Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make me feel better about owning an A4

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Why does someone always have to make an ignorant comment like this??

High school kids?? Yea, I suppose thats why many of the worlds best sports cars aren't even available in an automatic. Autos can be fast, sure, but that doesn't discredit the manual transmission in any way.

Take your stalled automatic on a road course and see how well you do against an M6, it would be a joke. Manuals do everything well - they put down the most power, run the fastest traps, and still get the best fuel economy. Discrediting that only proves ignorance.

If you enjoy your auto thats fine. But don't call out M6's as being "for high school kids", thats ridiculous.
Maybe in your personal experience, but not in mine. Everyone Ive ever known (no "professional racers" mind you-laypeople like 90% of the people that mod an Fbody) absolutly had to have a 6 speed when they were young. as me and my friends get older they start loosing the manuals and going with stalled auto's. Not an ignorant remark just a statement of fact.

How many times do you see it on here that a stalled auto with less power than a comparable M6 will get to the end of the track 1st? Pretty damn common. If it wasn't why would there even be a market for stalled autos? Ive also seen ALOT more auto's going down the 1320 than M6 whenever I go to the races, but I haven't been to many so again my personal experience. Sure the M6 might be actually going faster, but the A4 gets the win light.

And auto cross? Sure, the M6 is better for the 3 out of 10 people on this site that prefer autoX to drag-not for me. As far as the worlds best sports cars, well you said it yourself-sports cars, not drag cars. Sure they go in a straight line well but its not what they are intended for. Again most purpose built drag cars Ive seen are A4/3 or glide.

So what? You like your M6, cool have a blast. Fact is its harder to launch, more inconsistent and prone to driver error. Ive seen a lot of auto cars go down the track 5 times in a row and every run be within 2 tenths of each other, and that's hard to match with an M6.

Its like the old saying "fighters make movies, bombers make history", "M6's go fast, but A4's win races"
Old 05-12-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

me vs a H/C car.

me: tr224 only, EDGE 3200,full street trim w no weight reduction, factory rims w Nittos
Him: M6 w 9 inch and gears, 240 cam, Fast intake, TSP heads, lots of weight reduction, Slicks and Skinnies, he was launching at about 6K.

i caught him sleeping at the line, look how long it takes him to catch me....

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 05-12-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

I own an auto, And I like . every once and a while I get an itch to slam some gears but oh well. Manuals are ok. And as far as these people that give you ****, **** em its your car not theres. Who cares what other people think. Something tells me these people you are referring to either dont own a car like yours or like most typical haters they are just jealous and trying to point out an auto as being a "flaw" when they just don't have any idea as to what the **** they are talking about. As long as your happy who cares
Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Teching In

I LOVE MY STALLED A4,GUESS ITs ALL PREFERENCE WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO IT,LET HATERS BE HATERS AS LONG YOU ARE HAPPY WITH UR RIDE THATS REALLY ALL THAT MATTERS..HEY AT LEAST WHEN YOU RACE YOU WONT HAVE TO WORRY BOUT MISSING A SHIFT!!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackhawk0251
Yes it is. At the time, I was running 11.93 at 113. I've not had the chance to race him again since I got the new times.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:13 AM
10 Second Club

Dynos are for tuning. Tracks are for bragging rights. You don't win races on dynos. If you want to talk your car up and say how much power it has on a computer screen get the manual. If you want to win races at the track and do it consistently get the auto. Also when your really going fast you'll understand. It was hard enough in my m6 car to get in the high 10's and a misshift will pop the motor. The auto is stupid consistent and much easier to go fast since it takes so many variables out. Also these people that are giving you a hard time ask how fast their car goes at the track.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^Amen.