Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e problems not shifting to 2nd and 4th?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e problems not shifting to 2nd and 4th?

Has anyone ever had this problem or know the solution. I have 98 z28 and it will not shift into 2nd or 4th. I have drop the pan and it is super clean with no material and not burnt fluid. I check both shift solenoid and they read between 20-40 ohms, but went ahead and replaced them. I pulled 2-4 servo to check for seal problems, none found. I remove filter to see 2-4 drum and band and there was no metal heat discoloring. I remove pressure switch and tested contact and d2 n/c contact was a little sticky but cleaned it up and it freed up. After putting back together still not going into 2nd or 4th. It's not slipping it's not even attempting to go into 2nd or 4th, only have 1st and 3rd. Please help poor man enthusiast overcome hotrod blues. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2009, 12:51 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you have a broken band. With the pan removed does is wiggle side to side? If it is excessive I would suspect it is broke or the area where the pin applies has a hole blown in it or the anchor area is damaged. Vince Bielanski
Old 10-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Teching In

No side to side movement and I can apply the band with pressure. When driving it is like you have shifter in low. You have to let off the gas any let it go straight to 3rd. When your in 3rd and mat it and it downshifts it's like you when to netrual. You never feel the trans attemp to shift to 2nd or 4th. Could it be the presure switch?
Old 10-18-2009, 10:18 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This might take two people. Take the output or drive shaft and turn it clock wise. Watch to see the drum turn. Now while applying air to the circuit for the band, does the drum stop turning? If not then you have a band that is broken.

As for your theory on the pressure switch. This is there to tell the computer which gear you are currently in. I do not believe it will keep the trans from completing those ranges that you do not have even if the switch is bad. I think the only way it could be possible is if the rubber or plastic seal was missing and it caused a huge leak. Remember one thing the clutch circuit oil is what activates this switch signal for the computer.

Are you sure that 2nd and 4th are the ranges that you do not have? Also are you getting any codes. I think there is something that you are missing here. Vince Bielanski
Old 10-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Teching In

I have been able to reading any codes due to cig fuse was blown and obdII would not connect but I resolve that problem last night and plan to go and have it read today. I will try turning the output shaft while apply band to see if it locks the band down, I hadn't thought of that, thanks. I am concerned I have overlooked something, what items should I rule out beside the band? Also when I removed the presure switch and tested the contacts with multi meter I did get intermit op of the D2 N/C contact. I drive this car every day and the drive train is quite and it drive good except for not shifting into 2nd and 4th. I just takeoff in drive and when the rpms get to around 3000 at part throttle I let completely off give it a second or two, it shift to 3rd and get back into gas and go on about my way. After i read code I'll try your suggestion, if it does lock the band is there another avenue I should venture to? thanks.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:20 AM

Default no 2nd or 4th

Originally Posted by cccullins
Has anyone ever had this problem or know the solution. I have 98 z28 and it will not shift into 2nd or 4th. I have drop the pan and it is super clean with no material and not burnt fluid. I check both shift solenoid and they read between 20-40 ohms, but went ahead and replaced them. I pulled 2-4 servo to check for seal problems, none found. I remove filter to see 2-4 drum and band and there was no metal heat discoloring. I remove pressure switch and tested contact and d2 n/c contact was a little sticky but cleaned it up and it freed up. After putting back together still not going into 2nd or 4th. It's not slipping it's not even attempting to go into 2nd or 4th, only have 1st and 3rd. Please help poor man enthusiast overcome hotrod blues. Thanks!
Hey, did you ever fix this? What was the problem?
Old 12-04-2020, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 158 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Daniel
This was from 2009 brother.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

OP hasn't been active since 2014
It's been 11 years since the original post started.

Wanna stop by the cemetary next and ask old lady jones how "gone with the wind" ends?
Old 12-05-2020, 04:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Daniel
Start your own thread, and ask your questions there.

Quick Reply: 4l60e problems not shifting to 2nd and 4th?