Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advantage or disadvantage w/ manual valve body

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default advantage or disadvantage w/ manual valve body

I 've been debating to do this and want to know what's best. My car is a daily driver and I do alot of traveling in and out of town. I've tried tuning my PCM from hitting the rev limiter and every ones in a while it hits . It's been a PITA at the track and i can't get consistent time slips. The tranny is a Level 4 tranny with a Vig. 3600, 427rwhp 403rwt.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is doing the samething yours is and I intend on going to a manual valve body also. Infact I lost the 2-3 clutch pack last weekend so while it's getting replaced we are doing the manual valve body also. The advantage is the transmission doesn't rely on the computer for any inputs as long as it's also vacuum modulated. The draw backs are you have to shift all the time and you will have to have a shift light to race.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a properly working automatic will beat the manual VB almost every time, but the manual VB is probably a bit more fun.

Make sure your shift problems are not caused by slipping clutches or other tranny issues. Also set your shift points at the track with your track tires at their track pressure. Many of us have found that our car shifts differently (but still in a very consistent manner) at the track compared to the ideal shift points for street use with street tires.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
The advantage is the transmission doesn't rely on the computer for any inputs as long as it's also vacuum modulated.
what is the vacuum modulator for? lock up? and if it is just run a switch and do it manually.

and Ragtop, explain how an automatic vb will beat a manual vb (almost)every time....please
Old 12-05-2003, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

who makes the manual valve body?
I am having the same problem with shifting and hitting the rev limiter, not good when spraying. I talked to transgo this morning and they said that their full manual shift kit will do the same exact thing the full manual valve body will do.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Rob,

No the vacuum modulator is not for lock up, it controls line pressure for the tranny instead of the PCM.

C5ls1vette,

Transgo is the kit I am going to use, the part is 4L60E-3 or you can use 4L60E-S either one.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
Rob,

No the vacuum modulator is not for lock up, it controls line pressure for the tranny instead of the PCM.
in that case, its not needed with a manual valvebody

Quick Reply: advantage or disadvantage w/ manual valve body