Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a 97' F body trans fit in a 97' GMC 2wd 1/2 ton?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a 97' F body trans fit in a 97' GMC 2wd 1/2 ton?

The trans in my 97' GMC is starting to slip and lose it's 3-4 (surprise, surprise).

I can grab up a 4L60E out of a 97' F body for a couple hundred, will it work? Thanks!
Old 12-06-2009, 08:21 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will have to look if your vehicle is using a manual lever position sensor(MLPS) on the the side of the transmission. This is located where the shift linkage shaft goes into the trans. The fdody trans will have a short linkage. If you do have mlps the you will have to swap this linkage shaft. Also on the 97 case from the fbody make sure that there are bosses for the mounting of this switch and also that the holes are tapped. I believe that both cases are 4 bolt K cases so you should be good there with the inspection cover. Another thing you might have swap out from your old unit will be a sleeve that is pressed on the output shaft. This is there because originally your vehicle had a vented yoke. If you do not have a solid yoke you will get a leak in this area. The tail housing will have to be different but I think either will work in your vehicle because your mount bolts to the case. Good luck if this is the route you take. If your looking for a direct replacement/rebuilt let us know. Hope this helps. Vince
Old 12-06-2009, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank for the info! That's exactly what I needed.

Do you guys do just standard rebuilds lol? I'd love to have a FLT in my truck.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:04 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you would like to call and talk to Chuck or Andy maybe there is something we can work out. In reality or base unit is a level 3. Feel free to give us a call. Vince