Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you manually shift your stock tranny/converter A4?
No I never do it and wouldn't suggest it to anyone!
38.98%
Sometimes just for the exhaust notes upon deceleration.
32.20%
Yes for racing I hold her in third to avoid downshifting
24.58%
Yes I row through 1,2,3,D sequentially all the time and love it.
15.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

How many manually shift their stock tranny A4 cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
how many people do this?
or what type of people?

1. ricers
2. people that think they can shift faster than an auto
3. people that think they know how to shift better than a computer
4. people that think when they shift, it actually goes into the next gear when you do it
5. need i continue?

unless like someone said they do autox or something and they do it then.. i could understand it to a degree.. but then i must ask, if your doing road courses why the **** would you have an a4???

no reason whatsoever to do this.. if you saw a kid in a honda civic do it, you would laugh.. whats the difference?
you gain ZERO performance from this.. if you are "roll racing" then you just need to time when you kick it better not mess with the gear selector..

with that said, i dont think i need to even say it.. my car only sees P R and D..
just wait till LS1T56 sees this post.....you are gonna get it.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Holding 3rd at the traps to keep the ever so fragile 4l60 from going into 4th at WOT isnt stupid. Doing a 2nd gear burnout in the waterbox to avoid the 1-2 shift during the burnout isn't stupid. And also, as stated by someone previously, holding 1st while launching bc the slightest lift with a stall puts you in second too early isnt that bad, but is a band-aid to an obvious traction problem. Those specific instances aside...well my point was made in previous posts.
if you have a tune its not going to shift anyways..
i dont know who doesnt put in first/second while doing a burn out.. thats the only time..
i dont have traction problems, if you do and they are that bad.. you shouldnt be racing anybody anyways..

points taken though..

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
just wait till LS1T56 sees this post.....you are gonna get it.
he can bring it..
Old 07-21-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2002CAMAROSSLS1T56
Hold it in third to avoid downshifting? At certain speeds it should downshift all the way to first, even with it in third. What do you mean by that?

I think the poll options are limited.
They should be:
No, never I drive american muscle and don't want to be laughed at by ricers.
No, I can't. I always screw up and go all the way up to reverse.
Yes, I do it to make use of the rpm between upshift rpm and fuel cutoff.
Yes, I do it because i think its cool and i can out shift a computer, no other real reasoning behind my stupidity.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have 0 dead spots... 4k stall gears a cam etc etc take care of "dead" spots pretty easily..

even at that.. your car is only going to downshift as much as it can.. if it will go into 2nd, it will go.. if it wont, it wont.. if your doing 40 mph and drop it in 1st its not going to shift down until you hit that speed..

like i said though.. just time when you kick it better.. 6 speeds hardly ever get the jump on me.. just always be the one honking and leave at the appropriate time.
well, With my cam,stall,and stock 3.23's I had a dead spot, and to get the jump from a 30 roll I had to manually keep my car in first, then I would let the tranny do the rest.

now the 3.73s have fixed that issue, I have no dead spots which I let my tranny do all the work now!

just saying, there is times when you need to manually shift..
Old 07-21-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
well, With my cam,stall,and stock 3.23's I had a dead spot, and to get the jump from a 30 roll I had to manually keep my car in first, then I would let the tranny do the rest.

now the 3.73s have fixed that issue, I have no dead spots which I let my tranny do all the work now!

just saying, there is times when you need to manually shift..
even when i just had ms4 cam and 4k stall.. stock 323s stock intake stock heads etc etc etc... i still didnt have a dead spot.. if you have a good stall there should be no dead spots..

no, you dont. i have stated my reason why in previous posts.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Heres your wonderful computer at work.
Programming shows 1-2 wot shift rpm is set at 6300.
Also shows 1-2 wot shift mph set to 40.
Fuel cutoff (rev limiter) is set to 6400 rpm.

