Sponsored by:

4L60E Converter advice please + adding ISS

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Converter advice please + adding ISS

Hello everyone,

I am swapping in a stock LS3 with a 4L60E into my C4. This is my first time playing with an automatic transmission and need some advice.

I picked up an almost new F-Body 4L60E from a member on this board. It included a TCI 2500 stall converter and I believe the trans has a shift kit as well. Is there any way to verify what the converter is? I just want to make sure.

The car is my daily driver with occasional drag and road racing, and the factory 2.59 rear gears will remain until the rear breaks. Would the TCI 2500 stall converter be a good match for my setup? Comfortable driving is my number one priority with this car and it will see plenty of So Cal traffic.

The other problem is that I picked up this trans before I knew that I needed a '08+ trans with an Input Speed Sensor. I might try another method first but if that doesn't work I will need to retrofit an ISS. I have heard that the parts to retrofit the ISS are around $600. Where would be a good place to pick up these parts?

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Teching In

I have done the ISS retrofit to a 4L60E in the last couple weeks as I am using a E38/T42 combo which requires an input speed sensor signal. Chuck from Finish Line Transmission knows all about it and gave me the part numbers required.

Input shaft/housing - 24230654 GM part no. I used Sonnax part no. 77733-04K instead

Pump cover - 24236486, you may need complete pump depending on the year your trans was built, I've tried to attach a GM service update with some info about the different pumps but it's too big to attach, do a Google search for: Document ID#1826145 2005 Cadillac CTS or Info-4L60-E/4L65-E/4L70-E Automatic Transmission Product Update #05-07-30-028A- (05/08/2006) This has some good info on the different pumps.

ISS sensor - 24244544

Valve body harness - 24234121

I only needed the sensor, harness and input shaft/housing as my 4L60E was built in 2006 and already had the correct pump required (it had a blanking plug where the input speed sensor goes) I sourced the input shaft/housing with the reluctor teeth from a Sonnax transmission parts distributor, I've listed the part number above, this has a hardened shaft and a reinforcing sleeve is fitted to the drum housing and comes with the required matching apply piston.

I sourced the sensor and loom from a GM dealer here in Australia but I think you can get them through www.gmpartsdirect.com in the States.

Hope this helps,

Jarrod
Old 11-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Teching In

After re-reading my post delete "you may need a complete pump depending on the year your trans was built" I believe that you should only need the pump cover as per the part number listed (which should come as a unit with the correct stator support shaft), you will be able to use your existing pump components to mate up to this newer style cover.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Converter advice please + adding ISS