Need 4L60E Help (LS1 GTO) No gears until restart

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need 4L60E Help (LS1 GTO) No gears until restart

Brief history on car:

- 48,000 miles
- Stock Transmission (Shift Firmness up'd in HP Tuners)
- D1SC Procharger (approx 8lbs at peak)
- Kooks 1 7/8 Long Tubes !Cats
- Magnaflow Catback
- 255lph in-tank
- 60lb/hr injectors
- 24,000GVW Tranny Cooler

All above mods have been in car for over a year. Car has about 8,000miles on this setup. Made about 440rwhp/420rwtq (Tuning on street)

- Added a Fuddle Street Series 3,000rpm stall and retuned the car. Put about 2,000 miles on this setup and the stall was too small for my taste. Retuned and made 460/490ish.

- Added a Fuddle HP Series 3600 stall and ran the car for about 3 weeks with no issues. Took it to shop today to see if shift points were right and stuff. Everything was great, no changes made. Driving home (150miles) is where the fun began:

- Car seemed to lock/unlock converter or fall in/out of overdrive.
- Car seemed to lose 4th/OD and was way higher in the RPM range then normal.
- Looked in rearview saw smoke, so I pulled over.
- Tranny fluid was soaked under car and seemed to be coming from base of dipstick tube or a vent line as I found no cracks/tears or missing pieces anywhere else.
- Added 1qt fluid and started car, absolutely no leaks.
- Decided to limp car home (100miles) and it seemed to basically pull out in 1st fine, but I had to let off gas to get it to shift to 2nd, then to 3rd.
- I ran 3,000rpms @ about 65mph all the way home. I ran my heater and my windows down to keep temps down.
- 1/2 mile from my house I stop at a light and when it goes green I give it gas and no move.
- Manually move gear selector and no gears (D,3,2,1 or R)
-Shut car off and turn back on and car moves about 300ft or so, then free revs.
- Do the shut-off/Start shuffle to get the car home where it is parked now.

I am pretty certain my tranny is cooked (Time for a rebuild anyways), but what do you believe caused it to go out today in the first place? I was not on a sticky tire and really did not drive it hard at all.

I am curious why it moves when restarted and why it overheated in the 1st place.

I am thinking a few things:

1. Stall is bad and was not locking causing the car to slip and overheat.
2. Solenoid in tranny kept it from locking or from going to OD/4th
3. It's a 4L60E
4. I am clueless.. lol...

I am gonna borrow a good stock transmission tomorrow and wonder if I should chance it with 3,600 stall or run stock for now? Car threw no codes so it shouldn't be a computer issue and no changes were made today to the tune.

Sorry for the long post but this is the fist time a 4L60E went out like this for me. Usually 1 & 2 stay good just loose 3 & 4.

Thanks in advance for help/recommendations.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:24 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason that you would stop moving is the filter is probably plugged up. What happens when you start it up is sucks the debris out of the pan into the filter. When you shut it off they settle to the bottom of the pan.

I would drop the pan to do an inspection. Personally it sounds like the converter is coming apart. If I had to guess probably the LU clutch. I think when it was going in and out of LU it got hot and that is why it was blowing oil out the vent.

Not trying to be a jerk here but I would not use a Fuddle in the first place and would definitely look into a Yank or a Circle D. I have seen way to many issues just like yours with his budget converters! Not to mention the lack of communication. I had a few customers that went through it a while back. I'll stick with what works and who is there when I call! Enough said.

Unfortunately is sounds like you will be needing a trans in the future. Feel free to give us a call if there is anything we can do for you. We do have some specials going on right now and definitely call the converter sponsors I mentioned. Vince Bielanksi

Last edited by FLT; 10-11-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your help and input Vince. I am going with another sponsor and yes FUDDLE customer service sucks donkey ballz!!!! I filed with the Utah BBB along side a few others.... Damn crooks...

Quick Reply: Need 4L60E Help (LS1 GTO) No gears until restart