The scan shows the computer shifting off the mph scale at just under 6000 rpm, that leaves 400 rpm wasted. My dyno graph shows the hp climbing up to 6500. This is when I manually shifted at a higher rpm without looking at the tach and went .3 faster three times in a row without hitting the rev limiter.

You people can **** talk all you want, do you have proof? I do.

So hows that for your dead accurate computer? This thread is asking about stock programming anyway, stock is set to shift wot at 37 mph, what that means to me is more to be gained by shifting manually.

Prove me wrong with programming screenshots and scans, talking **** doesn't and isn't going to work.
im not talking ****.. and yes it does work..

i honestly could care less about stock cars.. so no reason to argue on that topic..
Old 07-22-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

even when i just had ms4 cam and 4k stall.. stock 323s stock intake stock heads etc etc etc... i still didnt have a dead spot.. if you have a good stall there should be no dead spots..

no, you dont. i have stated my reason why in previous posts.
once again smart guy you are wrong..... How do you know I dont?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

once again smart guy you are wrong..... How do you know I dont?
where am i wrong?

because you are stupid and i am not.

Well the topic seems to be about manually shifting a stock car and the only people arguing aren't running stock.
let me rephrase... talking stock cars, you are correct... talking modded cars, you are wrong..

that make it more clear?

like i said, i could are less how a stock car shifts.. if your stock, your not winning many races anyways..
Old 07-22-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

where am i wrong?

because you are stupid and i am not.

let me rephrase... talking stock cars, you are correct... talking modded cars, you are wrong..

that make it more clear?

like i said, i could are less how a stock car shifts.. if your stock, your not winning many races anyways..
If that what makes you feel better by calling me stupid so be it, how old are you?

either way I guess you can tell me why.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either buy a converter and leave the damn thing in "D" as it's suppose to be or buy a 6 speed. How hard is that?

Old 07-22-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

If that what makes you feel better by calling me stupid so be it, how old are you?

either way I guess you can tell me why.
ok, stupid.

The thread is about stock cars.
All that computer stuff I posted that you have no clue about how to read is not a stock car. It shows the computer shifting early.

That make it more clear? I'm guessing no.
o, ****.. i didnt understand you the first two times you said it was about stock cars.. maybe you should repeat it 5-6 more times?
nice assumption though.. ill give you that.

is there a reasoning for you quoting what i said and highlighting it?

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
Either buy a converter and leave the damn thing in "D" as it's suppose to be or buy a 6 speed. How hard is that?

Old 07-22-2009, 01:10 AM
9 Second Club

Got all three, now what?
You sir have one fucked up car. No wonder it doesn't run right, I'd get that checked out.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha lmao, you guys are effed up lol. Again, just wondering "how many manually shift their stock trannys with/without problems. It is obviously a controversial topic where it seems to work for some and not for others. I know with a stall and shift kit things change, but I'm more interested in who manually shifts their stock autos, not who is heavily modified, not who is winning races (since some of us cruise not race) and what applications manually shifting is an viable option. If there was no desire for anyone out there to have an auto but still be able to manually shift then I guess the General got it all wrong again by putting paddle shifters on the 10SS? At least I think it comes equipped as such. Either way a LOT of cars now offer this flexibility and my question is regarding the "longetivity" of a stock tranny under manual operation (done correctly/ I know Lemons-you don't think this can be done correctly at all-but I have to disagree). I do it all the time and I swear I have a blast. Do I do it to win races? NO! I do it for fun, when I'm not in lazy *** mode in which case I let the auto do it's thing (which is what I like about an auto). I love to hold it in first, take off, let the rpms climb, slam to second under part throttle, and then to third when I feel like my rpms are right. On the way back down I do the same in reverse, and it's a great feel/sound coming up to a light btw (not like a cutout-what good is that sound when your car is already upshifted and at low rpms?). Also, holding in third is nice to avoid the upshift or even holding it in second. Helps avoid the dead spot, and yes I have a dead spot between 30-40mph or so. Just looking for other's experiences is all. Like I said, there is a reason why all the auto are coming out with tiptronic and manumatic cars-and it aint because people can't make a decision, it's because of the age old saying "I'd like to have my cake and eat it too"! Lol. Thanks again guys for all the input.

