Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of mods Iam adding to my 4L60E!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List of mods Iam adding to my 4L60E!

In June I burned up the 3-4 clutches, broke the input planets and ring gear, broke the input sun gear in half. Last week I installed a tranny and SSF 3800 and got 20 miles out of it before the 3-4 burned up. I bought the tranny used out of 2000 Z that was totaled, car showed a little 0ver 40,000 miles so I thought the tranny would at least give me another year or so of use sense my stock tranny lasted just over 3 years with my mods. I just finished taking a tranny rebuild class and I have the service manual and repair video for the 4L60E and I have rebuilt trannys before so I am going to attempt this myself in the next few weeks. Here is a list of parts that I have in the trans and what I am using for the rebuild.

In the trans now
Trans-Go shift kit
Billet Super Servo
Billet overdrive servo
PWM powervalve (helps lockup of high stall convertors and limit code PO1870)
3-2 check valve (shorter 2-3 shifts, proper 3-4 clutch release on 3-2 downshift)
Trans-Go HD seperator plate

Going in during rebuild
full Alto Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels
Alto Kevlar band
29 element Borg-Warner dual cage sprag
"The Beast" reaction shell
Trans-Go 3-4 release spring

My car is only going to make around 375-380 rwhp when I add the LT and LS6 intake after Christmas so I think this tranny combo will live for awhile. I hope!!!
Old 11-23-2003, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

do u have a tranny color,,if u don't u need one
Old 11-23-2003, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a nice setup!

IMO the Raybestos Blue Plates are a better 3/4, and the Raybestos band is superior also. This comes from a friend that has experimented with them all, and swears by the Raybestos stuff. I've heard from many others the same thing also. Even PATC recomends the Raybestos frictions over Alto's, and they sell both!

In theory, the Alto's with 9 plates SHOULD have better holding power, and that may be true. But what they may make in holding power they seem to loose in apply time. With 9 plates to engage, there is a lot of fluid to be displaced between the plates, the mass is heavier, and they tend to slip more before engagement. Same with the band. The wider band may seem to offer more friction, but it's very difficult to disperse ATF from between the band and drum.

Having said that, many people have had good luck with the Alto's, but I'm just sharing my opinion. Might want to ask around first before ordering the parts
Old 11-23-2003, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

FWIW, my g/f snapped the Raybestos Kevlar band I'm going to assume it was a bad band, because it tore straight across the rivets. We replaced it with a regular ol' Borg Warner "High Energy" band, and it's happy as can be. Grabs just as hard as the kevlar, and not as harsh on part throttle engagement.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a 9 clutch Blue plate setup? I just went through the 6 clutch blue plate special setup in 1150 miles and about 10 passes. 3rd and 4th are now slipping. I do have 425 rwhp but I need something that will hold up. Im gonna try the full Alto Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels this time unless someone has a better idea.
Any ideas or insight would be greatly appriciated
Old 11-23-2003, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by offaxis
Is there a 9 clutch Blue plate setup? I just went through the 6 clutch blue plate special setup in 1150 miles and about 10 passes. 3rd and 4th are now slipping. I do have 425 rwhp but I need something that will hold up. Im gonna try the full Alto Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels this time unless someone has a better idea.
Any ideas or insight would be greatly appriciated

If you destroyed the 3/4's in 1150 miles with 425RWHP, something else was wrong. Crossleak, timing problem, release problem, fluid restriction, incorrect freeplay, incorrect break in, etc.

All the hi-po parts in the world can't fix other problems. I'd look into the root cause of the premature 3/4 failure before fixing it, or it will just happen again.

Just my $0.02
Old 11-23-2003, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

I was going to use the blue plates, but i heard that they tend to glaze over under everyday street use, I do like the fact that 5 blue plates in the 3-4 clutch pack still has almost twice the holding power of the stock 3-4, but my car is mostly a daily driver and I don't want to make 3-4 clutch changes every year. just my .02 and from what I have heard from guys using blue plates on the street.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I've read that too about the Blue Plates, I think Colonel mentioned it the other day in fact. That's the first I believe I've ever heard that though. I do know a lot of people with great success on Blue Plates.

I guess it all depends on your definition of "street driving"
Old 11-23-2003, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
If you destroyed the 3/4's in 1150 miles with 425RWHP, something else was wrong. Crossleak, timing problem, release problem, fluid restriction, incorrect freeplay, incorrect break in, etc.

All the hi-po parts in the world can't fix other problems. I'd look into the root cause of the premature 3/4 failure before fixing it, or it will just happen again.

Just my $0.02
The tranny was pressure checked and Everything seems right. Is there anyone on this board running 6 clutch setup with over 400 hp? I mean personal experience not I know a guy who knows a guy or I read somewhere info. I have just about every damn upgrade availible for this tranny and this is getting under my skin. Im not claiming to have a crazy car it just seems that after you go past 400 rwhp these start coming apart. Plus the car is shifted at 6700 RPMs I am not sure if rpm has anything to do with it. I had hundreds of passes on my stock unit with my cam only 366 rwhp and everything was great. 11.7 all day with no problems with he tranny. As soon as I installed the H/C setup the tranny went right away after my first pass.

Last edited by offaxis; 11-23-2003 at 04:18 PM.