Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you manually shift your stock tranny/converter A4?
No I never do it and wouldn't suggest it to anyone!
38.98%
Sometimes just for the exhaust notes upon deceleration.
32.20%
Yes for racing I hold her in third to avoid downshifting
24.58%
Yes I row through 1,2,3,D sequentially all the time and love it.
15.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

How many manually shift their stock tranny A4 cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolAid
I shift 1-2 manually on the street in case I have to feather the wheelspin in first. I dont want it to dump into second if I have to manage throttle on a launch which is usually always the case with a 4,200 stall. On the track I usually hook good enough to let the trans work for me.
+1000 This is a good instance when to manually shift! I'll leave in manual 1st in a street race because Even on MT's I'm gonna spin some and in D or 3rd spinning or feathering the throttle off the line always ends up in a short shift to 2nd gea,r but once I know I have traction in 1st I'll go strait to D and let the auto do its thing...

And the other instance to "manually shift" is when roll racing and isn't really manually shifting its more like manually starting in the right gear then letting the auto take over, and is actually better for the trans. From what i've read and been told WOT downshifts are brutal on the input sprag, So if your gonna do say a 50 roll you want to be in 2nd gear but 4th to 2nd gear WOT downshifts not only lag but will kill your trans if done enough.

But If you start in manual 2nd there's no lag of a downshift and the input sprag is better supported and not geting hammered from a WOT downshift... Then as soon as I'm floored I'll go strait from whatever gear I'm n to D and let the auto take over...
Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 PM
EW1
Launching!

I do it. I normally drive it in drive but when someone tries to roll on me, I drop it to 2. I could drop it at 50 mph and still get a good pull out of 2 before going into 3. From there, I just run it up as fast as she will go.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002CAMAROSSLS1T56
Thats ******* great.
You need to spend a night at the track with hp tuners and watch your et drop just by tuning the trans.
Then come back here to talk ****.

See the problem is those of you running stock programming could go faster if you knew how to upshift manually without hitting the rev limiter.

Then there are those with tuning equipment who don't need to manually shift because they have their **** set up correctly.
my car is tuned to run right, actually with hptuners smart guy.There is no gain to be had by jerking with the shifter and even then the results would be inconsistant. Maybe you just like playing with the big black pole in the console.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ws666
+1000 This is a good instance when to manually shift! I'll leave in manual 1st in a street race because Even on MT's I'm gonna spin some and in D or 3rd spinning or feathering the throttle off the line always ends up in a short shift to 2nd gea,r but once I know I have traction in 1st I'll go strait to D and let the auto do its thing...

And the other instance to "manually shift" is when roll racing and isn't really manually shifting its more like manually starting in the right gear then letting the auto take over, and is actually better for the trans. From what i've read and been told WOT downshifts are brutal on the input sprag, So if your gonna do say a 50 roll you want to be in 2nd gear but 4th to 2nd gear WOT downshifts not only lag but will kill your trans if done enough.

But If you start in manual 2nd there's no lag of a downshift and the input sprag is better supported and not geting hammered from a WOT downshift... Then as soon as I'm floored I'll go strait from whatever gear I'm n to D and let the auto take over...

I am definitely not advocating going from 2-D. I'm talking "sequentially" which is the way the tranny was meant to upshift. So I go 2-3-D just like that and typically the computer will pick the best shift points in those circumstances. So the only real advantage of upshifting manually would be to keep you power band/rpm range set at a designated point to come into a corner (avoiding the downshift) or for roll racing. Now for downshifting,that's a whole other thing. If you down shift from 3-2 while getting on the throttle, it works just fine and sounds great!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
my car is tuned to run right, actually with hptuners smart guy.There is no gain to be had by jerking with the shifter and even then the results would be inconsistant. Maybe you just like playing with the big black pole in the console.