******ps. Damn you Lemons-why you always gotta come and ruin my fun? jk

People put too much faith in the stock tuning and if we thing that's ***** accurate then why do we all tune. The pcm doesn't always know best because it doesn't have a clue what the intention of the driver is at any given point. Ie: the dead spot during a roll race for example. Just my opinion and that's what I'm doing here is educating myself.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

I did it once but it just didnt feel right lol. Once in a while ill put it in 1 if im driving in a little nieghborhood
Old 07-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Tech Resident

I believe it's fine to manually upshift. I see no harm in doing it and I've been told enough times that there is no harm in doing it.

The problem is manually downshifting, especially from OD to D/D to 3. A lot of people, when roll racing, downshift to third gear. That's not good. It's much easier for these transmissions to go from 4th gear to 2nd gear than it is to go from 3rd gear to 2nd gear. If you're cruising in 4th gear and go WOT to drop into 2nd gear, LEAVE IT IN OVERDRIVE. Don't downshift to drive and then go WOT into 2nd. That is a much more mechanically intense shift and is rough on the 4L60E.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ ^ makes sense:
Old 07-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Resident

how many people do this?
or what type of people?

1. ricers
2. people that think they can shift faster than an auto
3. people that think they know how to shift better than a computer
4. people that think when they shift, it actually goes into the next gear when you do it
5. need i continue?

unless like someone said they do autox or something and they do it then.. i could understand it to a degree.. but then i must ask, if your doing road courses why the **** would you have an a4???

no reason whatsoever to do this.. if you saw a kid in a honda civic do it, you would laugh.. whats the difference?
you gain ZERO performance from this.. if you are "roll racing" then you just need to time when you kick it better not mess with the gear selector..

with that said, i dont think i need to even say it.. my car only sees P R and D..
Do you seriously own an automatic? Have you ever done this? I'm just a little confused by the ignorance in your post.

If you hold a gear, two things happen:

1.) You get a lot more torque out of that gear under acceleration if you're not under WOT conditions. I NEVER manually shift a transmission under WOT conditions. All it does is lead to you hitting the rev limiter. Under less than WOT conditions, however, you can grab a lot more power out of the car. If you are going less than WOT, the computer short-shifts almost all the time. It goes to the next gear way too early and the car falls on its face. I almost always manually shift when I'm going 1/2 to 3/4 throttle as I can attain much better control and accelerations than I can leaving it in D.

2.) Shifts when manually upshifting are much more positive than in D. When you shift manually, the transmission uses overrun clutches to aid in the shift. I guess it was by design for towing applications. It gives you a much firmer, faster, crisper, more pleasurable shift.

This effect is multiplied with a TransGo HD-2 kit installed, which I have. There are benefits to manually upshifting. They just don't come under WOT conditions. Let me ask you, how much of your car's time is spent WOT vs. less than WOT acceleration? Because you completely ignored times you're not going WOT, which is 99% of your car's life. Funny how you completely ignored that to go on your little rant

Not to mention these cars sound much better when you hold the gears.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado

Yes thank you very much for your input. It will be duly noted and I'm sure a lot of us will gain great insight from your two cents. Care to expand on that with supporting info as to why that is your opinion? Ever hear of tiptronic etc. There is obviously a desire for many many people to have the luxury of an auto with the ability to shift. So the question is not about whether to switch to an M6 but rather, can the 4l60e handle manual operation. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Launching!

I just got my tranny rebuilt, so I'm not taking any chances.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:24 PM
9 Second Club

The point is "why". Why would you shift an auto? There's no reason to if you have a converter and a good tuner.

You guys can do whatever you want, but I can't go around blowing a couple grand every couple of months on repairing a transmission for manually shifting something that really isn't ment to be.

Quick Reply: How many manually shift their stock tranny A4 cars?