Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help identifying converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default help identifying converter

I bought this th400 converter off a member here, thought it was a tci 5500 8" race converter, but after receiving it, I do not believe it is close to what was described. Here is a few pics, only markings on the converter are "mpm" etched in the front of it, and has "gm" faintly in blue on the side. It was supposed to be an 8" converter, but measures 11" across, to me looks like a stock style cut apart converter. I just ran an 8" coan converter in my firebird last year, which measured 8", but this seller is trying to say this is an 8" converter even though it measures 11" from side to side. Opinions?

It even has a small drain plug on the back.

Sorry for the bad pic, only got my camera phone, it's 11" across though...

Old 04-20-2009, 08:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I can only say if it measures 11 inches its not and 8 inch converter.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-20-2009, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I can only say if it measures 11 inches its not and 8 inch converter.
Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to know and coming from you(sponsor) is what the seller needs to see also.

Any chance we can identify this any more? Does the "mpm" stamped come on a stock converter maybe? You think this could be a stock converter thats been cut open and modified?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didn't think stock converters were painted at all but i could be wrong on that. and tci's are black i think too, but that doesn't mean somebody couldn't have just sprayed a stocker black.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like your measurement is adding an inch and a half or so... So it prob actually measures 9.5-10 I just went out and measured one of my 8" race converters and it measures 9.5" I also have a 7" converter that doesn't measure 7"... Dont take the "inch" so literally on the converters..... Different companies will have different specs..... You have an aftermarket converter, just not sure exactly what the brand is. Have you ran it yet and seen how much it will stall? Why did you get rid of the Coan, I thought they were good converters???

Here is a stock converter for you....

Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I can only tell you this, Its not stock, But at 11 inches its not and 8 inch so I have no idea.
But it does appear in the pic your adding and inch it starts at the metal tab.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-20-2009, 11:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DRAGRACR
Looks like your measurement is adding an inch and a half or so... So it prob actually measures 9.5-10 I just went out and measured one of my 8" race converters and it measures 9.5" I also have a 7" converter that doesn't measure 7"... Dont take the "inch" so literally on the converters..... Different companies will have different specs..... You have an aftermarket converter, just not sure exactly what the brand is. Have you ran it yet and seen how much it will stall? Why did you get rid of the Coan, I thought they were good converters???

Here is a stock converter for you....

I ran the coan in my firebird, this is going to be used in my rx7. The 8" coan makes this "8 inch" converter look like a giant, probably weighs twice as much. I can't say anything bad about my coan, it performed great n/a, on the spray, and even worked good enough when I had it behind my turbo build.

I'll measure it tomorrow with a better pic, I was expecting a small light 8" converter only to open the box and get this big heavy converter. I just got it today so I haven't got to try it out obviously. I'll try to see if I have a pic of my 8" coan converter I had.

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I can only tell you this, Its not stock, But at 11 inches its not and 8 inch so I have no idea.
But it does appear in the pic your adding and inch it starts at the metal tab.
I'll flip it over and get a better pic tomorrow, I just took these quick pics earlier today, didn't have a lot of time.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Let me help. that converter is a 10" F-30 core convertered to fit a GM.Those cores are still used by some manfacturers but not many.Mosty have gone to the 245 because of durability and fin angle options.It coukld be a TCi but TCI stamps there converters as we do with TCI right on the impeller side of the converter. what are your plans for this converter?.Race car only ? if so you might want to think about it.Not necesarily a bad converter but you need to make sure it is right for your combination.

Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 04-21-2009, 07:19 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks Greg, you answered my question exactly as I needed, and backing performabuilt, I believe I wasn't sold what I thought I was being sold. I'm going to contact the seller and go from here.

I was planning on running this converter in my rx7 just for this year, all motor, then switching to a nice converter this winter when I build a big nitrous setup. The car will get driven on the streets, but I was looking to really push it n/a this year, trying to go into the 10's on a cam only lt1. You were definitely on my list to call about a converter, I'm really wanting to see how your 4000 works in my friends trans am wants he hit the track here soon. I will have a different combination come spring that will take a good converter that is for sure.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would definitely contact the seller. Maybe it was an honest mistake and he was given the wrong info. Greg is correct, it is a 10" Ford core originally. The pump looks like it is off a high stall A4LD, a Ford Explorer with a 3.0 motor. It does not look very well built from the outside, so the inside is probably about the same. Durability and efficiency were probably sacrificed for quantity.

On a side note, Converter diameter seems to be what ever you can round down to, and sometimes more. For instance, the 8" converter is a very popular choice for high performance race motors, but it actually measures over 9". It really bothers my OCD. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Chris
Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks, I pm'd the seller back hopefully he doesn't try anything, he already deleted the thread on here.