Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto trans failing already?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 03:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Auto trans failing already?

I looked for something similar but couldn't find anything helpful. Anyway here is my story. I own a 2000 Z28 Auto of course, 66k, lpp, ory, lm, 2.73s, lid tranny cooler, and its pretty much stock. Trans hasn't had any work on it other than having the fluid changed at 60k this spring. I drove around with no problems, raced it a few times, and it all went great. About a few weeks ago, I'm driving on the highway and I decide to let it rip, car downshifted to 2 and I took it all the way up to 3rd. Only problem was that on the 2-3, it hit the limiter a couple times then decided to shift. I thought "no way its starting to go this early" I've done everything I could to keep this from happening. I took it to a shop, the guy said the trans fluid was dirty, and that a flush could probably help things out. It made sense, perhaps the fluid was too dirty to run the car normally. So I had it done, car drove fine, but still did not want to shift that 2-3. It sucks, the car drives around town fine, but doesn't want to do the thing that I bought it for! 1-2 shifts pretty good, its just that 2-3. I've heard from some people that this typically happens to LS1 autos at around this time but I didn't want to believe it.

So that's my story. I don't know if anyone else has seen something similar to this. If so, I'd like to hear what you did. I'm pretty convinced my transmission is fucked, and its only a matter of time before it quits on me. But still, 66k? I'm just shocked.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought i had a bad tranny too. but actually some cars hit the 2-3 wot from the factory. mine for one did and all i did was changed some shift points up with my hptuners and it stopped. then i just recently put a shift kit in during my stall install and now the 2-3 is perfect.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
i thought i had a bad tranny too. but actually some cars hit the 2-3 wot from the factory. mine for one did and all i did was changed some shift points up with my hptuners and it stopped. then i just recently put a shift kit in during my stall install and now the 2-3 is perfect.
I don' know much about the shift points and things like that, but I had that idea that if the car shifted a bit earlier it'd be ok. is that what you did? Also, when did you notice your car started doing that?
Old 06-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Launching!

my car does that all the time, it acts like it cant decide if it wants to be in 2nd or 3rd so it hesitates and goes in and out
Old 06-13-2010, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Update: Well I guess it was just some freak occurances. My speedometer was off, perhaps that had something to do with it. Raced it many times afterwards and it still made the shifts, although we did tune it a bit.