Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd tranny damage, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wierd tranny damage, opinions?

Today I took apart my co-workers 4L60E out of a 1999 silverado 4wd, it had been slipping badly so he replaced it and we took it apart to see what the damage was. We found that the clutch packs were almost new looking, and it was a reman 2001+ tranny with the updated 13 vane pump, and not original to the truck. Anyways, this is one of the clutch packs, I believe the 3-4. What the hell happened to the teeth here? It looks almost like someone forced the input drum into place instead of lining up the teeth.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:28 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

13 vane pumps have been used in 4l60e transmissions since 1996 so I'm pretty sure that is original equipment for the 99. The clutches that you have posted look like they have seen some heat. Then again hard to tell from a picture without seeing them in person. The teeth on the 3-4 clutch are worn from use not from the install. I have seen it many times. There are clutches that did not have hardened teeth and that set definitely looks like it. Being a GM reman anything is possible. Vince
Old 07-05-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
13 vane pumps have been used in 4l60e transmissions since 1996 so I'm pretty sure that is original equipment for the 99. The clutches that you have posted look like they have seen some heat. Then again hard to tell from a picture without seeing them in person. The teeth on the 3-4 clutch are worn from use not from the install. I have seen it many times. There are clutches that did not have hardened teeth and that set definitely looks like it. Being a GM reman anything is possible. Vince
How does it actually wear out that way? It seems like it would be hard for them to break off like that, but I guess anything it possible in there. There was no metal pieces or shavings anywhere that we could find.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:57 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The wear is done over a period of time and the metal will be like dust as it is removed. Not something that you would see chunks. I think it happens when the clutch is applied as they are force up the ring gear that is used as the clutch hub. Another posiblity is when they are not applied and are just bouncing around in there. Vince
Old 07-05-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I guess I learn something every day. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The input drum bushing is likely very worn. This drum not running on center wears the clutches at the splines. This bushing is one of the weak points on this transmission. The best reason to keep the oil clean and changed.
Best of luck.
Rick