Well it helps people optimize their shift points I would say by trial and error. Once they find it manually they can set their shift points according to what they want via the pcm. Some cars/setups react differently and you won't know unless you run 'em and play around with 'em on the street/strip. How do you think GM optimized their shift points for the 10SS? Trial and error boys. Although they are more setup to manually shift via paddle shifters. You see my point though? Also you have to admit, a manually controlled auto sounds ssooooooo much more BEASTLY than letting it granny shift on its own and by letting it down shift to D coming up to a light doesn't even let you show off/hear your exhaust notes. No I don't want to do an M6 swap (more potential here for me in an A4). BUT- I do want to hear my car and feel it's power when I want to, not only when I punch it!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, you guys crack me the **** up Thanks for the help though, and the laugh!
Old 07-21-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

haha agree'd... well only time I manually shift is at my dead spot 30-39 around there, otherwise I let my auto do its thing.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Missed post 6 stupid **** with the dick obsession.
you speak from experience? did you try sucking it too?
Personally I don't jerk the shifter, but do as you will.
how is moving a shifter that isnt actually connected to anything mechanical in the trans a consistant means to running better times jerkoff? The computer commands shift in the 4l60e. Your 12.8 to 12.6 story is complete lucky bullshit. If i was tuning my car i would change the shift points in the computer and run until i found the best time. Did you ever bother telling anyone that the trans doesnt shift when exactly when you move the lever? Did you tell them there is a delay? A delay that by reading a factory tach could cause them to slam into the limiter? Sounds like by your name you have a 6 speed anyway, Congratulations, you have proven to everyone you do in fact prefer playing with a big black stick on a regular basis.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

I do it nearly every time I'm in the car and have been doing it for the past 4 years. I have zero issues with my bone stock tranny.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now tell me this. You voted Yes for racing I hold her in third to avoid downshifting
Are you telling me that if you put the shifter in third your car will not downshift?
The poll question doesn't even make sense.
I voted for the one closest, I actually manually shift my car every time i drive it, but as soon as i go WOT I click up and let the programming do the rest. My suggestion for you was with a tune such as mine, 6200 shift w 6400 limiter, there isnt much to be gained and by using the stock tach to verify rpm at WOT (which i have done) doesnt seem like a great idea. Then add in the delay factor for upshifts and it becomes a lose lose situation. Having HPTuners as obviously you do makes it a little different, although you have to remember you are talking to majority of people on here who dont own hptuners themselves. And as far as the lever being connected to something, go do 80 mph and drop it into 1. Point made.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hold it in third to avoid downshifting? At certain speeds it should downshift all the way to first, even with it in third. What do you mean by that?

I think the poll options are limited.
They should be:
No, never I'm a ***** and don't want to break anything.
No, I can't. I always screw up and go all the way up to reverse.
Yes, I do it to make use of the rpm between upshift rpm and fuel cutoff.
Yes, I do it just because I want to.
I meant to "avoid UPSHIFTING". My mistake.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're a waste of time, read my sig dumb ***, three cars listed. Heres some help, At least one is a six speed.

If the computer controls the shifts, why can you leave the shifter in 1st and it'll stay in first, it won't upshift until when? yea, until you move the lever, thats the concept of manual shifting.

Heres more help. In the 4L60E there is a manual lever connected via cable to the shifter. When you put the car in any gear that manual lever directs trans fluid to either the reverse circuit, or the first, or second, or third, or fourth, or neutral circuits. No mechanical connection but there is a PSM (Pressure Switch Manifold) with 5 or six switches in it that operate off a hydrualic signal that sends an electrical signal to the VCM.

Put the current trans gear PID in your HP Tuners and watch it go from R through 1st on the screen.

The way it works is when certain parameters are met the signal is sent to upshift (for example) IT WILL NOT UPSHIFT TO, SAY, THIRD IF YOU'RE HOLDING IT IN SECOND. It won't upshift until you manually move the lever to third. And as far as hitting the rev limiter it's like anything else that requires a reaction time, yes you do have to move the lever before it'll actually shift, but you can make it shift at a higher rpm without hitting the limiter.

The benefits come in when the trans trys to shift off mph when you could manually hold it and make it shift several hundred rpm higher.

