Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertor keeps unlocking on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertor keeps unlocking on the highway

I have had a Vig2800 for about a year and a half now with no problems. About a month ago I noticed that it is just unlocking at highway speeds (70-80mph). It will lockup for a few miles then unlock again. For one, it is hurting my mpg, but I am worried it is hurting other parts of the drivetrain. I have already changed the trans fluid and that helped, but didnt eliminate it. What could be causing this and how do I fix it?
Old 11-21-2003, 02:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dru99SS
I have had a Vig2800 for about a year and a half now with no problems. About a month ago I noticed that it is just unlocking at highway speeds (70-80mph). It will lockup for a few miles then unlock again. For one, it is hurting my mpg, but I am worried it is hurting other parts of the drivetrain. I have already changed the trans fluid and that helped, but didnt eliminate it. What could be causing this and how do I fix it?
Misfires will make the converter unlock, you might want to log or scan for
misfire codes. If you can log and catch it in the act, you might be able to
narrow it down to one cylinder (dunno if there's any saved misfire info
to be scanned, or only real time counts).
Old 11-21-2003, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scroll down a little and see the thread started by me.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

look into installing this http://www.fairbanksperformance.com/...s/k042.htmpart
I installed one just for safty measures when I installed my new convertor, It was recommended by 2 well known 4L60E performance rebuilders to cure or correct convertor slipping and the lock-unlock at highway speeds. I have not had time to test it because my torque beast killed the 3-4 clutches 20 minutes after the convertor was installed.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same issue (also a Vig 2800), and cured it through software. I happen to have LT1 edit already, but Ken Kelly from Carputing.com fixed it for me. I sent him my flash file and he did something in the program to eliminate the problem and sent it back to me.

I am having some misfire issues and that may very well have been causing it, but the converter locks up rock solid now. Has something to do with the PCM unlocking the converter if it detects any clutch slippage to prevent burning it up.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

Question I've had a different variation.

Also w/ a Vigilante 2800.

When the car is below 1/4 temp on the gauge, it will not lock up.

Sometime the thing will reach temp, lock up, cool off due to the aux. cooler, and unlock.

I've been told that the engine temp sensor controls the lockup, and waiting is normal.

However, I do not remember having to wait for it in the '99 T/A w/ the stock stall, and in my buddies '00 SS.

Also note that this is always at speeds of around 40 or under - the converter will not lock below say 35 MPH.

Never noticed a highway problem, though.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks !

Britt