Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter install

Old 10-21-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Converter install

Here I go, I am I about to drop the trans out as soon as I 1) feed the kids 2)go get wife dinner 3) eat something myself 4) package up a camshaft and ship it out 5)go to vatozone and buy more trans fluid and drain bucket 6) buy kitty litter 7)change clothes.......8) finally start on the converter swap!!!
I am going to change the fuid and filter and install a cooler, maybe a trans temp gauge if I can find one at ho'reillys and wondering if there is anything else I need to do while the trans is out. I have a rear main I am going to replace as well. Sticking in a 3200 stall with the mods in the sig, hope I can tell a difference! I keep hearing how great a stall is and I hope the hype is true, wish me luck and thank god for vacation time, I am off tomorrow. Hope I can finish before I have too many......**** its Wednesday, can I drink on wednesday?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I would replace the front seal on the trans with a GM replacement. I replaced mine with an advance seal when doing my converter install and it had a slow leak ever since. I am replacing it with a GM seal this time and hoping for better luck.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the input I completely forgot about the pump seal. I use only GM seals, no aftermarket here. But on a side note, I hate GM, why in the hell would you use allen headed bolts for the torque converter? And to the stupid **** that owned the car before me why in the hell did you think it was smart to weld the exhaust all the way back to the muffler? I had 1 cutoff wheel left and FN broke it on the I pipe and rounded the **** out of the allen headed bolts and do not feel like hearing the air hammer tonight. I am done for the night, had a couple of and looks like there are more in my future, took tommorow off and looks like I will be under the car all day....................Damn I was excited to see what it would do. Anyone have any experience with a 224 cam and a 3200 stall? After all the BS I need some motivation to finish it, if not I will let it sit!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beedo
But on a side note, I hate GM, why in the hell would you use allen headed bolts for the torque converter?
It was only on the early LS1 F-body converters Mine had regular bolts.

Originally Posted by beedo
Anyone have any experience with a 224 cam and a 3200 stall? After all the BS I need some motivation to finish it, if not I will let it sit!!!!!!
Motivation? 3200 is WEAK! get a big boy stall! hahahaha

Oh and DON'T! lose the clips for the transmission cooler lines.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I hear ya on the damn allen bolts on the TC. Totally sucked getting them out. My circle-d came with new bolts (hex head)

Im happy with my 3200, you will feel the difference.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jetlag

My 01 had allen bolts
Old 10-21-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jetlag
98 so its one of the earlier one.

Get a big stall????? The 3200 is big compaired to the stocker!!
Oh and DON'T! lose the clips for the transmission cooler lines.
I know, I know, I was a GM and ASE certified Master tech before I got into the aircraft biz so I know all of the tricks, bad thing is I have always had a lift! This 1 hour R&R has turned into a pain in the *** on my back with the car on jackstands! I miss my lift!! Dont diss my 3200, I am already pissed off enough to put it all back together and sell the 3200 and keep running the ole faithful stocker! I have never driven a stalled car so I cant miss what I dont know about. MOTIVATION not NEGATIVITY!!!LOL Thanks for the replys
Old 10-21-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Talking

Might want to have a rear main seal and coverplate gasket on hand just in case, you can get the Timken part # from Rock auto parts. Be a good time to have the driveshaft serviced (new u joints and rebalanced) and give a good look at the oil pressure sending unit on the back of the engine for oil leaks, and I am replacing my flexplate (SFI rated is a good idea with a stall and racing) when I do mine early next year, and I am not reuseing any of the old flexplate or TC bolts, all ARP for me. Good luck

Search this Thread