Now tell me this. You voted Yes for racing I hold her in third to avoid downshifting
Are you telling me that if you put the shifter in third your car will not downshift?
The poll question doesn't even make sense.
You're right it doesn't and that was a mistake on my part. I edited the first post to clarify question number three in the poll. I meant to avoid "upshifting" of course lol.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how many people do this?
or what type of people?

1. ricers
2. people that think they can shift faster than an auto
3. people that think they know how to shift better than a computer
4. people that think when they shift, it actually goes into the next gear when you do it
5. need i continue?

unless like someone said they do autox or something and they do it then.. i could understand it to a degree.. but then i must ask, if your doing road courses why the **** would you have an a4???

no reason whatsoever to do this.. if you saw a kid in a honda civic do it, you would laugh.. whats the difference?
you gain ZERO performance from this.. if you are "roll racing" then you just need to time when you kick it better not mess with the gear selector..

with that said, i dont think i need to even say it.. my car only sees P R and D..
Old 07-21-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ true but do u have a dead spot in your car? I wont ever manually shift unless im 30-39 roll which normally people want to do a 35 roll or around there.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
how many people do this?
or what type of people?

1. ricers
4. people that think when they shift, it actually goes into the next gear when you do it
5. need i continue?

unless like someone said they do autox or something and they do it then.. i could understand it to a degree.. but then i must ask, if your doing road courses why the **** would you have an a4???

no reason whatsoever to do this.. if you saw a kid in a honda civic do it, you would laugh.. whats the difference?
you gain ZERO performance from this.. if you are "roll racing" then you just need to time when you kick it better not mess with the gear selector..

with that said, i dont think i need to even say it.. my car only sees P R and D..
Thanks for your input Lemons. Noted. I disagree with some of it however, like the fact that you can hold your car in second for a longer period of time and let it come to a stop all the while getting all that wonderful exhaust note. Why would I hold it in second? It's ******' fun is why lol. But I respect your opinion and it makes good sense.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
^ true but do u have a dead spot in your car? I wont ever manually shift unless im 30-39 roll which normally people want to do a 35 roll or around there.
i have 0 dead spots... 4k stall gears a cam etc etc take care of "dead" spots pretty easily..

even at that.. your car is only going to downshift as much as it can.. if it will go into 2nd, it will go.. if it wont, it wont.. if your doing 40 mph and drop it in 1st its not going to shift down until you hit that speed..

like i said though.. just time when you kick it better.. 6 speeds hardly ever get the jump on me.. just always be the one honking and leave at the appropriate time.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lemons12
how many people do this?
or what type of people?

1. ricers
5. need i continue?

Agreed...I must also say if you tune your car properly and have it setup with the proper shift points you won't have to mess with all this bullshit everybody is talking about.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Thanks for your input Lemons. Noted. I disagree with some of it however, like the fact that you can hold your car in second for a longer period of time and let it come to a stop all the while getting all that wonderful exhaust note. Why would I hold it in second? It's ******' fun is why lol. But I respect your opinion and it makes good sense.
no problem man!

yes you can.. but like i said, you would laugh at someone in a honda civic and call him a "ricer", so in that sense... why is it any different for you or me?

it does sound good letting the exhaust gurgle when coming to a stop.. but........ well ive stated this twice already.. you get my point.

if you want something different.. get a cutout... it will get that "rumble" effect when slowing down..
Old 07-21-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tkimrey
Agreed...I must also say if you tune your car properly and have it setup with the proper shift points you won't have to mess with all this bullshit everybody is talking about.

you cant out shift an automatic.. i dont care who you are.. the computer is dead accurate every time..
Old 07-21-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Holding 3rd at the traps to keep the ever so fragile 4l60 from going into 4th at WOT isnt stupid. Doing a 2nd gear burnout in the waterbox to avoid the 1-2 shift during the burnout isn't stupid. And also, as stated by someone previously, holding 1st while launching bc the slightest lift with a stall puts you in second too early isnt that bad, but is a band-aid to an obvious traction problem. Those specific instances aside...well my point was made in previous posts.

Quick Reply: How many manually shift their stock tranny A4 cars?