Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC install, is this bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009 | 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

if the repair price is reasonable I say let the trans shop do it. No need to hassle with it anymore. Just chalk it up as a lesson learned. No biggie.
Old 09-08-2009 | 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

I think i'm gonna leave it on the truck and let the shop do it. I hope the pump is okay and its just a bushing or seal. I have no idea how i could have broken this...unless it was already broken and by removing the old TC it collapsed.

Oh well, stupid money pit. Heh.
Old 09-09-2009 | 07:06 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by slingshot928
I would let the transmission shop do the work on it if something is screwed up, the front seal and bushing sometimes are hard to get out and back in without screwing them up....its not worth buying the parts and then bringing the transmission back into the shop. I have done a couple of converter swaps, and have never heard of something happening like this...
You could replace the front seal without removing the pump. However to replace the bushing the pump has to be removed. I would definitely let a shop do this repair.

Originally Posted by Gatsby
I think i'm gonna leave it on the truck and let the shop do it. I hope the pump is okay and its just a bushing or seal. I have no idea how i could have broken this...unless it was already broken and by removing the old TC it collapsed.

Oh well, stupid money pit. Heh.
If I had to guess the pump rotor is what is broke. This happened when you bolted the transmission to the engine and the converter was not fully seated. I have seen this hundreds of times in my years. More than likely the pump has some damage from the rotor being wedged against the rear portion of the pump.

When I was a young man working in a trans shop this was the first thing they taught me. Never to bolt the trans to the engine by pulling the two components together using the bolts. Always make sure that the two pieces are fully mated and flush before tightening the bolts. Also make sure that the converter is not against the flexplate before doing so.

After tightening the bolts make sure the converter spins and also check the converter spacing. At which point make any adjustments needed and bolt the converter to the flex plate. Then finish reconnecting every thing else in the RNR process.

Just an FYI... I would take the converter to the shop as well so they can make sure the hub on the converter is ok. There is a chance that you might have damaged it as well in the process. Vince B
Old 09-09-2009 | 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Just got back from the shop, they showed me inside the trans and Vince is 100% correct. I broke the pump rotor. He said the pump itself is fine. The TC itself is fine too.

He said there are "hot spots" on the 3-4 clutches and on whatever the clutches go inside. I don't remember the same? Shell? Band?

Anyway, he said they're fine and will work fine but that with any more power it'll start to break. Does that sound okay? I really can't afford the $600 or so he said it would be to upgrade or replace everything right now.

Also, thank you to everyone that chimed in, i appreciate your help.
Old 09-09-2009 | 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Run the tranny till it breaks
Old 09-09-2009 | 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

That's pretty much what i told the guy. Heh. I figure it's a toy...lets treat it as such.