into detail. They were recommended by a local shop, by a mechanic that I highly trust. I called this mechanic today to speak with him about my new fascination with going to AT... thats when he mentioned RPM and said thats all their shop uses and they are VERY happy with Rodney and his trans. Seems their warranty is only 90 days..... major -1. If all goes well my swap wont be done in time (doing this on my own time in my garage) to get more then a couple trips to the track. I will be calling Rodney at RPM tomorrow to talk with him. Again... with RPM I can pick my own brand converter and retain the RPM warranty.

Ive also considered Rossler... but would rather go with the 3 listed above.

Soooo.. here I am.. eyes bloodshot from reading search results and reading them EVERY night for the last 2-3wks..... money in hand to buy whatever 4L80E I want... I have 10 different website tabs opened with ALL the parts I need to buy to make the T56 to 4L80E conversion... ready to pull the trigger once I select a company to go with for the trans.

Sponsors..... respond please.. why should I go with your trans? You can PM me if you like..... not trying to start a flame between sponsors.

Owners... tell me why I should go with _____________ brand transmission.

Thanks in advance.... all advice/info appreciated.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Performabuilt Lvl 2 4L60E here and I love it. As far as customer service goes you can not beat Performabuilt. Frank is always available to answer questions or talk about any concerns you might have. I have even hit him up on yahoo IM at 1 am and he has responded. Performabuilt also has the longest warranty on their transmissions of any of the builders and they have their $950 rebuild deal. If at anytime after the warranty runs out on the trans and something happens to it, they will completely rebuild it for $950 and replace all parts and re-warranty it again. You can't beat that with a stick!!! I do not run a Performabuilt converter but I have heard very good things about them, even if you go with a different converter you still have a 1 yr warranty which I believe is still one of the best warranties there is on transmissions.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Definitely a tough decision, I have dealt with all three and think you will be satisfied with either. I send a lot of converters to FLT to be tested with the trans on his dyno, I really like that, makes sure everything is working in harmony. I don't sell any converters to Performabuilt directly for obvious reasons, but do have a lot of customers who use them and are very satisfied. RPM sells PI so same case there, but I have talked with them on occasion and they seem top notch. Good luck. I would definately recomend one of these though!!

Chris
Old 03-27-2009, 09:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks like you have already covered to plus and minus for each in detail so cant add much there.
Theres another thread covering this also you can look over too.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...or-tranny.html

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-27-2009, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circle-D
Definitely a tough decision, I have dealt with all three and think you will be satisfied with either. I send a lot of converters to FLT to be tested with the trans on his dyno, I really like that, makes sure everything is working in harmony. I don't sell any converters to Performabuilt directly for obvious reasons, but do have a lot of customers who use them and are very satisfied. RPM sells PI so same case there, but I have talked with them on occasion and they seem top notch. Good luck. I would definately recomend one of these though!!

Chris
Chris.. that is a work of art right there.. I am def. considering your product.

Anyone else want to add anything?

Quick Reply: RPM, Performabuilt, or FLT 4L80E.... I am going nuts trying to decide!