Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall Converter?

i am looking to put a 3600 stall in my 99 trans am. i am wondering what the difference in a lock up stall and a lock up is.. what is the best one to go with. any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-28-2009, 02:30 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are running a stock transmission then you have a 4L60E which has a lock up type converter. If you buy a quality 3600 stall for your car it will be a lock up converter as in when you are in Drive or OD and cruising the computer will command the converter to lock up and there will be no slip from the engines flexplate to the rear tires. It allows you to cruise at hiway speeds with the engine maintaining low rpms which nets great fuel economy.

Some people force their converter to lock up while on a dyno for accurate HP readings and for tuning purposes. Some people also force their TC to lock up at WOT for performance enhancement, but that's primarily for the forced induction guys or guys with big shots of nitrous. The average Joe would not benefit from locking the TC up at WOT.

A quality converter will have a very durable and proven lock up clutch material and/or multiple lock up clutch discs. A poorly built budget converter can result in the clutch material burning up prematurely or breaking loose and sending clutch material through the transmission. This is something you do not want to experience. Do it right the first and you will be glad you did.

A stall converter is hands down the best bang for the buck IMO. A 3600 stall will turn your car into a whole different animal (in a very good way).

I have test many different stall converters and it's no secret I am partial to Circle D Specialties converters. I've data logged many track passes testing the efficiency of them and I've seen first hand the quality of the components and workmanship that goes into their converters.

I hope this helps.

G/L

Last edited by TXCAMSS; 09-28-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

will putting that high of a stall in my car hurt my power as i sit now with only a catback??? the reason i want a 3600 stall is because sometime i plan on throwin in an ms3 cam.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

I just put a Yank SS3600 in mine. I'm all bolt ons, no cam yet. I love the way it drives and I second TXCAMSS saying "A stall converter is hands down the best bang for the buck IMO. A 3600 stall will turn your car into a whole different animal (in a very good way)."
Old 09-28-2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 99screamindemon
will putting that high of a stall in my car hurt my power as i sit now with only a catback??? the reason i want a 3600 stall is because sometime i plan on throwin in an ms3 cam.

It won't hurt a thing except traction.lol. You are doing it right by going with the stall first and then the cam. You will love it!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info fellas helped out alot. I am thinking about throwin in the streetfighter by tci have any of you heard of this stall. is tci a good brand to go with
Old 09-28-2009, 04:29 PM

This an area that I would not cheap out on. TCI as a company offers some great products, but I would not put one of their converters in any car I own. You have too many great sponsors right here that sell high quality converters that will likely last the life of your car. I would hold off and save up until you can swing the $$ for a good quality stall converter. When a budget converter fails, it often takes the transmission with it. Just my .02
Old 09-30-2009, 02:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

Three things that dont mix GOOD-FAST-CHEAP. Spend the money as the tx said and buty a quality piece. The 3600 is one of the best mods you can do for your car dollar for dollar. Our SRLS series 9.5" billet set at 36 would do the trick. All with a 3 year warranty.
Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS

I have test many different stall converters and it's no secret I am partial to Circle D Specialties converters. I've data logged many track passes testing the efficiency of them and I've seen first hand the quality of the components and workmanship that goes into their converters.

I hope this helps.

G/L
Ditto on that. Circle D works
Old 09-30-2009, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only speek from experience, ive got an EDGE 3600, 6 of my friends are also running edge stalls and no problems from any of them. I love my stall, and their customer service was great.