Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700r4 question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default 700r4 question...

Background: Car is a '86 Camaro that originally had a 305 TBI w/ auto trans. Installed a carbureted 350, removed the computer and engine wire harness, so everything is manual now.

Problem: Car does not shift out of 1st, it shifted fine before installation of the new engine.

Question: What is the sensor located on the drivers side of the transmission (not the VSS)? It has a square 4-prong connector that goes into it, only three prongs are being used with (1) pink wire, (1) light green wire, and (1) orange/black wire. I think that sensor is what is not allowing the trans to shift properly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The 700r4 shift points are controlled by the TV cable that would be hooked to the carb or the throttle body, The electrical on them only has to do with converter lockup.
I would look at the tv cable first

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-16-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by performabuilt
The 700r4 shift points are controlled by the TV cable that would be hooked to the carb or the throttle body, The electrical on them only has to do with converter lockup.
I would look at the tv cable first
We just installed a new TV cable last night and I adjusted it a few times incresing/decreasing tension, but no adjust ment allowed the trans to shift out of first. Even if it was not adjusted properly, I figured it would atleast shift lazily, but it's not shifting at all.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would check the teeth on the govenor gear then and the valve in it.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These 700R4's can be a bit peculiar. If this unit still has the OEM checkball in the case at the TV cable bracket assembly, the following may be your problem. When I worked at the Chevy dealership, everyonce in a while I would forget to hook up the TV cable before I started the engine. When I did this and drove the vehicle, it caused the TV valve to stick in the valve body which caused a no shift or a very high shift out of 1st gear.
Sometimes after the cable was adjusted properly I was able to make the transmission shift. However, most times I had to remove the valve body and un-stick the valve.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by darkhorsebob
These 700R4's can be a bit peculiar. If this unit still has the OEM checkball in the case at the TV cable bracket assembly, the following may be your problem. When I worked at the Chevy dealership, everyonce in a while I would forget to hook up the TV cable before I started the engine. When I did this and drove the vehicle, it caused the TV valve to stick in the valve body which caused a no shift or a very high shift out of 1st gear.
Sometimes after the cable was adjusted properly I was able to make the transmission shift. However, most times I had to remove the valve body and un-stick the valve.
How difficult is it to remove the valve? How exactly did you unstick the valve?