Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? Anyway to get some money out of this $7000 paper weight sitting in my garage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? Anyway to get some money out of this $7000 paper weight sitting in my garage?

I'm talking about my 4l60e of course, and no its not worth 7 grand thats just how much i've spent fixing and upgrading it over the last 3 years. here's a quick breakdown of how that went...

$2800 cost of initial "full performance" re-build by local shop
$1200 one year later cracked flexplate destroyed my pump and stator
$1000 2 weeks later snapped output shaft/destroyed rear planet/cracked tailhousing
$750 6 months later flaired reverse input drum/gouged beast sunshell
$500 3 months later broke input sprag
$750 6 months later destroyed low roller and broke rear planet again

Now after the last fix the shop didnt get all the metal out of my verter which tore up the converter clutch and clutch material clogged my trans filter and I smoked every clutch except reverse in the transmission due to lack of fluid pressure and he tried to put that on me because I supplied the yank converter (which he installed for me for $200) and wanted to charge me another $1200 to replace all clutches and seals...

Obviously at this point I've had it with this shop and declined repair. Had the car towed home and took my transmission home in boxes and pieces.
I bought a good used 4l60 off e-bay out of a 07 gmc sierra 2wd for $200 this weekend and installed it myself but now I have this trans sitting in my garage in pieces that I've spent so much money on and I have no idea what to do with it Idk If I want to try to learn how to build one of these myself so i'd like to get something out of it if possible. here's a list of a few of the upgraded hard parts it has off the top of my head;

Beast sunshell, gm 5 pinion planets, hardened output shaft, borg warner 29 element input sprag, circle D billit overrun piston, I believe he did something with the input drum to make it stronger and then its got a transgo shift kit. had the larger 2-4 band, alto red clutches and z-pack 3-4 clutches but those are all smoked now...

So there it is my $7000 paperweight. . . So depressing thinking about how fast my car would be by now if it wern't for all this... So anyway i can make some money off this either as a package deal or dissasemble and part it out? oh yea I also have a good stock torque converter from the 07 sierra i dont need, 50k miles on it?
Old 12-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Launching!

I dont get how your smoking them so fast with only bolt ons especially with an a4

i have a stock 4l60e in my camaro with full bolt ons and a yank 4000 stall and have had no problems. Im running a big transmission cooler though

are you running a cooler?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Launching!

yea he installed a cooler the first time i ever went to him with the first "performance build" been running it ever since.

Its got all good parts in it I think its just a matter of him not knowing how to set it up to last, for instance my 1-2 shift has always been pretty harsh since I brought the car to him and I believe thats one of the reasons for my extensive broken hard parts list.
I've been telling him that, and he drives the car each time he knows, but everytime I pick it up he never seems to have done anything about it and has tried to blame the harsh shifts on my tune before or tried to blame it on my stall instead of fixing the issue in the valve body which is where I'm sure the issue is... or was i should say.

Its never been a problem with over heating just broken hard parts untill this last time when i smoked the clutches but thats because my filter was completly clogged
Old 12-14-2009, 06:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Ecessive harsh shifts can indeed result in hard parts failure but while they can be caused by and overly agressive shift kit or blocked accums as some do, it can indeed be caused in tuning also if the line presure has been raised in conjunction with a shift kit. Some people beleave that the hardest shift possible is the solution for durability either in tuning or shift kit set up. The truth is its a balancing act you want the shift firm enough not to slip under throttle but not so much as to overly stress hard parts. Thats why many when they try for instance a home build with all the right parts still fail because they do not understand this.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Launching!

bump for anyone wanting some good trans parts? I'll get rid of everything cheap make me an offer...